Friday 5: Favorite city/town names in your state

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I used to live in Illinois so here is my list with a twist. It is my all Mediterranean Illinois towns.

Sparta
Troy
Venice
Cairo
Lebanon
Illinois is also home to, maybe, the worst-named town in the country in Country Club Hills. You're just asking for people to make generalizations about your population. It really sounds like something made up on the Simpsons.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Illinois is also home to, maybe, the worst-named town in the country in Country Club Hills. You're just asking for people to make generalizations about your population. It really sounds like something made up on the Simpsons.

I know nothing about Country Club Hills, but if it doesn't have at least 4 golf courses, it's a Massive Fail.

Also, 3 of those 4 have to be private courses. Public course: Par-3 only. (With mini-golf!).

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Country Club Hills is not what most people assume it will be.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It is a bit of a tangent on this thread, but I am mildly amused by the alternative pronunciations of town names in Iowa:

Nevada ("ne-vay-da")
Madrid ("'mad-rid")

Are there others? And how did they get their alternative pronunciations? Was it intentional (or just not knowing better)?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
It may very well be from the Simpsons since there are both a Springfield and Shelbyville in Illinois. ;)
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
It is a bit of a tangent on this thread, but I am mildly amused by the alternative pronunciations of town names in Iowa:

Nevada ("ne-vay-da")
Madrid ("'mad-rid")

Are there others? And how did they get their alternative pronunciations? Was it intentional (or just not knowing better)?
Des Moines (duh-moin)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Des Moines (duh-moin)

Actually, I think that "de moin" is probably close to the French pronunciation. Is there another more famous city that is actually called "Dess Moins?"

Of course there is Des Plaines near Chicago pronounced "Dess Plains." I love it when new newscasters from Iowa come to town and pronounce it "de plain."

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Actually, I think that "de moin" is probably close to the French pronunciation. Is there another more famous city that is actually called "Dess Moins?"

Of course there is Des Plaines near Chicago pronounced "Dess Plains." I love it when new newscasters from Iowa come to town and pronounce it "de plain."
So Des Moines is pronounced correctly and Des Plaines is incorrect? French is weird. Maybe the Des (duh) is correct and Moines should have a z sound at the end.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Delhi. Good one. I knew it but couldn't remember it. Do they pronounce it DEL-hi or DEL-he? And why?
Also Monticello (mon-ti-SEL-oh)

Most of the cities named Monticello around the country get their name from Jefferson's home which is pronounced mon-ti-CHEL-oh but pronounce it differently.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

Help Support Us

Become a patron