MLB: Fredi Gonzalez Next Cubs Manager?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Do any of you guys who want Sandberg to be manager actually know his managerial style? The guy loves bunting, he loves guys that ground out to move the runner from second to third, he likes to run with guys who aren't good base stealers. He gives away outs like crazy. He's also never been on a major league coaching staff as a base coach or hitting coach or anything. It's one thing to manage 18-22 year olds who are just trying to make it to the majors, it's a whole other situation when you're dealing with grown men who are multi-millionaires, they might be as receptive to some of his coaching advice.

Ding, ding, ding. Winner winner chicken dinner. The guy loves small ball and he even bunted with the #3 hitter at one point when he was managing. He just isn't ready yet, he should at least be a bench coach for a season or two before being a manager.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Do any of you guys who want Sandberg to be manager actually know his managerial style? The guy loves bunting, he loves guys that ground out to move the runner from second to third, he likes to run with guys who aren't good base stealers. He gives away outs like crazy. He's also never been on a major league coaching staff as a base coach or hitting coach or anything. It's one thing to manage 18-22 year olds who are just trying to make it to the majors, it's a whole other situation when you're dealing with grown men who are multi-millionaires, they might be as receptive to some of his coaching advice.

ICubs season ticket holder.

I think he's a bit bi-polar. He's agressive as hell for much of the game, then tends to pucker. Very concerned about his "style" and decsions earlier in the season - not so much anymore.

Then again, I like small-ball and manufacturing runs. If he thinks moving the guy from 2nd to 3rd with his #3 is a better move than just getting an out - so be it. Sometimes you need that type of attitude - as evidence by Chicago's inability to hit it's way out of a wet-paper sack this summer.

I agree, I'd like to see him on the bench for a year or two. And I think giving Brenley a 3 year deal might be the answer to this. Put him in there and put Ryno on his bench.

Not worried about his needing to deal with grown millionaires. Again, he is one and played with plenty over the years.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
ICubs season ticket holder.

I think he's a bit bi-polar. He's agressive as hell for much of the game, then tends to pucker. Very concerned about his "style" and decsions earlier in the season - not so much anymore.

Then again, I like small-ball and manufacturing runs. If he thinks moving the guy from 2nd to 3rd with his #3 is a better move than just getting an out - so be it. Sometimes you need that type of attitude - as evidence by Chicago's inability to hit it's way out of a wet-paper sack this summer.

I agree, I'd like to see him on the bench for a year or two. And I think giving Brenley a 3 year deal might be the answer to this. Put him in there and put Ryno on his bench.

Not worried about his needing to deal with grown millionaires. Again, he is one and played with plenty over the years.

Anyone who thinks this is wrong, I don't want the Cubs to have any manager with that attitude. The chances of you scoring with a guy on third and one out are significantly less than a guy on second and no outs. All you're doing is giving away outs. If you don't feel like your 3rd hitter can drive in a run from second base, then he should not be hitting that high in the order.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Anyone who thinks this is wrong, I don't want the Cubs to have any manager with that attitude. The chances of you scoring with a guy on third and one out are significantly less than a guy on second and no outs. All you're doing is giving away outs. If you don't feel like your 3rd hitter can drive in a run from second base, then he should not be hitting that high in the order.

So you don't think a sac bunt is ever in order?

Who was this #3 hitter we're talking about anyway?

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
I think most Cubs fans would agree that it would really suck if Ryno got away from the organization and started winning with another team.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

No, if there is a runner already in scoring position and the middle of the order coming up, you should never sac bunt.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

The only time I find bunting to be acceptable is when there is a runner on 1st and 0 outs during the 9th inning or later. And that's if the right batter is hitting.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The only time I find bunting to be acceptable is when there is a runner on 1st and 0 outs during the 9th inning or later. And that's if the right batter is hitting.

So if you're in the 3rd inning, runner on 1st, no outs, and the pitcher is hitting, you should just let him strike out?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Using a #3 hitter to bunt a guy from 2nd to 3rd? There had better be a very good reason for that. Otherwise you're just wasting someone who's likely the best hitter on your team. I mean, it's not like he's moving the guy into scoring position - he's already there, and I think he'd be better served trying to get the base hit to knock him home from second than just moving him over to 3rd.

Yes, I'm a Twins fan, a team that epitomizes "small ball". But even Gardy got into it earlier this year with Mauer when he laid down a bunt (yes, different situation - Mauer was going for straight base hit, but the point remains).

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Forgot about the pitcher but my point still is bunting and small in general is just a waste of outs.

The best teams know how to grind out runs with "small ball" when hits are in short supply.

With exceptions, an out is never a waste if the end result is pushing a run across the plate. Baseball is low scoring enough that that run often times means the difference between a win and a loss.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Forgot about the pitcher but my point still is bunting and small ball in general is just a waste of outs.

Depending on who is at the plate, possibly. However, there are times where bunting is is definitely the most logical course of action during any point of the game.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Using a #3 hitter to bunt a guy from 2nd to 3rd? There had better be a very good reason for that. Otherwise you're just wasting someone who's likely the best hitter on your team. I mean, it's not like he's moving the guy into scoring position - he's already there, and I think he'd be better served trying to get the base hit to knock him home from second than just moving him over to 3rd.

Yes, I'm a Twins fan, a team that epitomizes "small ball". But even Gardy got into it earlier this year with Mauer when he laid down a bunt (yes, different situation - Mauer was going for straight base hit, but the point remains).

That's why I asked who we were talking about. Not alot of context to this arguement.

If he's talking about Hoff, Dubois or someone, I'm inclined to agree.

If we're talking about the bottom of the ninth after a double switch or something, maybe not.

It's also a question of who's up, how they're doing, etc. On the surface, it doesn't look like the best decision. But I don't know otherwise.

I'll just say that rarely do I sit there and say "man, that was dumb" with the exception of the aforementioned "puckering" that I think Ryno is prone to. Not sure I agree at all with the idea he "gives away outs". If anything, I complain he's not aggressive enough.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The best teams know how to grind out runs with "small ball" when hits are in short supply.

With exceptions, an out is never a waste if the end result is pushing a run across the plate. Baseball is low scoring enough that that run often times means the difference between a win and a loss.

Yes, you can score a run and still waste outs. You could easily turn a big inning into a one run inning because you gave up an out to move a guy 90 ft.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Depending on who is at the plate, possibly. However, there are times where bunting is is definitely the most logical course of action during any point of the game.

This. For instance, if Valencia is sitting at first with one out and Punto is coming to the plate, and the Twins need one run, there is no way in HELL I want Punto swinging away...

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yes, you can score a run and still waste outs. You could easily turn a big inning into a one run inning because you gave up an out to move a guy 90 ft.

First, I said "With exceptions".

Second, you can just as easily waste a golden opportunity when runs and hits are in short supply because of the mentality that you just HAVE to go for the big inning. You know how the Twins won through most of the 2000s? They didn't waste opportunities when presented to them - they weren't too big to grind out runs.

Last edited:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

So you're saying instead of investing my money in the stock market, I should go over to Prairie meadows and throw it all down on the black jack table?

agronclone

Jul 25, 2009
des moines
Ryno as a bench or base coach next season won't help him out that much. I think a lot of people don't know that Ryno is the 3rd base coach for the I-cubs. So he already has that experience.
I think the managerial job will be filled by whatever kind of team Ricketts wants. If he wants to go young and fast, such as Tampa Bay, then I think Ryno is the man for the job. If he wants to go veteran (and there isn't much evidence that is the case), then Girardi should be offered the job. If he wants a mix of both (my guess), then someone like B.B. could fit the mold.
Also, would you rather pay Girardi 6 mil or hire Ryno for 3 mil, and spend the extra cash on a player that can help the team? That's a tough call. If managers don't mean that much to a team, as some people contend, then spending the money on a player would probably be a better idea.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
First, I said "With exceptions".

Second, you can just as easily waste a golden opportunity when runs and hits are in short supply because of the mentality that you just HAVE to go for the big inning.

You're still going to need somebody to get a hit at some point. You're not wasting a golden opportunity at all. The odds of scoring a run with a guy on second and no outs is greater than a guy on third and one out, the odds of scoring a run with a guy on first and no outs are greater than a guy on second and one out. In all those situations you're hurting your chances by bunting.

There are very few situations where you should bunt, with a pitcher at the plate or late in the game moving a runner from first to second with a weak batter are about the only times it's beneficial.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Ryno as a bench or base coach next season won't help him out that much. I think a lot of people don't know that Ryno is the 3rd base coach for the I-cubs. So he already has that experience.
I think the managerial job will be filled by whatever kind of team Ricketts wants. If he wants to go young and fast, such as Tampa Bay, then I think Ryno is the man for the job. If he wants to go veteran (and there isn't much evidence that is the case), then Girardi should be offered the job. If he wants a mix of both (my guess), then someone like B.B. could fit the mold.
Also, would you rather pay Girardi 6 mil or hire Ryno for 3 mil, and spend the extra cash on a player that can help the team? That's a tough call. If managers don't mean that much to a team, as some people contend, then spending the money on a player would probably be a better idea.

For the record, I don't want Girardi as the manager of the Cubs either. I want someone I have never heard of before. I'm done with big name managers, the amount of money you have to pay them and the amount of difference a manager makes in a game is not worth it.