Fred on radio at 9:20 with P Allen

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Iowa is a very good team, and has the potential to be a great team. Fran needs to learn to control his temper, and personally, I think he needs to use a smaller rotation, and take a look at his starting line-up, but that may be only my opinion.

I don't think most ISU fans have any problem with the Iowa team......it's the Iowa fans we can't handle. I've never had a Scout or Rivals membership, but even without that it is still possible to read some other school's boards, including Iowa's. I go there sometimes for laughs, although if you do have memberships with Rivals or Scout I suggest you not visit those boards, because the urge to respond to the idiocy there might be over-whelming for you. They like to claim we have this "little brother" syndrome, yet if you go over to HR most any time, you will see at least 4 or 5 threads about ISU on their main basketball board. Most of course is about how they did not lose the game, Iowa is really the better team, ISU's day is coming when they start to play more on the road, and boy.....would they like a re-match on a neutral court. It is truly funny how so self-righteous and entitled they think they and their teams have become. It is good for a laugh if nothing else.

So again, Iowa is a good basketball team, and they may get better. Their fan base, on the other hand is pretty much delusional, and there probably is no cure for them. At least I have never seen it as long as I have been alive, and that is longer than most of you reading this.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I'm sure people would admit they are good if they weren't the hawkeyes and had such terrible fans. Seriously, who wants to tell a lot of those arrogant, ******** they have a good team? Iowa has a good team, but they have terrible fans who make it really easy to cheer against good basketball.

Totally agree, but objectively it's stupid to act as if they aren't. Giving them **** is easy though, yes. It's just funny that when our coach even says they are good and some people are still like "OMG NO!" about it.

I do agree though, they have terrible fans and there's a lot of teams out there who don't like their fans, not just ISU.

Last edited:

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
The difference between good and great teams is how they play after the final media time out. Great teams find a way to win, good/average teams try to not lose.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I just heard PA angry at the end of the show. He was justifying having Fred on over Pitino. LOL some Gopher hole tools must have been emailing him.

He said Fred has a top 10 team. Case closed.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Fred to Minny thing is funny. Why would Fred go to a team that has sucked since it's inception and has never shown that it could compete. Fred is smarter than that. At least when Tim Floyd left it was for the Bulls. A team that showed that it wants to compete.

Actually the Minnesota T Wolves job is a much better situation than when Floyd left for the Bulls. Jordan pretty much neutered Floyd referring to him as "Pink", Floyd was set up to fail.

No pressure with T-Wolves job at all. And I have no doubt, just like Hornacek in Phoenix, he would do very very well.

Unlike some here, I do think he would seriously consider it, he spent a lot of time in the Twin Cities.
It's what a 3 hour drive to Ames so still close to grandparents. Never say never.

Would feel much better if the T-Wolves were in the East where they probably make the playoffs on a consistent basis.

People will try to justify all the want, about home town hero, kids in school, building a program not just a team etc etc. And they are all valid reasons. But successful coaches are that because they are competitive and want to test their skills at the highest level. Fred has brought stability back to the program, and I don't think he leaves anytime soon. But if he does, will not hold any ill will towards him, ( I am sure many will) guy has paid ISU back ten times over.

I do think Vaughn decision, will have a big influence on whether Fred wants this college thing long term. He has been on this guy since he was in middle school, ISU has about as much positive publicity as it will ever get, there is a chance for a very special season.
At some point to compete with the blue bloods, on a consistent level you need that special recruit to pick you. If Vaughn goes somewhere else at this point Kentucky or UNC, I am not sure what else you can do to try and get those truly elite players to come to ISU. And like it our not to sustain a high level program you are going to need to get at least 1 top 50 kid year in and year out, if not 2.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Let's get those trolls out. Here is one depth comparison.
Kane > Marble
Niang > Woody
Ejim > White
Hogue > Uthoff
Monte = Gessell
Edozie = Basabe
Long > Jok
Matt T > Oglesby
Percy = McCabe
SDW > Clemmons
Ellerman > Stokes
Olaseni > lack of Clone depth
Meyer > lack of Clone depth
Denning > lack of Clone depth
Ukah > lack of Clone depth

It it turned into a fouling game, UI wins due to more depth. Olaseni five fouls would come in handy.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Fred to Minny thing is funny. Why would Fred go to a team that has sucked since it's inception and has never shown that it could compete. Fred is smarter than that. At least when Tim Floyd left it was for the Bulls. A team that showed that it wants to compete.

Yeah...it is not like he has a history of choosing places he has a previous history with. :skeptical:

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Common man reading e-mails meant to go to PA after having Hoiberg on.

Seriously classic. They were blaming PA for hurting the Gopher program! THIS IS HILARIOUS!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Common man reading e-mails meant to go to PA after having Hoiberg on.

Seriously classic. They were blaming PA for hurting the Gopher program! THIS IS HILARIOUS!
You would think we were rivals. For a school we never play, they have some hurt cheeks up there.

*assuming there are Gopher fans

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
They won't admit it, but Gopher fans are scared of Fred and want him in the NBA ASAP. While we don't play each other, Fred can really start cleaning up in Minnesota and they know that. Plus it's a heap of jealousy.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I was in the Twin Cities the day Vaughn reduced his list. The media was kind of getting on Pitino about how he has missed on the hometown boys.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I was in the Twin Cities the day Vaughn reduced his list. The media was kind of getting on Pitino about how he has missed on the hometown boys.

Which is ridiculous. He had almost no chance with those kids to begin with.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
They won't admit it, but Gopher fans are scared of Fred and want him in the NBA ASAP. While we don't play each other, Fred can really start cleaning up in Minnesota and they know that. Plus it's a heap of jealousy.
Of course message board junkies are, but does the average fan know about recruiting?
Hopefully Vaughn, Illikainen, Johnson, and Gary Trent Jr all wear the Cardinal and Gold.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Of course message board junkies are, but does the average fan know about recruiting?
Hopefully Vaughn, Illikainen, Johnson, and Gary Trent Jr all wear the Cardinal and Gold.

Have to think we'd at least have a good foot in the door with Trent Jr. seeing as Fred played with his dad on the T-Wolves.

And LOL at people getting on PA's case for not having Pitino or Tubby on the show. I guarantee that 90% of the MN listening audience wouldn't give a **** about that hypothetical segment unless the Gophers were poised to win the Big Ten or make a deep tourney run.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Who knows if/when Fred will move on. I will say this, though. If Vaughn ends up committing to ISU, I don't think we'll have to worry about Fred leaving after this season.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Have to think we'd at least have a good foot in the door with Trent Jr. seeing as Fred played with his dad on the T-Wolves.

And LOL at people getting on PA's case for not having Pitino or Tubby on the show. I guarantee that 90% of the MN listening audience wouldn't give a **** about that hypothetical segment unless the Gophers were poised to win the Big Ten or make a deep tourney run.

PA mentioned he asked to have Pitino on and got nothing back from the U.