Fred coming up on Mike and Mike

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
The ref's #1 job when the ball's in play is to watch what's playing out on the court. UNC immediately threw the ball in bounds. If they would have waited longer the timeout would've been issued. Carolina screwed up not the refs.

I'm so sick of this talk. There was 1.6 seconds on the clock. It would be an absolute miracle if they somehow made a shot in that frame of time.
I noticed that Roy is also not using the traditional "T with the hands" signal and instead goes for the "two hands on shoulders" approach. Could have been part of the reason the ref missed it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Mike and Mike suck. That show is just stale.

Chicago likes it because it's 90% NFL. It's the only national show that's been able to do well here. Every other show on the radio here is exactly like DAAAA BEARS from SNL. That seems like a parody but it's more of a documentary recreation.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Regardless, it is national exposure. Anytime we can get ISU in the national media for positive things, I like it. Imagine if we beat UConn in MSG. ESPN is practically the voice of the UConn Huskies.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Can't believe there is any debate. It was 1.6 seconds. When they inbounded the ball immediately (as in, within a half second), they were screwed. No way the ref has time to watch them inbound and then turn around and see the UNC coach calling time out. If he had whipped his head around, maybe they have .7, passing in from 3/4 court. Either way, the mistake is on UNC for throwing the ball in.

cydoge

Nov 14, 2013
Ankeny
I noticed that Roy is also not using the traditional "T with the hands" signal and instead goes for the "two hands on shoulders" approach. Could have been part of the reason the ref missed it.

Also it appears he wasn't making that signal to the refs, a ref runs past him and Roy completely ignores him. I think he was telling his players to come to half court then call the time out. UNC just screwed up.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can't believe there is any debate. It was 1.6 seconds. When they inbounded the ball immediately (as in, within a half second), they were screwed. No way the ref has time to watch them inbound and then turn around and see the UNC coach calling time out. If he had whipped his head around, maybe they have .7, passing in from 3/4 court. Either way, the mistake is on UNC for throwing the ball in.

Any play inbounded where they inbounded it needed to be a mid court heave. It wasn't, so they didn't get a shot off.

The player may have looked up at the clock, but he also should have saw it said 1.6 when they inbounded with 3/4 of the court to cover.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

they said many times that they agreed with the call and thought it was handled correctly. they were asking in a hypothetical situation maybe with a little more time, is it fair for the player to have to operate by real time rather than being able to use the clock.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Not one UNC player called for a timeout until they got across halfcourt. Time obviously should have run out by then, plus the kid with the ball traveled.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What they needed to do was a bullet pass to half court and call the time out for a 1 second shot at winning the game. Instead they passed it short and it never stood a chance. As far as Roy saying he wanted an immediate TO called to set up a full court play, that's BS. With 2 TOs left, maybe he wanted the TO called immediately to make sure they pass to half court and call another immediate TO to set up one last play, but there's no way Roy is setting up a full court play in that situation. Those rarely ever work - about the only time they do is the tournament legends everyone remembers, like Duke-Kentucky or Valpo-Ole Miss. But for every one of those there's hundreds of failed similar plays.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Those rarely ever work - about the only time they do is the tournament legends everyone remembers, like Duke-Kentucky or Valpo-Ole Miss. But for every one of those there's hundreds of failed similar plays.

Good point, but I still wouldn't have wanted to find out what was going to happen if they put time back on the clock.

MayorsAge

Mar 24, 2014
Love that he mentioned that he has already watched the UNC game film and is starting to scout UConn. Give him 5-7 days to game plan for this weekend and I like our chances

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Chicago likes it because it's 90% NFL. It's the only national show that's been able to do well here. Every other show on the radio here is exactly like DAAAA BEARS from SNL. That seems like a parody but it's more of a documentary recreation.

I can't ******* stand Mully and Hanley on The Score. They are complete idiots.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Love that he mentioned that he has already watched the UNC game film and is starting to scout UConn. Give him 5-7 days to game plan for this weekend and I like our chances

He's like our own personal Hannibal Smith. Someone get Fred a cigar.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
The thing I don't understand is when there was the long delay between when McAdoo made his last FT and ISU had the ball out of bounds why wouldn't Roy tell his guys in the huddle what he wanted to do in either situation, a made basket by ISU or not. I put that back on Roy for not setting up his players during what seemed to be a 10 minute delay.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

Unfortunately on the Score, that is totally accurate.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Unfortunately on the Score, that is totally accurate.

It is BRUTAL. People complain about KXNO...it doesn't get better with bigger markets. It truly is bearss, bearsss, bearsss, bearssss, bearsss. I'd truly welcome some polish sausage talk in all reality. If you're not all bearsss all the time you have to be boring national NFL talk like Mike & Mike.

Help Support Us

Become a patron