Fran McCaffrey new Transfer Portal Move

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thing is satire, even bad satire, is generally protected against libel judgements but satire is not a protection against people bringing suit against you. The point of many (most?) libel suits seems to be more about punishing or intimidating via cost to defend cases the plaintiff really can't win.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Thing is satire, even bad satire, is generally protected against libel judgements but satire is not a protection against people bringing suit against you. The point of many (most?) libel suits seems to be more about punishing or intimidating via cost to defend cases the plaintiff really can't win.
The fact that they expected that a site like WRNL, who lives neck deep in targeted humor and satire 365 days a year, would be intimidated by their demand to take the article down is the most hilarious part to me.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
"While Connor’s initial refusal to move away from home to the University of Iowa’s sprawling, dull campus filled with high school burnouts and first-round Big Ten Tournament losses remains unclear"

This partial sentence is making me laugh!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
That's kind of where I'm at. The article really isn't funny at all, but U of I taking the time to address something that's obvious satire is a bit funny.
Careful, I've been getting bombarded with "Dumb" ratings all morning for saying things like this.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The fact that they expected that a site like WRNL, who lives neck deep in targeted humor and satire 365 days a year, would be intimidated by their demand to take the article down is the most hilarious part to me.

I would be a bad look as a public intuition to actually take them to court but they could, couldn't win but would be costly. It's a bad look for them either way (1) to suggest legal action (2) than to wimp out and not take any legal action which is the likely outcome via their real legal peeps. I suspect the Iowa legal peeps are a bit pissed at the athletics communications peeps for going all Twitter legal without taking to them first.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
"While Connor’s initial refusal to move away from home to the University of Iowa’s sprawling, dull campus filled with high school burnouts and first-round Big Ten Tournament losses remains unclear"

This partial sentence is making me laugh!
I actually didn't like this one. Iowa hasn't even played in the first round of the Big 10 Tourney since like 2018. High school burnouts lands though, good line.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Careful, I've been getting bombarded with "Dumb" ratings all morning for saying things like this.

I mean, I get it to an extent. I imagine this is their standard response to something of this nature. But it's not like it would have been at all hard to just let it go given the fact there's little-to-no risk anyone would see this as anything but satire, albeit very unfunny satire.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Slapp Suits

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
it wasn’t their funniest work but the line about how Connor gets one, cold hug from Fran a year was VERY funny.

LMAO I completely agree. I also really liked how they referred to him as Fran's second favorite son.

Help Support Us

Become a patron