Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
The thing with Iowa bball is they try to look like they're playing defense and it's clear they've prepped well on it...they just can't do it. You can't have Bobo out there trying to stop the ball and expect it to happen.
They seem to have a lot of guys with slow feet for defense.

Reactions: CycloneVet

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
According to Quinn Douglas, Bobo was a good defender when he wanted to be.

Iowa fan:
-Garza's athletic for his size.
-Bobo would make a good sharp shooter off the bench in the NBA.
-Connor does so many things off the stat sheet.
-Brad Davison and WI are dirty, Iowa's antics are just competitive fire.
-The B1G, with few teams out of 14 that are even top 30 in defense, with a schedule that doesn't include everyone twice, is a grind.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
It's amazing to see them squirm trying to figure out how they should respond.

-Fran is doing terrible in the portal, while ISU has signed several:
"Fran's doing it the right way. The portal is not a recipe for long term success. That's why he's focusing on high schoolers."

Iowa State is bringing in more high school players than Fran this year:
"But ISU plays so slow. Their fans aren't going to want to watch."

ISU fans will watch us beat Iowa by 20 and go to the sweet 16:
"Iowa won 26 games last year and had a player of the year candidate!"

And that added up to what? A first round loss?:
"Iowa had a bad draw. We didn't have enough rest!"

You played an A-10 team who had the same amount of rest as Iowa did.:
"The ball was rigged! The refs were against us! Jorbo had a canker sore! The groundhog saw his shadow! The dog ate my homework! My alarm didn't go off! The traffic was terrible! The illuminati were working with the lizard people! Hanging chads!!!!!!'

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

"Fran's doing it the right way. The portal is not a recipe for long term success. That's why he's focusing on high schoolers."

"The ball was rigged! The refs were against us! Jorbo had a canker sore! The groundhog saw his shadow! The dog ate my homework! My alarm didn't go off! The traffic was terrible! The illuminati were working with the lizard people! Hanging chads!!!!!!'
being anti-portal at all is just asinine. College sports are as close to a FA as ever -- your goal as a program should always be to upgrade talent. Period. End of story.

Choosing to not do that is choosing to fall behind and fail.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
being anti-portal at all is just asinine. College sports are as close to a FA as ever -- your goal as a program should always be to upgrade talent. Period. End of story.

Choosing to not do that is choosing to fall behind and fail.
Not to mention they're entirely hypocritical about it. They're not against the portal until Fran strikes out. No complaints when they're in talks with that guy from Utah State or Tre Mitchell or the guy who ended up picking ole miss. But the second they pick someone else: "The portal is wrong! I'm glad we didn't get anyone! They aren't going there because of the education!"

It's phony and transparent and stupid.

It's like if I was trying to book a flight to Las Vegas, and there were no seats left on any airline, so I insist that I always wanted to travel by car in the first place.

Reactions: MeowingCows

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

It's got to sting to have two generational talents go through and have absolutely zero to show for it because your coach will not round out a roster because it would hurt his kid's playing time. So in a sense I don't blame them for excuses. Deflection at its finest.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

Good list but you forgot the Hawkiest thing of all: Jamie Pollard was responsible for their horrible draw.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Here's a good question for you all to ponder. Would you take Fran over any B12 coach to lead your program going forward?
Tang has zero HC experience and every other HC other than Boynton has coached in atleast the S16.

• Haha
Reactions: MeowingCows

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
It's got to sting to have two generational talents go through and have absolutely zero to show for it because your coach will not round out a roster because it would hurt his kid's playing time. So in a sense I don't blame them for excuses. Deflection at its finest.
It's not just 'cuz of his kids. Fran has never rounded a roster out, like, ever.

Reactions: CycloneVet

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Here's a good question for you all to ponder. Would you take Fran over any B12 coach to lead your program going forward?
Tang has zero HC experience and every other HC other than Boynton has coached in atleast the S16.
The only reason Duke didn't call is because of the guy in waiting, otherwise Fran was top of the list!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Easy answer: No. The nepotism and tantrums at refs would be enough for me, even if he was capable of making a Sweet 16. I would like TJ to be more in the refs ears, and the same for Prohm, but not at a maniac level like Fran.