Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
When it comes to this offseason, I'm not sure how any Hawkeye fan can say that Fran has been anything other than a disaster, with a straight face. Yes, he made an effort, but he's struck out on everyone other than a retread who couldn't find any other takers and had to come back to Iowa. They've taken some big swings and missed on all of them. There's no sugar coating that. And if Kris Murray ends up staying in the draft, I'm not sure how you can go into next season with any optimism at all.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
When it comes to this offseason, I'm not sure how any Hawkeye fan can say that Fran has been anything other than a disaster, with a straight face. Yes, he made an effort, but he's struck out on everyone other than a retread who couldn't find any other takers and had to come back to Iowa. They've taken some big swings and missed on all of them. There's no sugar coating that. And if Kris Murray ends up staying in the draft, I'm not sure how you can go into next season with any optimism at all.
It takes more than 12 years to dig a program out of a Lickliter sized hole.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Can't wait to hear how NIL, nba early entries, losing guys to the portal and losing assistant coaches is just too high a mountain to expect a coach to overcome. You just know Fran is going to get sympathy and some extra miles after going through this tumultuous offseason

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Can't wait to hear how NIL, nba early entries, losing guys to the portal and losing assistant coaches is just too high a mountain to expect a coach to overcome. You just know Fran is going to get sympathy and some extra miles after going through this tumultuous offseason
And right after he finally got the cupboard stocked after the Lickleiter years. Guy can’t catch a break

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
If Franny is going after a 6’7” forward all of a sudden, maybe the more isn’t as much optimism Kris will return.
If that’s not the reason, seems harder to promise Kris he’ll be “the man” when you try to bring in basically another guys like him.

Fran really has no idea what he’s doing lol

Reactions: carvers4math

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
If Franny is going after a 6’7” forward all of a sudden, maybe the more isn’t as much optimism Kris will return.
If that’s not the reason, seems harder to promise Kris he’ll be “the man” when you try to bring in basically another guys like him.

Fran really has no idea what he’s doing lol
I agree that going after a "clone" of Kris seems to be pointing in the direction that Kris will stay in the draft. I think, when it comes to the portal, you are right in that Fran has no idea what he is doing. I also think his lack of transfer market IQ is his unwillingness to embrace it very much and the fact that, other than Uthoff, it has not provided any significant success stories for them. Additionally, their fan-base has consistently bashed the transfer market - calling those in the portal "thugs." Because of these things, top transfers are NOT likely to seriously consider Iowa a destination. Fran is caught in a bad position because of this. Until he embraces the transfer market as a priority option (rather than a "last resort"), the Hoks main portal wins will continue to be against the likes of Eastern Illinois and IUPUI.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I agree that going after a "clone" of Kris seems to be pointing in the direction that Kris will stay in the draft. I think, when it comes to the portal, you are right in that Fran has no idea what he is doing. I also think his lack of transfer market IQ is his unwillingness to embrace it very much and the fact that, other than Uthoff, it has not provided any significant success stories for them. Additionally, their fan-base has consistently bashed the transfer market - calling those in the portal "thugs." Because of these things, top transfers are NOT likely to seriously consider Iowa a destination. Fran is caught in a bad position because of this. Until he embraces the transfer market as a priority option (rather than a "last resort"), the Hoks main portal wins will continue to be against the likes of Eastern Illinois and IUPUI.
The only reason Fran ended up with Uthoff is for obvious reasons.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006

Yeah. Whether the entire list is fake remains to be seen. However, the fact that Iowa is on that list at all is what never made sense. If Brooks is looking for equivalent NIL money at his next destination - he ain't getting that at EIU. If $ is not the ultimate deciding factor as to where he plays next, the Hoks make no sense either. They haven't made a Sweet sixteen in forever & are routinely bounced in the first round/play-in game.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I think Iowa is probably trying for Brooks. But it doesn't make sense for a couple reasons

1) They have only gotten 1 target to even visit so far and it's May 16... Keion Brooks seems pretty out of their league with that in mind
2) They already have somewhat of a log jam of forwards.. Sandfort, Patrick, Kris M, and even Rebraca is more of an undersized 5.

I guess maybe it's a throw your hat in the ring backup option if Kris leaves?

Help Support Us

Become a patron