Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
You didn't see this gem from his "no excuses" thread? First time I've heard this one. Wilson ball, hockey arena, JP on the committee...Hawks never had a chance.

There definitely was a weird vibe in the arena. There were about 10-12 times the referees went to the monitors and they were always going to the coaches on both sides to “explain” things. As far as fatigue, I could see that a little, but playing in a hockey arena had a different backdrop for shooting. Neither team shot great, but my HS coach was there with us and he made the comment about backdrop for shooting. Sometimes it is little things like that, but the energy level did seems a little low. The team vibes off of Keegan’s energy and he was clearly effected. Not an excuse, but a reality in team sports.

Not an excuse but here are six excuses

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
NW is in the Big 10, and they aren't hiring a guy who hasn't made the NCAA's in 7 years.

Butler is an elite job at that level and the same goes for them.
Two of the last three regular season titles in a Top 10 league and 16 years of data. He's not a flash in the pan guy and he's got a national reputation. He's not a difficult sell, especially at NW.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm guessing you're looking at overall FG % and he is talking about 2s only
Oops yes I misread the post. I still don’t think there’s much difference though when you consider their overall games.
And actually my biggest knock on him is how much he turns it over considering how little he has the ball in his hands. More so than his shooting.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
In hockey terms, Connor reminds me of the guy who is always trying to stir it up with the other team, but when one of them wants him to drop the gloves and fight, Connor just skates away.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
One of Fran's transfer just put Xavier up by 1 with 3 seconds left in NIT Title game. Jack Nunge.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
One of Fran's transfer just put Xavier up by 1 with 3 seconds left in NIT Title game. Jack Nunge.
Nunge, CJ Fredrick plus Garza and Weiskamp...what could have been for Iowa fans.

Iowa is lucky to have Fran- he's crazy lucky in recruiting:

Murray 1- local legacy walkon level recruit that turns into 1st team AA
Murray 2- local legacy walkon level recruit that turns into good BIG player
Garza- very average recruit that blows up, then turns into AA player.
Weiskamp- local kid and life-long hawk fan that ends up a very good recruit and BIG player
Fredrick- mediocre recruit that ends up a good P6 player
Nunge-mediocre recruit that ends up a good P6 player
JBo-instate, legacy, UNI fallback level recruit that ends up being a P6 contributor
White-mediocre recruit that ended up good BIG player
Gessel- "instate" kid that was a decent recruit,
Woodbury- life-long tavernhawk that despite short arms was decent recruit
Uthoff- very good transfer recruit that was instate kid that followed GF to IC and playing with friends.
Basabe-low level recruit that ended up competent BIG level player
Jok- local kid that couldn't go to ISU and slid in recruiting due to injury
Moss- average recruit that ended up good enough to transfer to KU
Patrick- maybe his kid and ends up a decent BIG player

Then a whole squad of instate kids that had little to no other options like Baer and Connor

He even inherited a couple talented legacies too, in Marble and Gatens

Tyler Cook is about the only normal recruit-to-success guy I recall that's played a major role for them.

This is a golden era of Iowa basketball. The Lute/Fieldhouse era is long gone, coaches aren't walking into a good situation like Davis did. Fran is a ******* magician all things considered, and Iowa more likely to revert closer to Lick days once he's gone.

Last edited:

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I remember a few posts on here about people that sat next or near him at games and they mentioned how poorly he conducted himself. HR had some posts about him to that saw him at his youngest daughter's games in IC and how he acted also. Fran came down from the stands during one of Pmac's games and started ripping on him from a video someone posted.

Parent's just need to be a parent and not a screaming ahole at games At all levels from youth to college. Dealt with a few of these off-the-wall types during my coaching days in youth baseball, basketball and football.
As someone who officiated basketball for a bit, every team has at least one of these parents and it's a big part of the reason I don't do it anymore. People have tried to fight me/won't stop chirping as I'm on my way to the car after a 2nd/3rd grade game. It's gross.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

StagecoachMike

Mar 24, 2021
As someone who officiated basketball for a bit, every team has at least one of these parents and it's a big part of the reason I don't do it anymore. People have tried to fight me/won't stop chirping as I'm on my way to the car after a 2nd/3rd grade game. It's gross.

And they're the ones complaining about officiating being bad. Not realizing their verbal abuse is the very reason why the "good" officials don't do it. They don't want to subject themselves to that abuse. Maybe if they'd quit the never-ending complaining, we might see an influx of "good" officials.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe there's bad officials as some parents and fans in the stands might think. By an overwhelming percentage, every official gets it right. How something is interpreted by an official and by a fan in the stands can be 2 separate things. And yes, an official is bound to miss something now and then. But to sit and think an official is incompetent, is flat out wrong.

As I've told a few fans in the stands over when I've heard them complain about the officiating, to go apply to be one, so they can expertly show all the other officials how it's done.