Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Jevohn Miller turned himself into a serviceable linebacker for one year, I believe as a redshirt senior. Problem is, that defense was BAAAAD and as improved as he was, he was far from a game changer and was never going to be. And when you invest 5 years into a kid like that to essentially get a one year return, you need like 30 of those guys to peak at any one time in order to field a winning ball club.

On one hand, I can see why he was loyal to CPR. He reached his potential under him and it paid off for him personally, to the extent of which he was naturally capable. He was probably proud of the growth he achieved, as he should be.

On the other hand, come on man. A little self-awareness and humility should and usually does accompany such individuals at ISU. Campbell upgraded the talent immediately across the board, even in his first year, and that was fairly easy to see.

I think we have two very different definitions of serviceable.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That is the kid that said Matt Campbell basically sucked after his first game correct?
image-png.109751

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
He and his family own something like 60%+ of IP of seed germplasm used by the Big 3 Ag seed companies.
The guy drives just a regular F150. You walk into the building and you are taken back to the 70’s. Guy is one heck of a ping pong player. They have a table in their conference room. I remember going through a lot of germ plasm and having to discard a lot of seed because of the parentage for the company I used to work for. He made a ton of money on royalties!!

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Busting Brackets rated the B1G '23 basketball offseason. EIU with a lackluster C- but from it could be worse fans it is better than Minnesota's F.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Reading about iowa recruiting is kind of like listening to that guy who works for his Dad talk about his work-life challenges and triumphs.

"We're all so impressed, please tell us, just how on earth did you manage to land such an esteemed postion?"
Our neighbors family owns a large equipment business. Her son quit college after a semester or year and then she talked about him being hired by the family business. Said he had to interview for it. Dude would not get hired at nearly any other job but yeah, his uncle probably figured we can employ him and get some work or not employ him and still end up paying his bills.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
He and his family own something like 60%+ of IP of seed germplasm used by the Big 3 Ag seed companies.
Wiki: "Stine Seed Company is the world's largest private seed company, and the largest independent seed company in the US. It has more than 900 patents, specializing in soybean and corn genetics, is based in the small town of Adel, Iowa, and is almost entirely owned by Harry Stine and his four children."

This is wild,....humanity does have a chance,...
"As a registered Republican, he did not support Donald Trump during 2020 elections but favored Elizabeth Warren in the 2020 Iowa Democratic caucuses.[16]"

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Wiki: "Stine Seed Company is the world's largest private seed company, and the largest independent seed company in the US. It has more than 900 patents, specializing in soybean and corn genetics, is based in the small town of Adel, Iowa, and is almost entirely owned by Harry Stine and his four children."

"As a registered Republican, he did not support Donald Trump during 2020 elections but favored Elizabeth Warren in the 2020 Iowa Democratic caucuses.[16]"
Quick google search shows he's worth $7.4 billion. You could live decently in Adel with that kind of money.

Ctrans

Feb 3, 2017
The richest person in Iowa. Harry Stine. Made his money in Seeds. I believe he lives in the Adel area.
Harry Stine is probably the 2nd wealthiest person in Iowa. Bob Van Deist maybe the wealthiest person in Iowa.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Busting Brackets rated the B1G '23 basketball offseason. EIU with a lackluster C- but from it could be worse fans it is better than Minnesota's F.

Fred did well in the portal by Nebraska standards. The Charlotte wing and Rienk Mast are some really nice additions next to the Keisei Tominaga hype train.

If they could of got Hunter Sallis instead of Ulis, I think you could of realistically given them an A.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA

My wife new one of his daughters who lived across from Beaver Run Golf Course. She had a lot of money but wasn’t obnoxious. Although her twin daughters received some very fine vehicles for their birthday.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Oh no! they’re giving EIU fans renewed hope in the portal.

My list:
1. FSU (I wish I could end it here)
2. Alabama
3. Iowa (only because we play them once & they are non-con & even with his addition, they still are heavily lacking at PG)
4. BU - I like Drew, but we face them 2 (maybe 3 times) a year. And it's BU - a completely degenerate institution that should have been kicked out of the Big 12 at the end of the Briles era.