FOUR CYCLONES EARN AUTOMATIC BIDS TO NCAA WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Iowa did not lose anywhere near as much as we did. The situations don't even remotely compare. We lost not only one of our best graduating classes ever, but also the recruits who were supposed to replace them, and Long.

As for Shafer, his draw is going to determine how he does. With a tough draw he'll go 0-2, but with a good draw there's no reason he can't go 1-2 or 2-2. He won't be a threat to AA or anything, but he might score us some points.

I don't know how closely it compares, but Iowa lost 8 starters off last year's team. That's even more than we lost. They didn't lose the backups but they also didn't have anything that resembles our dropoff.

As for Shafer, he's going to get a terrible draw. He will be unseeded and face someone tough right off the bat. Sure, he can win a match...maybe.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Iowa's young new faces in their lineup this year have looked way more ready to step in after redshirting than our guys and have improved more during the season.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
As for Shafer, he's going to get a terrible draw. He will be unseeded and face someone tough right off the bat. Sure, he can win a match...maybe.

He'll be up against a seeded guy in his first match, but who the draw puts him up against in the first round of consolations will be the determining factor for whether he is able to steal a win.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Jud, you may have the cardinalist and goldest of the cardinal and gold glassing wearers out there. I like it. Keep up the good work.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don't know how closely it compares, but Iowa lost 8 starters off last year's team. That's even more than we lost. They didn't lose the backups but they also didn't have anything that resembles our dropoff.

Iowa has depth. We have none. We can't afford any injuries. Heck, our starters at 125 and 133 are depth guys. You can even say that about 184 and 149. KJ is getting some studs (Finch, Gadsen, Moreno, Pena, Tanner Weatherman, Cozart), but is also building depth (Riley, Sorenson, Schlosser, Jones, Voelker, England). We need this so when these guys become Juniors and Seniors some are going to develop into AA's. And if injuries occur, we will have a competitive guy to step in.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Iowa has depth. We have none. We can't afford any injuries. Heck, our starters at 125 and 133 are depth guys. You can even say that about 184 and 149. KJ is getting some studs (Finch, Gadsen, Moreno, Pena, Tanner Weatherman, Cozart), but is also building depth (Riley, Sorenson, Schlosser, Jones, Voelker, England). We need this so when these guys become Juniors and Seniors some are going to develop into AA's. And if injuries occur, we will have a competitive guy to step in.
I think Schlosser could be a stud, but with him not wrestling half of his senior year it will be interesting to see if he can stay clean and on the team his 4 years here.

I think we will have a great chance to do some good things next year. We have got to get good production out of the RSFr. This years RSFr preseason phenom was Weatherman, and to say he undeachieved is a tremendous understatement. I am not confident we have the right guy working with our lower weights. Bono needs to come back(its like the 10th time I have said this).