Formula One starts this weekend, am I the only fan?

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Yeah, I think Lance has done well this year and he's probably proved that he's just as much belonging a spot on the grid compared to the rest. But yeah, I've previously always felt like he was more of a pay driver in a lucky spot.

I think Grosjean has to go. I don't think Magnussen is worth keeping either but when his car has survived he's at least managed decent showings. Mechanical failures are killing that team right now but frankly, even without those, it's not a great car. The lack of Ferrari power this year didn't help.

I guess I just think Haas might need more than 2 new drivers.. but a Perez Hulkenberg line-up would be a good start and a step in the right direction.

Yeah the Ferrari "lack of" power have not helped them but they are a mess without that. It's crazy too because just a few years ago they seemed like they could be an up and coming team. Granted it didn't help when grosjean crashed every race haha.

• Funny
Reactions: JHUNSY

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I totally forgot about this thread. Mugello this weekend could be great or terrible I’m not sure which but it sounds like they are expecting 5g loads around some of the corners here.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I totally forgot about this thread. Mugello this weekend could be great or terrible I’m not sure which but it sounds like they are expecting 5g loads around some of the corners here.
I think I heard it's going to be sort of similar to Barcelona, not many chances for overtakes. Looks like it'll be pretty hot though, and if the track temp gets up there, maybe we'll see more tire drama or cooling issues for Mercedes.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
The only thing hot with Haas right now is the NASCAR side. Stewart-Haas with Harvick has been doing great since then started racing again. Harvick has had like 7 wins now and just punched his ticket to the next playoff round last weekend.

I had the opportunity the first week of March, right before the covid pandemic started, to visit some race shops in the Charlotte area during a day off from work. Got to see RCR, Hendrick, Petty, Stewart-Haas. Even stopped at the RCR museum to see all the Earnhardt Cars and the history of RCR.

Most of these places are not along the interstate but tucked away off the beaten path. Hendrick is only a mile or so from Charlotte Motor Speedway though. Drove up to the Stewart-Haas and Haas F1 facilities and the F1 facilities were off limits. Still pretty cool to see these places though!!

Last edited:

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Happy Seb will still be around, feel like this year with Ferrari would not have been a fitting send off for him and you can tell he's hungry for more.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJeans

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Happy Seb will still be around, feel like this year with Ferrari would not have been a fitting send off for him and you can tell he's hungry for more.

It's funny that Ferrari treated him like crap at the end of this, and he is now going to fall into a better car for next year. Ferrari is too far behind on engine tech right now. Whatever they were doing that the FIA won't tell us about, must have been worth 20-50 hp at least.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
It's funny that Ferrari treated him like crap at the end of this, and he is now going to fall into a better car for next year. Ferrari is too far behind on engine tech right now. Whatever they were doing that the FIA won't tell us about, must have been worth 20-50 hp at least.
It really makes you wonder.. I saw Binotto confirmed their token change next year will be the engine- which is only going to be a one year change which shows you how desperate they are.

Honestly almost feel bad for Sainz, here he's thinking he's joining a top-3 team with the most history and perhaps prestige among the paddock only to watch the car consistently underperform and see their team slowly fall down in the constructors'. The look on his face when he was watching after his retirement at Spa says it all.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
It really makes you wonder.. I saw Binotto confirmed their token change next year will be the engine- which is only going to be a one year change which shows you how desperate they are.

Honestly almost feel bad for Sainz, here he's thinking he's joining a top-3 team with the most history and perhaps prestige among the paddock only to watch the car consistently underperform and see their team slowly fall down in the constructors'. The look on his face when he was watching after his retirement at Spa says it all.

He is praying they get the 2022 regs right. Which I believe is a big engine change.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I enjoy the chaotic races like this one but it's usually because it means we get a different finish than the usual Hamilton, Bottas, Verstappen 1-2-3 combination. At least Albon finally got his first podium today. I was hoping Ricciardo was going to hold onto second after that restart and the merc was going to struggle in the pack again.

Reactions: mramseyISU

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Finally finished the race this evening. Crazy seems about right. Was also hoping for more drama to knock a Mercedes out of the top 3.

Really wanted Danny to still end up with a podium but that was actually a pretty exciting race all the way around.

How deflating if you're a Ferrari fan to watch Charles slowly fall from a podium to last (with a pit) during that stretch. Really symbolic of just how their season has gone. I don't think it's out of the realm for them to finish outside of the top five in the constructors' at this point- McLaren and Racing Point have done quite well and Renault has really shown up the last few weeks.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
Finally finished the race this evening. Crazy seems about right. Was also hoping for more drama to knock a Mercedes out of the top 3.

Really wanted Danny to still end up with a podium but that was actually a pretty exciting race all the way around.

How deflating if you're a Ferrari fan to watch Charles slowly fall from a podium to last (with a pit) during that stretch. Really symbolic of just how their season has gone. I don't think it's out of the realm for them to finish outside of the top five in the constructors' at this point- McLaren and Racing Point have done quite well and Renault has really shown up the last few weeks.

I felt the same, the merc 1-2 was the only disappointing part of that race. I wanted an albon and Danny ric podium.

I'm excited for next year to see Danny Ric in the McClaren. Favorite driver on my favorite team. Poor Sainz though, still a big deal to drive for Ferrari but in the short term he is leaving a better car.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I felt the same, the merc 1-2 was the only disappointing part of that race. I wanted an albon and Danny ric podium.

I'm excited for next year to see Danny Ric in the McClaren. Favorite driver on my favorite team. Poor Sainz though, still a big deal to drive for Ferrari but in the short term he is leaving a better car.
I’m really hoping that the combination of Danny Ric and the return to Mercedes power means some podiums for McLaren next year.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Still holding out for Williams to get a point this season!
Between the Austrian Grand Prix, and now the Tuscan Grand Prix, I wonder if their best chances are behind them.

(Barring another crazy race).

That was another one of those background things I was hoping would happen in Mugello as well, George came so close.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I’m really hoping that the combination of Danny Ric and the return to Mercedes power means some podiums for McLaren next year.

I agree, I like Sainz and Lando but neither of them has raced for a top team. Danny Ric brings the team some credibility. I am not a Renault fan but I have to believe he would have had at least 2-3 podiums by now in a better seat.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I agree, I like Sainz and Lando but neither of them has raced for a top team. Danny Ric brings the team some credibility. I am not a Renault fan but I have to believe he would have had at least 2-3 podiums by now in a better seat.
Personally I'm hoping that since Riccardo is driving for an American boss now he'll go all in on the Ernhardt thing since he already drives the 3. I'm talking full on lip weasel and open faced helmet with the goggles.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron