Formula One starts this weekend, am I the only fan?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Didn't realize the Azerbaijan GP was today (don't follow F1 to much) but still kind of cool seeing places I've drunkenly walked around during the race broadcast.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
It's probably already been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but there's an F1 series on Netflix that I really enjoyed and I knew absolutely nothing about the sport going into it.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Embassy duty when I was in the marines. Was/Wasn't a good time... lol
Ok that makes sense then. I've drove past Hockenhiem a couple of times when I worked in cab engineering for Deere because that's on the road between the tractor factory and cab factory in Germany and I almost went to check out Monza last time I was in Italy. Apparently you can rent a bike at Monza and ride around the track. I was planning on doing that last time but the weather that day was terrible.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Ok that makes sense then. I've drove past Hockenhiem a couple of times when I worked in cab engineering for Deere because that's on the road between the tractor factory and cab factory in Germany and I almost went to check out Monza last time I was in Italy. Apparently you can rent a bike at Monza and ride around the track. I was planning on doing that last time but the weather that day was terrible.
Yeah the GP in Baku was announced the year after I left. Used to have our drivers drop off/pick us up at the maiden tower base all the time. A lot of the streets they use for it used to be just brick.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
That was wild yesterday morning.

It’s amazing the difference going from Monaco to Azerbaijan.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's probably already been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but there's an F1 series on Netflix that I really enjoyed and I knew absolutely nothing about the sport going into it.

I lived with a mechanical engineer my freshman year at ISU and he was SUPER into F1. I probably hadn't paid attention to it at all for close to 20 years until the Netflix show. Might be my favorite show bar none.

Reactions: VikesFan22

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
That was wild yesterday morning.

It’s amazing the difference going from Monaco to Azerbaijan.
Baku has turned into what Monaco used to be 20-30 years ago when the cars were smaller. Monaco for all it's history is the worst race on the calendar right now.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I lived with a mechanical engineer my freshman year at ISU and he was SUPER into F1. I probably hadn't paid attention to it at all for close to 20 years until the Netflix show. Might be my favorite show bar none.
Yep, I followed F1 a little bit years back but then during the pandemic watched the Netflix show and it got me back into it. Didn't realize how much everybody pretty much hates everyone else in that sport. Makes for good drama.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Hockenheim notoriously killing probably the best driver of all time Jim Clark back in the 60s. Have a tough time watching Formula One lately simply because of how dominant Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes have become. Currently in second but I dont know if Verstappen and RB can stay ahead.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
This has actually turned into quite the race. Both McLarens doing well to move past Ferrari.

Wonder if this turns into a single stop race for Checo to make things interesting.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

I wonder how much of that is Netflix related?

F1 could be really popular here (I think), they just need to try and make the racing a little more interesting/competitive. So many times you just end up with constant parades. The British TV announcers also help a lot with excitement. They could make grass growing sound exciting.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy83ag