NFL: Former Nebraska and NFL RB Lawrence Phillips found dead

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I wrote this on another forum, but is it a sad end? Seems more like a fitting end to me.

"troubled life" goes a bit too far in the PC direction IMO. The guy was a piece of ****.[/QUOTE

It may be fitting, but it's sad when someone pisses away the opportunities he had. And yeah, he did a lot of terrible, reprehensible things and he deserved to be in prison. But calling someone a piece of **** after they're gone goes a bit too far in the other direction, IMO. It's all a matter of opinion.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
I wrote this on another forum, but is it a sad end? Seems more like a fitting end to me.

"troubled life" goes a bit too far in the PC direction IMO. The guy was a piece of ****.[/QUOTE

It may be fitting, but it's sad when someone pisses away the opportunities he had. And yeah, he did a lot of terrible, reprehensible things and he deserved to be in prison. But calling someone a piece of **** after they're gone goes a bit too far in the other direction, IMO. It's all a matter of opinion.

you are what you are, he made is bed ,along with Tommy

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
There's a mis-attributed quote to Mark Twain . . . "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

Meh, if I'm going to weep for anyone, it'll be for the millions of gifted kids out there coming from far worse places than this scumbag who will never get the opportunities he had because they're not good at holding on to a leather ball while they run.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

True, it is a matter of opinion as illustrated thusly;

Opinion - Tom Osborne should be admonished for endangering the community of Lincoln, Nebraska by recruiting Lawrence Phillips.

Fact - Lawrence Phillips was a piece of ****.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I ******* HATE Lawrence Phillips. As a Cyclone Fan, as someone who respects women, and as a 49ers fan he was the absolute worst human being possible.

1.) He was a murderer & woman beater
2.) As a 49er, He completely whiffed a textbook block on a corner blitz by Aeneas Williams of the Cardinals. This gave Steve Young a significant concussion which ultimately caused him to retire.
3.) Phillips had a long history of violence being swept under the rug by God Osborne
4.) He played for Nebraska, **** the huskers.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that the world is probably a little bit of a better place now that he's gone.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I ******* HATE Lawrence Phillips. As a Cyclone Fan, as someone who respects women, and as a 49ers fan he was the absolute worst human being possible.

1.) He was a murderer & woman beater
2.) As a 49er, He completely whiffed a textbook block on a corner blitz by Aeneas Williams of the Cardinals. This gave Steve Young a significant concussion which ultimately caused him to retire.
3.) Phillips had a long history of violence being swept under the rug by God Osborne
4.) He played for Nebraska, **** the huskers.

I guess, what I'm trying to say is that the world is probably a little bit of a better place now that he's gone.

You really threw a missed block into that list?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Agreed. That's a head-scratcher.

I just heard Terry Boers on 670-AM radio say "Jay, you're taking all of the joy out of 'Lawrence Phillips is Dead Day.'" I personally will weep zero tears for that woman-beating *******.

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
True, it is a matter of opinion as illustrated thusly;

Opinion - Tom Osborne should be admonished for endangering the community of Lincoln, Nebraska by recruiting Lawrence Phillips.

Fact - Lawrence Phillips was a piece of ****.
During his tenure, Lawrence Phillips was just one of many criminals in their program. Just my opinion. I will admit that the pressure to win in Lincoln is incredible but their program really lowered its' standards.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA

Yep, I had many a Steve Young and Jerry Rice posters on my walls. They are a few of my favorite players of all time. I've never hated a human being more than I did on that play. :)