Former Men's BB coach Ken Trickey passes away at 79

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by majorcyfan, Dec 4, 2012.

1. majorcyfan

majorcyfan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Male
    Retired Sales Mgr
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    #1 majorcyfan, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    Former head MEN'S bb Coach Ken Trickey passes away Former ORU coach Ken Trickey dies | Tulsa World

iT MENTIONS IN THE TULSA ARTICLE THAT HE IMMEDIATELY DECIDED THAT HE DIDN'T FIT IN AT ISU. Anyone remember why he didn't, as I vaguely remember him at ISU. Looked it up and saw he was 13-40 as a coach, but wonder what he meant as not fitting in at ISU cause he played a run and gun offense, much like Johnny Orr. The great Maury John preceded Ken Trickey, followed by the forgetable FBI agent Lynn Nance, then Johnny Orr.

2. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Male
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Ratings:
    +401 / 4 / -0
    Trickey just never really got the players that he needed to run his kind of offense. He was strictly a run and gun guy....think Loyola Marymount...and he was not here long enough to get the players to run that kind of a system.

I'm not sure why he said he did not fit in at ISU from the start. ISU had just had the mild-mannered Maury John as coach, and Trickey was far from mild-mannered. I'm guessing it probably was not very comfortable for him here.

I was the Office Manager in Hilton when Trickey was coach. At that time, the head coach's office was on the concourse level of Hilton, above the ramp. I was probably in his office at least once a day, especially during the season. One thing that sticks in my mind about him was I never saw him with his shoes on in the office. He was always in his stocking feet......and as far as I know he was that way no matter who came in to visit. He always seemed like a good guy to me......he just could not make it work here.

His second year.......ISU started 0-13 in non-conference....and then strangely enough won it's first conference game. Problem was, ISU only won 2 more games that year. Hilton was not very full back then.

3. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +296 / 9 / -0

I think that was my freshman year; 1975. Didn't Trickey recruit Hercle Ivy? or was that M John?

Unfortunately for Maury John, who died expectantly of a heart attack, ISU had to hire a replacement quickly.

Can you folks imagine Hilton with < 4,000 fans; in those days it really was morgue and never filled any seats above the lower parquet.

4. Dryburn

Dryburn Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Male
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Ratings:
    +401 / 4 / -0
    John brought in Ivy, but he was about the only player that Trickey had who fit his "system". Ivy was a junior already by the time Trickey arrived.

5. Go2Guy

Go2Guy Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Chemical Engineer
    Houston, TX
    Ratings:
    +296 / 9 / -0
    Yeah Ivy definitely seems more like a Trickey fit vs Maury "Belly Button Defense" John.

6. Statsman515

Statsman515 Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Driver Trainer
    L A (Lovely Ames)
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    My memory tells me that Coach John died of cancer. Reguardless of the cause, we lost him way too soon.