Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I won't forget it. I got a random text message from Jim a few years ago. My kids all qualified for the State Games of America by winning the Iowa Games. The State Games of America came around and my kids were fortunate enough to all 3 win their age division in their event. My wife took a pic and posted it on facebook. About 2 hours later, on our drive home, I got a text message from Jim Hallihan congratulating them for representing Iowa at the State Games of America.

He most certainly did not need to do that. He didnt know us and took who knows how long to dive into the archives of registrations to get my cellphone and reach out to us. I then proceeded to explain who he was to my kids for the remainder of the ride home.

All those years of watching him next to Orr on TV and it was a simple text message that I will remember of him.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I never met him, but I have friends that knew him well and have spoken so highly of him through the years.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
That was my general impression. Johnny was the spirit of the team. Jim was nuts and bolts.
Yeah, if you ever watched. During timeouts, etc. Hallihan would be talking to the team while Johnny was over chewing on the refs. I think Jim did most of the play schemes and Johnny meshed with the players to get them to listen and run the plays. It seemed to work passably well.

ankenycyclone

Jul 23, 2008
Iowa
JIm will be missed...he truly had a big heart. I got to know Jim through Ankeny Parks and Rec, he was on the parks board after he and his wife moved to Ankeny, and with Ankeny Miracle League. Jim served on the committee to help build the MIracle League Field (baseball for kids and adults with special needs). Once the field was complete, Jim helped out by announcing games, cheering the players on, embellishing their stats (really just making them up.:)) and making sure they had a good time as they played. He always took time to chat with you and see how your day was going; I will miss my friend...see you on the court Coach..

Condolences with his wife Trish and their family.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
When I first started at ISU I worked at the convenience store (Casey's then) way down south on Duff. Jim lived in that neighborhood and he was in a lot. He was always a really nice guy to the guys working there. We would ask about the team and he always spent a moment talking with us.
That says it all right there.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Way too young at 75;.
He was a great guy and a good intercessory personality when Johnny got a little too hot on the bench.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Oh man that sucks. I lived down the street from him from about 1993 to 1999 (7th grade through high school). Finding out he live down the street was like living next to a celebrity to me at that time. I'd been going to basketball games with my parents since grade school in the mid 80s.

Played a lot of driveway basketball (and other shenanigans) with his son Danny and the rest of the neighborhood kids. The whole family is just an awesome group of people. I didn't talk to Jim a lot, but he was always so friendly and down to earth. Always brought homemade banana ice cream to our annual end-of-summer block party.

Reactions: t-noah and NWICY

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
He always used to speak to our elementary school. Always had a great message....told the story of the kid who took his books home from school one day because he was going to commit suicide and didn't want his Mom to have to come get his things at school. Dropped them all over outside accidentally and someone else offered to help him pick them up. That one act of kindness saved his life. Interesting what sticks with you 25 years later.

Reactions: t-noah and NWICY

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
That was my general impression. Johnny was the spirit of the team. Jim was nuts and bolts.

Always disappointed that he didn't get a chance to take over for Johnny, but I'm sure that there were reasons. Also surprised that he didn't go to someone else as an assistant or a mid-major as a head coach.
Maybe he hated recruiting.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Help Support Us

Become a patron