Former ISU golfer qualifies for PGA Tour

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Former ISU golfer Chris Baker qualified for the PGA Tour by finishing in the top 25 of the Korn Ferry tour (yes, super odd name - formerly known as Web.com tour, Nationwide tour, Nike tour and others). I do not know if he is fully exempt or has conditional status, but he will be a 2020 PGA Tour cardholder. Until now, he has played one PGA Tour event in 12 years.

He didn't make it easy on himself - having a nice cushion, he doubled the 17th hole and arrived at the 18th tee needing a par to get his card. He put his drive in a bunker off the tee on 18. He followed that with a good bunker shot, but left his long putt for birdie well short.

The entire season of play came down to a 6-8 foot par putt to qualify. He has to make it or it's back to the development tour next year. He snuck it in the side door and I'm sure his heart was leaping as it rolled around the corner and dropped. I was nervous as hell watching him and can only imagine what he was feeling.

Congrats to a Cyclone on making the big tour!

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
He also had just gone through heartbreak a few weeks ago when he missed the cut in the final event before the playoffs. He was in 24th position and got bumped to 26th. Top 25 get their card. So he overcame the fact that just a few weeks prior he barely missed his card as well.

The Korn Ferry playoffs is such great entertainment compared to the Fed Ex Cup. These guys are grinding for a job and a chance at the big leagues. It's appointment television if you're a golf fan.

Congrats to Baker. It was awesome to watch!

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Chris finished 2020 as the 428th ranked golfer in the world yet made $270,000 in 2020. I wish I was a good golfer.