Former Cyclones

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I heard kelse bolte is coaching at drake. Is that common knowledge. Also poppins and prins can make more money not playing in the wnba.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I heard kelse bolte is coaching at drake. Is that common knowledge. Also poppins and prins can make more money not playing in the wnba.

Bolte is now going to coach ankeny wbb.

I don't think Prins heart was in playing basketball, but Pop is totally a player made for WNBA. This next comment is not mention to disparage her, but it's just strange that Brittany Wilkins makes a wnba roster back in the day but Pop doesn't.

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
Bolte is now going to coach ankeny wbb.

I don't think Prins heart was in playing basketball, but Pop is totally a player made for WNBA. This next comment is not mention to disparage her, but it's just strange that Brittany Wilkins makes a wnba roster back in the day but Pop doesn't.

The difference is Wilkins has an outside jump shot and although Poppens has improved her shot over the last few years she still needs that to make a team long term. Both great Cyclones and great people though!

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
When Wilkins played, there were 14 teams x 13 spots per team = 182 open roster spots. Now there are 12 teams x 11 spots per team = 132. That's the difference.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
When Wilkins played, there were 14 teams x 13 spots per team = 182 open roster spots. Now there are 12 teams x 11 spots per team = 132. That's the difference.

I knew some teams changed cities but didn't know amount of teams went down. Still you can't tell me there are 132 better players than pop.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Until the WNBA figures out that American fans would rather watch their successful college All-American women play instead of Evanita Slowtallavitch from somewhere in Eastern Europe, they are never going to get a fan following. And therefore never make any money.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Until the WNBA figures out that American fans would rather watch their successful college All-American women play instead of Evanita Slowtallavitch from somewhere in Eastern Europe, and washed up american players), they are never going to get a fan following. And therefore never make any money.

fify

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Until the WNBA figures out that American fans would rather watch their successful college All-American women play instead of Evanita Slowtallavitch from somewhere in Eastern Europe, they are never going to get a fan following. And therefore never make any money.

Plus put more teams in places that actually care about women's basketball.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I just watched the Sparks play last night and demolish Seattle. What an exciting fun game and team to watch. They start Ogumike, Parker, Beard, Harding and Toliver and have players like Coleman and Lavender off the bench. Hardly Euro nobodies or washed up Americans. WNBA has some great teams and great players. Complain all you want about Pop not making a roster, but she doesn't have the size to be a post only player and needs an outside shot to be in the WNBA. Pop is great and I will always respect her accomplishments but she had too many fouls and TOs in her time at Seattle, a trait that limited her at ISU as well.
European players are better at the next level is they can shoot the ball, where the NCAA is more about physicality, not skill.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
All I know is WNBA is mostly filled with former Stanford, Duke, Tennessee, Uconn, players. Couldn't stand them watching them in college so I def. don't care to watch them as professionals. They should just have this as motto, if you didn't go to " a top tier school" forget about playing here.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I just watched the Sparks play last night and demolish Seattle. What an exciting fun game and team to watch. They start Ogumike, Parker, Beard, Harding and Toliver and have players like Coleman and Lavender off the bench. Hardly Euro nobodies or washed up Americans. WNBA has some great teams and great players. Complain all you want about Pop not making a roster, but she doesn't have the size to be a post only player and needs an outside shot to be in the WNBA. Pop is great and I will always respect her accomplishments but she had too many fouls and TOs in her time at Seattle, a trait that limited her at ISU as well.
Agree totally TWB - I love watching the WNBA!

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Washed up American players ? I bet you must not follow WNBA.I am disappointed that Pop didn't make the team, but WNBA is still good. I love watching the WNBA. Twistedbird summed it up nicely. We have to admit that there are reasons why these top tiers schools are called top tiers - and they can attract better talents. And a lot of former players from top tier schools don't make it to WNBA or are not very successful: take a look at Charde Houston (UConn), Nicky Anosike (Vols) to mention a few.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Washed up American players ? I bet you must not follow WNBA.I am disappointed that Pop didn't make the team, but WNBA is still good. I love watching the WNBA. Twistedbird summed it up nicely. We have to admit that there are reasons why these top tiers schools are called top tiers - and they can attract better talents. And a lot of former players from top tier schools don't make it to WNBA or are not very successful: take a look at Charde Houston (UConn), Nicky Anosike (Vols) to mention a few.

Your right I don't watch it because it's played not like women's college basketball.

I would respect Stern alot more if he just pulled the plug on this non revenue generating waste of space.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Wow 3 WNBA fans in one thread. That has to be a record. I watched 5 minutes of the WNBA one time and it was the worst thing I have ever seen.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Wow 3 WNBA fans in one thread. That has to be a record. I watched 5 minutes of the WNBA one time and it was the worst thing I have ever seen.

Well, the league is a lot different now than the first few years, especially since a stable of talented players has been built up, you might give it a try, also certain match-ups are better than others.

These are teams worth watching this year: LA Sparks, Connecticut, Tulsa(If Cambage does play), Minnesota, New York, Indiana. Also worth keeping an eye on Phoenix, Atlanta, Chicago or San Antonio.

I'd also be curious to see how many people who don't like the WNBA like the NBA. Most of my friends/family that are avid NBA fans, also watch the WNBA.

I have noticed most mid-western (college ball is better) people, don't like either.

Last edited:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009

I have no problem if people don't like WNBA. Same thing when some people tell me (or told me) they don't (didn't like) soccer. I only feel sorry if someone starts bashing something without understanding this. WNBA is not for everyone and like Twistedredbird said, the league is a lot different now. And it also depends on which team(s) you see: I once went to see Tulsa with Nolan Richardson as head coach - with Marion Jones (yes, that Marion Jones) and it they were awful.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I find it curious that being supposedly one of the strongest, if not the strongest conference from top to bottom, the Big 12, is the least represented of the 6 major conferences. SEC, Big East, and ACC all lead the way in number of players in the league, and it really isn't that close. Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12 are all well behind.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I find it curious that being supposedly one of the strongest, if not the strongest conference from top to bottom, the Big 12, is the least represented of the 6 major conferences. SEC, Big East, and ACC all lead the way in number of players in the league, and it really isn't that close. Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12 are all well behind.
It kinda tells me that the Big East, SEC, and ACC have the most elite players. Also, with the way the NCAA tourney played out, the Big East was without a doubt the strongest league.