Former Cyclones at other schools 2022-23 season

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I’ll never forget Lewis celebrating his dunk instead of getting back on defense and costing us the game. That was awesome.

That game was strange and oddly memorable for so many reasons.

-- ISU started Nixon, Jackson, Grill, Jacobson, and Young and only had Conditt and Lewis on the bench
-- Nixon balled the **** out in his last game with 25 on 11/21 shooting
-- awkward freshman Caleb Grill had eight rebounds and nine points in 39 minutes
-- Tre Jackson played all 40 minutes
-- somehow Iowa State has a chance to win at the end against a hot OSU team (6-2 the past eight games)
-- the whole end sequence with Lewis "winning" the game is great television
-- then... COVID hits... the world ends... and the next game, which would have been against Kansas the next day, is never played, making the whole thing a pointless exercise in the end

Here is the sequence at the end. It sucked at the time, but it is hilarious to watch now.

Never was so much effort given over so very little.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I’ll never forget Lewis celebrating his dunk instead of getting back on defense and costing us the game. That was awesome.

Prohm knew it right away. Just put his hands on his head as Ok State was inbounding the ball knowing they had a lay up on the other end.

Side note: Isaac Likele and Sean McNeil as Ohio State's starting backcourt this year seems so weird as two former longtime Big 12 guys

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Yeah, Harris' situation reminds me of the Miami guard we played last year in the Sweet 16, except he's actually gone back to the same school twice. Charlie Moore played for 3 schools over 6 years, Kansas, DePaul, and Miami. Harris, I imagine has been in college for 6 years, has played for 3 schools, but has actually transferred 3 times (!!!).

Terrence Lewis has transferred twice, playing for 3 schools (Iowa State, South Alabama where I don't believe he ever actually played, and now Grambling.)

Blake Hinson has transferred twice, playing for 3 schools (Ole Miss, Iowa State where he did not play, and now Pitt).

Javan Johnson has transferred twice, playing for 3 schools (Troy, Iowa State, now DePaul).

Bolton transferred twice, currently on school #3 (Penn State-Iowa State-Gonzaga)

Zion Griffin transferred twice, currently on school #3 (Iowa State-UIC-Tennessee State)

These guys are all simply anomaly's of the covid year + new transfer rules. I would imagine each of them would have transferred one fewer time without the covid year waiver each of them had to have received in order to transfer a 2nd time without sitting out.

Read it somewhere, a lot of transfer portal kids are not landing anywhere and as a result are just out of college because of it. I'm happy all these guys are making it, and maybe it is easier in bball since so many programs. But for every kid that moves up to a bigger stage, or down to a more appropriate stage (where they can play and still get an education) - there is probably another one that goes nowhere and just drops out of college.

Reactions: GoldCy

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

-- ISU started Nixon, Jackson, Grill, Jacobson, and Young and only had Conditt and Lewis on the bench
-- awkward freshman Caleb Grill had eight rebounds and nine points in 39 minutes
-- somehow Iowa State has a chance to win at the end against a hot OSU team (6-2 the past eight games)
-- then... COVID hits... the world ends... and the next game, which would have been against Kansas the next day, is never played, making the whole thing a pointless exercise in the end

Here is the sequence at the end. It sucked at the time, but it is hilarious to watch now.

Every time someone says Prentiss Nixon's name, an angel bricks a bad decision three pointer.

Also, I think we can look forward to awkward senior Caleb Grill having 8 rebounds and 9 points in 30+ minutes several more times this year :)

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Every time someone says Prentiss Nixon's name, an angel bricks a bad decision three pointer.

Also, I think we can look forward to awkward senior Caleb Grill having 8 rebounds and 9 points in 30+ minutes several more times this year :)

Chicks DIG the turnaround fadeaway from the logo with 12 seconds on the shot clock.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

This game honestly feels like it was played at least 5 years ago, even though it's only been like 2 1/2 seasons.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Yeah, Harris' situation reminds me of the Miami guard we played last year in the Sweet 16, except he's actually gone back to the same school twice. Charlie Moore played for 3 schools over 6 years, Kansas, DePaul, and Miami. Harris, I imagine has been in college for 6 years, has played for 3 schools, but has actually transferred 3 times (!!!).
even crazier - 4 schools!

2016-17 Cal
2017-18 RS KU
2018-19 KU
2019-20 DePaul
2020-21 DePaul
2021-22 Miami

has to be an ncaa record playing for 4 different high major schools.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

2016-17 Cal
2017-18 RS KU
2018-19 KU
2019-20 DePaul
2020-21 DePaul
2021-22 Miami

Ok yes, I knew I had to be missing one with him.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL

2016-17 Cal
2017-18 RS KU
2018-19 KU
2019-20 DePaul
2020-21 DePaul
2021-22 Miami

You could include Jalen Coleman-Lands in there too:
  • 2015-16: Illinois - 34 GP 10.3 ppg
  • 2016-17: Illinois - 35 GP 8.0 ppg
  • 2017-18: DePaul (RS)
  • 2018-19: DePaul (RS) - 9 GP 9.6 ppg
  • 2019-20: DePaul - 32 GP 11.1 ppg
  • 2020-21: Iowa State - 23 GP 14.3 ppg
  • 2021-22: Kansas - 39 GP 3.7 ppg

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

I for some reason remember this looking a lot worse at the time. Probably just feeling the passion of the moment I suppose. In reality, he actually did catch up to the play in time, but just kind of continued to watch Likekele take it to the hole rather than try and stop him.

Isaac Likekele is another name that seems like we've been hearing about for almost a decade in college hoops. Now at Ohio State using his covid year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I for some reason remember this looking a lot worse at the time. Probably just feeling the passion of the moment I suppose. In reality, he actually did catch up to the play in time, but just kind of continued to watch Likekele take it to the hole rather than try and stop him.

Isaac Likekele is another name that seems like we've been hearing about for almost a decade in college hoops. Now at Ohio State using his covid year.

He did flex/celebrate after the dunk and lost 2-3 steps getting back as a result.

We'll never know but...

-- Prohm used his last timeout before that go-ahead offensive possession. Maybe if he saves it he could call it after the made basket so the defense could be a little more organized?

-- Maybe if Lewis has his head on completely straight he gets back on defense immediately and can be there to pick up the ball, redirect the drive to make the shot harder, or to block it.

-- That being said, Grill did pick him up. Grill just wasn't able to stay in front of him and/or block the shot and nobody helped him even as Likekele had a full head of steam. Maybe that was Lewis' fault.

-- All this being said, Lewis reasonably thought he had just won the game for a team that was desperately trying to just win one more before the season ended after playing the past few weeks without its best player by a mile in Haliburton and the past few games without its second-best player in Bolton.

-- That is, he's human. Expecting superhuman concentration at that point is a lot. Then again, the second the ball goes in, Grill is sprinting back the other direction. So maybe you should expect it.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Blake Hinson would have been nice to keep around as a scorer this year, damn. Foster wasn't ever going to work with what TJ expects on D but curious to see how he pans out.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Jordan Ashton had an interesting path (if you remember that deep cut) --

Went to high school in Mt. Pleasant
Freshman at Northwest Missouri State (Division II)
Sophomore at Kirkwood Community College
Junior PWO at Iowa State, actually saw some playing time on a thin roster (5.36 MPG)
Senior at UNI (started most games, 33.1 MPG, scored 8.4 PPG on 43.6% 3PT shooting)

Funny he was so good at UNI yet such a nonfactor in Ames.

Reactions: Messi

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Blake sat out all of 2020-21 and 2021-22
This, and I think Tre may have started fall practice with Georgetown, then was dismissed due to some sort of academic violation (plagiarism, I believe). The latter is probably a bigger reason why his waiver wasn't granted when Iowa State applied for it.