For those that are against the Pollard extension...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I never heard anything about "Morgan losing control of the players" while he was winning post season games and knocking off top 5 teams in his first 2 years. He's coming off a 2nd round NCAA performance and the a.d is breathing down his neck and meddling in the program his 3rd year? Not surprising things might get a little crazy with coaches and players feeling undue pressure as it became obvious JP was trying to get rid of the coach.

LeBron

Nov 12, 2008
I never heard anything about "Morgan losing control of the players" while he was winning post season games and knocking off top 5 teams in his first 2 years. He's coming off a 2nd round NCAA performance and the a.d is breathing down his neck and meddling in the program his 3rd year? Not surprising things might get a little crazy with coaches and players feeling undue pressure as it became obvious JP was trying to get rid of the coach.
:yes:The year Morgan's team had before he got fired was better than any of the McD seasons.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Will people please stop with the "there were things going on behind the scenes with Morgan that nobody knows about". That's just rumor and slander to try to justify somebody's opinion, and I'm not buying any of it.

Hahahahaha...this made me chuckle. You showed your lack of knowledge on the situation. There are very few people outside the basketball offices who know completely what was going on.

Also, with Iowa State in the past decade, how often has there been smoke without the fire? Not very damn often.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
IcSyU-It's been 3 years since Morgan was canned and if there are some big bad secrets that only those in the basketball office know about, they would have made the rounds long ago. Do you really think JP and Morgan's detractors wouldn't have leaked anything bad by now to try to justify Morgan getting canned, especially considering he did very well compared to the new hire (GMac). The only thing we keep hearing is the scheduling flap, which was a non-issue. The rest is just opinion that he lost control of the players, the players were out of control and thugs, and he had an undisciplined style. Laugh all you want, it's still just opinion, slander, and garbage.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The rest is just opinion that he lost control of the players, the players were out of control and thugs, and he had an undisciplined style. Laugh all you want, it's still just opinion, slander, and garbage.

When the team bus has to wait an extra half-hour just for the coach to wake up, some may call that undisciplined.

When players come onto the practice court toting fast food bags (still eating) and cell phones (still talking), some may call that undisciplined.

When the coach doesn't even make it to a home game until 20 minutes before tipoff, some may call that undisciplined.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
When the team bus has to wait an extra half-hour just for the coach to wake up, some may call that undisciplined.

When players come onto the practice court toting fast food bags (still eating) and cell phones (still talking), some may call that undisciplined.

When the coach doesn't even make it to a home game until 20 minutes before tipoff, some may call that undisciplined.

When players skip getting back on defense to protest a missed foul to the ref, some may call that undisciplined. If WM was such a great coach that got screwed by ISU, how come he's selling satellite dishes right now.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
IcSyU-It's been 3 years since Morgan was canned and if there are some big bad secrets that only those in the basketball office know about, they would have made the rounds long ago. Do you really think JP and Morgan's detractors wouldn't have leaked anything bad by now to try to justify Morgan getting canned, especially considering he did very well compared to the new hire (GMac). The only thing we keep hearing is the scheduling flap, which was a non-issue. The rest is just opinion that he lost control of the players, the players were out of control and thugs, and he had an undisciplined style. Laugh all you want, it's still just opinion, slander, and garbage.

He had lost control of the players. Do you know how many of those players showed up to class? Do you know how many of those players showed up to shoot arounds and practices? Do you know how many of those players were here because there was no discipline? Did you by chance catch our graduation rate during that period of time? Do you by chance know why we lost scholarships? In theory, we could still be losing those scholarships because our APR is below the acceptable level. I think every player that's left during G-Mac's tenure has left in good academic standing and we're still below the acceptable level.

This doesn't even account for the fact that the guy simply can't coach to save his life. Can he recruit? Damn right he can. Can he coach? Not out of a wet paper bag. How the hell do you have Stinson and Blalock, arguably a couple of the best guards at Iowa State of the past decade, and only get to the NIT? If they were a couple of the best guards we've had here recently, then his recruiting sucked pretty bad. There is a reason the guy hasn't had an offer to go and coach somewhere else, and it's not because he doesn't want to move his family. Hm, go make 6 digits coaching basketball somewhere or barely make any money selling satellite dishes? Tough choice. :skeptical:

This doesn't even take into account that the coach didn't have his coaching responsibilities figured out.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Are these the big bad things going on behind the scenes you Morgan bashers are talking about? And these picky little episodes of being late or players eating fast food are just that, picky, and may have very good explanations, but certainly not anything to get too upset about. I think I'll put more stock in the results, which were waaay better than the coach you guys keep defending. Frak- See my prior post regarding the ridiculous "he's not coaching now" excuse.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Are these the big bad things going on behind the scenes you Morgan bashers are talking about? And these picky little episodes of being late or players eating fast food are just that, picky, and may have very good explanations, but certainly not anything to get too upset about. I think I'll put more stock in the results, which were waaay better than the coach you guys keep defending. Frak- See my prior post regarding the ridiculous "he's not coaching now" excuse.

Okay Wayne....I think you've made your point.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And these picky little episodes of being late or players eating fast food are just that, picky, and may have very good explanations, but certainly not anything to get too upset about.

Except they were closer to the norm than to isolated incidents.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Hm, go make 6 digits coaching basketball somewhere or barely make any money selling satellite dishes? Tough choice. :skeptical:
If he is that stupid, he shouldn't be coaching or a parent period.

Picky episodes? It happened nearly every time they had a game or practice. He had absolutely 0 control over himself or the team. He was a terrible coach. End of story. Why do you think there was a huge exodus? G-Mac brought stability and accountability to the program. Rahshon is one of everyone's favorite Cyclones, and from having talked to him personally, he was here because his fiance was here. If she wouldn't have been here, he was gone. Is he a great guy? Yes he is. Do I give him credit for staying? Yes I do. However, was it as easy as he was at Iowa State because he wanted to be here? Not completely.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Gee IsSuU- I thought recruiting was part of being a good coach, probably the most important part when it comes to major college basketball. It's taken our current coach 3 years and millions of dollars later to figure that out. And didn't the team gpa improve under Morgan from the LE years? Players quitting has caused a big problem for us, but it's been worse under GMac than Morgan. And pretty sad when you say the guy can't coach to save his life, yet he had 4 post season wins in 3 years, 3 winning records and 4 wins over top 8 programs. He also beat GMac's best 3 UNI teams 2 of 3 games, so what do you think of GMac as a coach if Morgan was so bad? Just more opinion and garbage not backed up by the records and results.

Reactions: CyGuy33

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Bobber- I've said before that I don't start the Morgan threads, but I will defend him when I see them, and will continue to do so as long as the bashers keep bringing him up. I can assure you I'm not Morgan and have only met him once. I liked him, and I really liked Archibald and think that staff got the shaft considering they took over our program when it was in deep trouble and gave us many great wins and post season fun.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
From reading posts by Rashon's girlfriend I would say they both liked Morgan (she defended him several times against the bashers) and his problem with staying was GMac's style of play. I find it hard to believe he was considering leaving because of Morgan, which your post seems to infer.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Bobber- I've said before that I don't start the Morgan threads, but I will defend him when I see them, and will continue to do so as long as the bashers keep bringing him up. I can assure you I'm not Morgan and have only met him once. I liked him, and I really liked Archibald and think that staff got the shaft considering they took over our program when it was in deep trouble and gave us many great wins and post season fun.

The bottom line is that wayne morgan is a better coach than mcdud...just check the win/loss/postseason records....

FTR...after going thru the jamie years ..."I can handle most anything that comes my way".....:biglaugh:

Reactions: acrozier22

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Gee IsSuU- I thought recruiting was part of being a good coach, probably the most important part when it comes to major college basketball. It's taken our current coach 3 years and millions of dollars later to figure that out. And didn't the team gpa improve under Morgan from the LE years? Players quitting has caused a big problem for us, but it's been worse under GMac than Morgan. And pretty sad when you say the guy can't coach to save his life, yet he had 4 post season wins in 3 years, 3 winning records and 4 wins over top 8 programs. He also beat GMac's best 3 UNI teams 2 of 3 games, so what do you think of GMac as a coach if Morgan was so bad? Just more opinion and garbage not backed up by the records and results.

If Wayne was such a great recruiter, his teams VASTLY underachieved. You put GMac as the coach of the players Wayne recruited, they'd have a better record. Coaching boils down to getting your team up for every game. Not saying, "Well, we have #3 in the country at home tonight, let's go get 'em" and winning. Then turning around the next game and losing to a team that doesn't deserve to be on the same floor.

Who the hell wanted to quit under Morgan? There was NO discipline. They were being paid to play basketball. They didn't go to class, they didn't work out, and they showed up to practice when they wanted to only to wait for their head coach to show up. 4 post season wins of which I believe 1? was in the NCAA Tournament over Minnesota before we got destroyed by North Carolina? (I could be wrong there..I'm too lazy to look it up). Exactly what happened in the game against UNI that he didn't win? We got SMOKED!

McDermott is just getting it now. Have his records sucked the last three years? Yep. However, let's dig a little deeper. In year 1, we didn't have a chance to be any good because the whole team left. Year 1 was in the tubes. Year 2 we finally get to do some real recruiting. It was brutal. Year 2 went to hell. Year 3 rolls around, we should start expecting production around recruits from Year 1. Oh crap, we didn't have recruits from year 1 because we didn't have a recruiting season. Guess what, now he looks to have it figured out, and the future looks much brighter.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
From reading posts by Rashon's girlfriend I would say they both liked Morgan (she defended him several times against the bashers) and his problem with staying was GMac's style of play. I find it hard to believe he was considering leaving because of Morgan, which your post seems to infer.

The ONLY thing that kept Rahshon here was Amber. End of story. You can believe what you want, but that is 100% accurate.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
What are you smoking? And when did we get 6 conference titles in MBB?

The 3 conference titles in football can be debated sense one of them is a share of the Big 12 North. In MBB, we have won the conference tourney championship game in these years: 1955, 1959, 1996, 2000; and the conference outright in these years: 1935, 1941, 1944, 1945, 2000, 2001. For those that have trouble adding, that is actually 10 conference titles.

Additionally, JP was the athletic director for the 2005 football season so he can claim one bowl.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
IcCyU-Better check your facts. The huge exodus of players and recruits occurred after Morgan was canned and GMac was named the coach. Both Blaylock and Stinson said they may return to the program if the draft didn't work out. Stinson himself said in an interview a month ago that he wonders how good the team could have been had everybody returned. GMac couldn't talk him or Blaylock into returning. GMac has brought stability to the program? You've got to be kidding, how many players have quit under GMac?