For those going to tailgate in Iowa City this year...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
Looks like they are changing/enforcing some of the rules around there.

First, for those who like to enjoy a brew or two on the walk down to the stadium, it looks like they are going to be strictly enforcing the open container law when walking down public streets (at least they say they are, if they have the capacity to do so is another story).

Second, for those who will be parking in a university owned lot, drinking must be halted an hour of the game ends and the tailgate needs to be over two hours after the game ends.

Third, they are going to set up DUI checkpoints after the game is over as well.

Just an FYI for those making the trip over...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Their tailgating has gotten out of control and I'm not talking about the students. This should help quite a bit, if it is enforced. Every fanbase has their share of drunken idiots in the student sections, but in IC the student mentality of drinking has shown up in other parts of the stands as well.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I'll be at the Ridgemont in Windsor Heights... screw dealing with all those Hoks.

Reactions: SC Cy

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
DO NOT take bottles of hard liquor anywhere on University property if you do not want them dumped out. We tailgated at the Iowa Hall of Fame parking lot last time, and some ISU fans had about 100 bucks worth of hard liquor dumped out by the police.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
DO NOT take bottles of hard liquor anywhere on University property if you do not want them dumped out. We tailgated at the Iowa Hall of Fame parking lot last time, and some ISU fans had about 100 bucks worth of hard liquor dumped out by the police.

I wonder if it was because they were clone fans...

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro

You can take them but whatever you do don't have them in open view, whether it's in your hands or sitting in the back of the SUV, if the cops see it, it's getting dumped. Your best bet is to hide it in the back seat or somewhere where it can't be seen and mix your drinks there into a plastic cup. I've been to a handful of games in Iowa City and have never had a problem with it since I started keeping it out of sight.

tube1

Oct 19, 2006

Just like that golfer dude yesterday, failure to know the rules does not make a valid excuse. We need to understand the rules before we go out.

Now let's all be careful out there and find ways to tailgate without being obvious benders of their regulations.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Just like that golfer dude yesterday, failure to know the rules does not make a valid excuse. We need to understand the rules before we go out.

Now let's all be careful out there and find ways to tailgate without being obvious benders of their regulations.

The point was lots of people had bottles out. The ISU fans were the ones punished.

Cysrevenge

Aug 13, 2010
a lot of tavern fans are outraged by this.

"I thought this was america"

"let the people drink"

It's like they are completely oblivious to the serious issues the town has with alcohol. and it DEFINITELY is more than just the students.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I got interviewed by Fox 9 on this issue today. Told them I was an Iowa State season ticket holder, but gave my opinion anyway.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
the grass lots in Ames are University owned right?

someone go steal Jamie's newspaper - we don't need him getting any crazy ideas

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
the grass lots in Ames are University owned right?

someone go steal Jamie's newspaper - we don't need him getting any crazy ideas

Except for the Haunted Forest grass lot.

In regards to the open container issue I see this all the time in Ames. The difference between the two is that pretty much all the lots and area around Jack Trice is university owned land so I'm assuming they don't care if you walk around with an open container (although I have been told a few times that I can't cross the street with it) while in Iowa City most of the area around Kinnick is residential land therefore they have the right to issue open container citations. Guess we should be thankful then!

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Except for the Haunted Forest grass lot.

In regards to the open container issue I see this all the time in Ames. The difference between the two is that pretty much all the lots and area around Jack Trice is university owned land so I'm assuming they don't care if you walk around with an open container (although I have been told a few times that I can't cross the street with it) while in Iowa City most of the area around Kinnick is residential land therefore they have the right to issue open container citations. Guess we should be thankful then!

crossing the street with it is legal as long as you do it really fast :cool: