For those concerned about transfers

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
@geewago have they announced the date for UConn@BU for next season?

By the way we've got 28 degrees and snow today.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
@geewago have they announced the date for UConn@BU for next season?

By the way we've got 28 degrees and snow today.
I haven't seen any dates on the schedule yet, just the names of who they're playing. Will be playing UConn, S. Carolina, Arizona St, and Stanford. Don't remember the rest of them.

72 degrees today. Our corn is looking good. Most of the fields are 6 to 10 inches tall right now. Should be harvesting wheat in about 35 days.

Reactions: NWICY

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
THE LATEST: as of 7:59 April 5th is that sources at Tech are saying that Strolling has been hired and that all assistant coaches are gone. This should be confirmed by morning I would think. However they have already un-officially announced the hiring of two other coaches but it fell through,

Finally seeing reports that she has indeed been offered the job and will decide today.

http://kstp.com/sports/marlene-stollings-gophers-womens-basketball-ncaa-texas-tech/4854664/?cat=7

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Finally seeing reports that she has indeed been offered the job and will decide today.

http://kstp.com/sports/marlene-stollings-gophers-womens-basketball-ncaa-texas-tech/4854664/?cat=7

Heck, I live here and this note on her record surprised me a little:

"Stollings has an 82-47 record over four seasons with the Gophers. "

The way the fans talk here you would have thought it was more like 64-65.

Time to go check into the GopherHole and see what the fans are saying. :rolleyes:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
She does have her work cut out for her at Tech. She could sure use a couple of graduate transfers and some top notch JC's.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I haven't seen any dates on the schedule yet, just the names of who they're playing. Will be playing UConn, S. Carolina, Arizona St, and Stanford. Don't remember the rest of them.

72 degrees today. Our corn is looking good. Most of the fields are 6 to 10 inches tall right now. Should be harvesting wheat in about 35 days.

Soil temps are all below 32 degrees except for the southern third which is almost to 37. No pastures even have a hint of green yet. Picked up a couple of inches of snow Sun but it mainly melted away today, Northern Iowa picked up another 6-8 inches:(. Spring will get here but darn it's coming slow. I'm guessing most people are at least 2 wks from corn planting unless things change drastically.

That is an awesome non-con schedule. Go 3-1 on that deal and you'll be off to a great start.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Time to secure MN WBB talent during the transition.

Gotta give the Gophers credit for communication. Got this email from them already this afternoon. I buy a couple tickets on occasion for games, not even once a year, and hear from them all of the time via email and snail mailings. I rarely hear from ISU Athletics even though I am a Cyclone Club member and buy tickets. Maybe we pretty much only correspond with season ticket holders? Or maybe they think I live too far away based on some algorithm or something.

University of Minnesota Athletics Director Mark Coyle confirmed today that Head Coach Marlene Stollings, who has led the Gopher women’s basketball program for the past four seasons, is resigning to take the same position at Texas Tech.

“I appreciate what Coach Stollings accomplished in her time with us, particularly this past season when her team provided some great memories for Gopher fans. We wish her the best in her new position,” said Coyle. “We have already begun identifying candidates to be our next head coach. Our program has a history of success, brand-new facilities that are among the best in the country, and a talented core returning. I’m excited to meet with candidates and share everything Gopher Women’s Basketball has to offer.”

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Gotta give the Gophers credit for communication. Got this email from them already this afternoon. I buy a couple tickets on occasion for games, not even once a year, and hear from them all of the time via email and snail mailings. I rarely hear from ISU Athletics even though I am a Cyclone Club member and buy tickets. Maybe we pretty much only correspond with season ticket holders? Or maybe they think I live too far away based on some algorithm or something.
I have really only bought tickets there when ISU has played at the Barn. I guess I might have also interacted with their ticket office for MN United tickets as well. Even with that very limited interaction we are firmly on their active mailing list.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
MN StarTribune:

-----
Possible candidates could include South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston, Notre Dame assistant coach Niele Ivey, Gophers assistant Nikki Lowry-Dawkins and Connecticut assistant coach Marisa Moseley, a former Gophers assistant under Borton.
-----

The fan favorite was Whalen who pretty much said she's staying Pro.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
MN StarTribune:

-----
Possible candidates could include South Dakota State coach Aaron Johnston, Notre Dame assistant coach Niele Ivey, Gophers assistant Nikki Lowry-Dawkins and Connecticut assistant coach Marisa Moseley, a former Gophers assistant under Borton.
-----

Some fan chatter about getting someone who can land 2020 prospect Paige Bueckers of Hopkins HS. Top 5 and #1 PG per Prospects Nation. She really hasn't ruled out the Gophers but with Geno and others traveling here all of the time to see her play some of the other fans are putting the Gophers chances at about 1%. The ND assistant you mention is one on the recruiting trail for her.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
giphy.gif

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This could make things very interesting around here. Whalen is like a goddess to a lot of Minnesota basketball. Between her college career here and being a multiple WNBA champion with the hometown Lynx she has some serious cred.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Kinda telegraphed it a little with the job announcement minimum qualifications of three years coaching OR seven years playing in the NBA or WNBA.

Anyway, bold move and interesting that she is playing this summer still with the Lynx.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw a Gopher fan commenting that Dawn Staley did this while also coaching. Looked it up and, yup, for like five years or more doing both coaching and WNBA. Whalen won't be doing it that long (she's 35) and has the advantage of being a WNBA player in the same town.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron