For the first time in my life...

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
i was cheering for the other team to win. This team has mailed it in!!!!! They are playing the worst defense i have seen from an ISU team since the last year of the Wayne Morgan era. We are getting shredded in the lane by a bunch of nonathletic white guys and out hustled consistently. At times the team is laughing and smiling when they should feel terrible for not improving or trying to reach their potential. GMAC has lost control, it is too late, this team will start at best 2-3 or 1-4 in the Big 12 and it will be officially over.

We need to start figuring out how to find a blue collar hard working coach to come in and save ISU Basketball. We need someone to teach defense, rebounding, and how to move the ball on the offensive side of the court to get an open shot. We never put our players in positions to excel. We never call timeouts or have the right players on the court an overwhelming majority of the time.

The best win of my opinion and will be the best win in the McDermott era is the win his first year here at Minnesota. Mike Taylor won the game by himself and that is sad that it will be my only positive memory in the GMAC era.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
i was cheering for the other team to win. This team has mailed it in!!!!! They are playing the worst defense i have seen from an ISU team since the last year of the Wayne Morgan era. We are getting shredded in the lane by a bunch of nonathletic white guys and out hustled consistently. At times the team is laughing and smiling when they should feel terrible for not improving or trying to reach their potential. GMAC has lost control, it is too late, this team will start at best 2-3 or 1-4 in the Big 12 and it will be officially over.

We need to start figuring out how to find a blue collar hard working coach to come in and save ISU Basketball. We need someone to teach defense, rebounding, and how to move the ball on the offensive side of the court to get an open shot. We never put are players in positions to excel. We never call timeouts or have the right players on the court an overwhelming majority of the time.

The best win of my opinion and will be the best win in the McDermott era is the win his first year here at Minnesota. Mike Taylor won the game by himself and that is sad that it will be my only positive memory in the GMAC era.

Me too... and to think a good amount of ISU fans hated him because he was 'wild with the ball'

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis

We need to start figuring out how to find a blue collar hard working coach to come in and save ISU Basketball. We need someone to teach defense, rebounding, and how to move the ball on the offensive side of the court to get an open shot. We never put are players in positions to excel. We never call timeouts or have the right players on the court an overwhelming majority of the time.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you about the last season of the Wayne Morgan era. That team always walked on the court expecting to dazzle the other team by their presence, and then would forget to play basketball. But unlike the Morgan era though, I blame our current team's lack of preparation on the coaching staff.

Agree 100% about the Mike Taylor game vs Minnesota.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Man I found a way to watch this game....upgraded tv package....Anyway, I really think everyone on here thought we had more talent on this team that what we really do and set up everyone's expectation's higher than they should have been.....If you look at our roster, we're not that talented outside of 2-3 positions/individuals.

That being said.....I'm never one to put anything on coaches, but talent level rest's on McD. Something needs to happen. This is pathetic

Lucca should being seeing 10 min a game, he does nothing......For a shooterI wish we had Sullivan, he acutally made some effort to get looks to the basket and for other teammates.

Craig needs to do something. Or McD needs to do something to get Craig more looks. Everything should revolve around Craig offensively

Most of all, the players need to get their **** together and work everything out, after al,l it's about their future we're talking about. If they're getting sick of each other, take one practice off and bring some boxing gloves instead, have them go at it and get it out of their system. I don't know what's wrong, but some of it falls on our players and they need figure some **** out.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I don't understand why Lucca just stands around. That's coaching... that's not Luccas fault. Do you guys remember how many screens Jake would run around/through to get an open look at a three? The only time Lucca gets an open 3 is if the defender just completely loses him.

This offense is utterly painful to watch.

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
McDermott should be fighting for his life, where does he go if he loses this job!!! He already left is alma mater. He is doing nothing and i can't figure why. If it was me i would be doing everything humanly possible to save my career. Sadly i want this team to fail badly so we don't have to go through one more season of this crap!!!

We would have been better of keeping Morgan than having McDermott!!! At least we would have had Big 12 caliber players that would be entertaining to watch.

jberryma

Oct 5, 2006
Great to know we have great fan support

I agree. GBC if it's true that you actually rooted against ISU today, I officially would like to say that we no longer need you as a fan. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. I understand frustration but I could never root against my favorite team. Pathetic!

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
We do have good fan support, i have been positive every year McDermott has been here until the loss versus UNI this year. I knew at that point how the season was going to play out. I was ****** when they fired Morgan. In my lifetime i have liked every coach we had, i didn't want Eustachy to get fired either. I guess what i am saying is GMAC has put me in this position. I can handle losing, i don't like it, but we need to be well coached and showing effort in order for me to except a loss.

Reactions: CTTB78

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

We need to start figuring out how to find a blue collar hard working coach to come in and save ISU Basketball. We need someone to teach defense, rebounding, and how to move the ball on the offensive side of the court to get an open shot. We never put our players in positions to excel. We never call timeouts or have the right players on the court an overwhelming majority of the time.

Really? Is this the first time in your life you have said something like this about ISU basketball? Maybe it is true for you, but this sort of thing seems to flow very easily from many of our cyber "fans."

I think we will still see plenty to get excited about in Big 12 competition.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Really? Is this the first time in your life you have said something like this about ISU basketball? Maybe it is true for you, but this sort of thing seems to flow very easily from many of our cyber "fans."

I think we will still see plenty to get excited about in Big 12 competition.
I am excited to see top 10 teams play.

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
What have you seen from this team that makes you think they are going to turn it around? We are getting worse as the season goes along!!! We have never recovered from the Northwestern loss coupled with the UNI loss. As soon as this team faced adversity the mailed it in.

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
I will NEVER root for any team ISU is playing against to win in any sport. It's always better for the school and the team to get a win, no matter how ugly it may be.

If you're to that point, you should really reevaluate being an ISU fan.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
We do have good fan support, i have been positive every year McDermott has been here until the loss versus UNI this year. I knew at that point how the season was going to play out. I was ****** when they fired Morgan. In my lifetime i have liked every coach we had, i didn't want Eustachy to get fired either. I guess what i am saying is GMAC has put me in this position. I can handle losing, i don't like it, but we need to be well coached and showing effort in order for me to except a loss.

:biglaugh:

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
There's two scenarios:

1 - Blue collar, defense minded, rebounding, good on ball defense team

OR

2 - Razzle dazzle, highly touted recruits, lack of effort, high scoring mail it in team

LE's Elite Eight team was physically #2, but was forced to play like #1. That showed in LE's later years. Wayne went complete towards #1, while GM played #1 at UNI then decided we needed a upgrade in talent to compete in the Big 12, which transitioned this team towards #1.

It's tough to let GM go, because you might end up with Lickliter who's a solid #2.

Last edited:

GBC

Apr 10, 2006
Don't question me being a fan i don't want to prolong the inevitable, a coaching change. We have suffered for four years, i do not want to suffer for another year!!! The sooner we make a change the sooner we are winning again. Whether it is 1,2,5,7,10 years from now it will be sooner by one year, if we make a change after this season. If we wait until after next season what do we gain nothing!!!

I am an Iowa State Grad, and lived for 25+ years in Boone and Story County. I am a die hard. I hate losing to Iowa, Drake, UNI, all ranked teams, and 10+ games in the big 12 each season, it sucks!!!!

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
IF things don't get turned around this season, I will jump off the McDermott bandwagon. Right now there are still 16 regular season games to be played so let's not throw in the towel yet.

ISU needs to get more physical post players to be successful. I think that was WM's downfall as well. Once Homan graduated, he didn't have anyone to replace him. McDermott has totally missed the boat with his recruiting. We have guys who like to go one on one 18 feet from the basket. We hardly ever get any easy shots around the basket. Even when we have position down low there are no easy shots because our guys are too thin and easily bumped out of the way. How many times have Dendy and Brackins missed layups within 3 feet of the hoop?