For NFL die hards, would you accept Coach Campbell leaving for your team?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Would you accept Matt Campbell leaving for your favorite nfl team?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
If he’s going to the NFL no matter what, I’d want him coaching the Bears. I’d also feel bad for him, due to the incompetent ownership. Basically the same perspective I had with Fred and the Bulls.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In college, the head coach is essentially a CEO, high priest, and dictator all rolled into one.

In the NFL, the head coach (with rare and hoodie-related exceptions) is a middle-manager.

I think I know which Campbell likes.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
It would suck if he left but I don't care about the NFL. If that is his goal more power to him. Nothing I can do about it anyway.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
No but mostly because I got Big Red as my guy and he’s an offensive genius.

process has already been complete in KC

Reactions: clone2003

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
True Story: Shortly after Tim Floyd took the Bulls job, I was at O'Hare waiting to board a flight. I had a lady in front of me see my Iowa State polo shirt and ask if I was excited about that! lol. You should have seen the glare on my face! I have no idea why anybody would be happy about a coach of their favorite College Team (especially if you are an Alum like I am) would leave for a Pro Team. None! That being said, Matt Campbell is a grown man and does not have to answer to me. He can do what he likes and good for him. However, I will NOT like it if it happens.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
True Story: Shortly after Tim Floyd took the Bulls job, I was at O'Hare waiting to board a flight. I had a lady in front of me see my Iowa State polo shirt and ask if I was excited about that! lol. You should have seen the glare on my face! I have no idea why anybody would be happy about a coach of their favorite College Team (especially if you are an Alum like I am) would leave for a Pro Team. None! That being said, Matt Campbell is a grown man and does not have to answer to me. He can do what he likes and good for him. However, I will NOT like it if it happens.

If the coach wasn't doing very well and left, I wouldn't care. Kind of unusual for that though although Kingsbury was pretty marginal at Tech and got the NFL gig.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
If the coach wasn't doing very well and left, I wouldn't care. Kind of unusual for that though although Kingsbury was pretty marginal at Tech and got the NFL gig.
That is a GREAT point! I was thrilled when BOTH Chizik left for Auburn and McDermott left for Creighton. I didn't care for either of those guys.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
That is a GREAT point! I was thrilled when BOTH Chizik left for Auburn and McDermott left for Creighton. I didn't care for either of those guys.

More talking about not dong well and leaving for pro gigs...that doesn't seem to happen very often, especially for a head coaching job.

But yeah there was nothing sad about those departures.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Would the only time you would accept Campbell leaving, would it be if he accepted a head coaching job at your favorite NFL team? That includes people who are fans of already stable nfl teams. So it could include the Packers, Bears, Saints etc.. doesn’t have to be a team that needs a HC currently.
Campbell might be the only coach that could turn around the cowboys but heeeeeeck no

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and AlaCyclone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm a Chiefs fan so I'm content with Andy Reid right now. That being said I still would rather have a proven NFL guy if they were looking for a coach and the ISU fan in me would prefer Campbell stays at ISU.

Honestly if you listen to anything CMC has said or interviews he's done he's motivated by developing young men and a culture and that's been all what he's been about since a player as well. I just don't see how what drives him as a coach translating to enjoying a NFL job when your main job is managing overpaid egos and have a short leash when it comes to what ownership considers success. I would have an easier time accepting if he left for Ohio State or Notre Dame than I would going to coach some crappy NFL team because he just seems like much better suited to be a college coach than an NFL coach knowing what drives him and what his personality is like.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
I’m torn. I think his personality would be good in Chicago if given some gm duties and time to turn things around but I don’t think people would give him enough time to make the necessary changes (nor do I think many of the nfl franchises would).
Chicago has already met it's quota of ISU coaches, no matter the sport. They are done.

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: cyputz and 2020cy

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Ya Andy isn’t going anywhere. Unless he has a heart attack. Matt can stay here for the long haul. Slow and steady wins the race.

RClone

Dec 8, 2019
These sort of questions always make me cringe ... as if ... the poster is a Hawkster ... or at best ... some misguided fan who has been brainwashed to think Iowa State cannot deserve/afford a GREAT long term coach ... and they agree with Smurf and Andy ...ISU will always suck. I wonder what other non ISU visitors think when they see this type of forum question ?

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
nice topic header for our recruits to read.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Having this happen twice as a Bulls fan will tell you that I do not come anywhere close to accepting this. Also, Campbell would be a complete idiot for going anywhere close to the Bears. It would be a disaster all around.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I do think Campbell would leave for a job he felt was the right situation for him and his family. I have stated it before but I could see him jump to a job like the Steelers. I am not saying Tomlin is leaving anytime soon...but that would be a job I could see Campbell feeling good about. I hope he stays at Iowa State for 20 more years! But if he does happen to leave for a NFL position it would be very interesting to see how he would assemble a coaching staff. He has been very loyal (for good reason) to his staff members. But would he take most of his staff with him to a potential NFL job? Would that staff necessarily mesh well in the NFL? Hope we don't have to find out...