For Cowboy fans chirping about the spot on their final play

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Uncatchable balls negate pass interference but have no bearing on defensive holding as far as I know. The ball doesn't even have to be passed for there to be defensive holding, just holding. It doesn't even have to be an eligible receiver that is being held. Sometimes they will call it on a defensive lineman who is holding an O lineman so that he can't get to the second level to block a linebacker.

The frustrating part about them calling off the defensive holding is that Brock made the Smart play and just threw the ball away to live to play another down. Picking up that flag was inexcusable.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
It does seem like a rule that needs some tweaking. I understand giving the defense a reasonable amount of time to match player personnel. If the offense has their 11 on the field and is set with time on the play clock, why couldn't the delay be an official's time out similar to an injury stoppage?

If you do something like this, teams would abuse this so that they could get free timeouts. When ever you need a free time out, wait until the offense subs, then walk out your sub on to the field so that the play clock runs out.

I could see a rule change that you cannot sub anything with less than 15 seconds on the play clock. And then you get until 5 seconds left on the play clock to get set. Once 5 seconds hits, ref pulls away and the ball can be snapped by the offense. Then you get what ever penalty is applicable.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Are Cowboy fans chirping about their two missed field goals?
After the game I told my wife that we were fortunate that the Cowboy's Missed Those 2 Field Goals or we would have Lost.....

Sometimes my friend the Football God's Smile Upon You!!...And Remember GO CYCLONES

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
After the game I told my wife that we were fortunate that the Cowboy's Missed Those 2 Field Goals or we would have Lost.....

Sometimes my friend the Football God's Smile Upon You!!...And Remember GO CYCLONES

Which would have made the decision to go for it on 4th down so early in the game that much harder as opposed to kicking a field goal (assuming we made it).

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
But absolutely within the rules and spot on by Gundy to take advantage of and get us to burn a timeout. I don't recall a game this season where we had so many late substitutions, 12 dudes on the field, etc. Hell, there was one play after a timeout where 12 guys went back out...they caught it at the last moment and he ran off the field. Things just seemed off in the game on player management...glad it didn't bite us in the end.

Heck, I'd have some assistant watching the opposing teams offense and if they subbed late, send a player in and make them burn a TO...
I totally agree it’s great gamesmanship and a brilliant coaching move. My problem is that I wouldn’t say it was a legitimate sub since no one was coming off and therefore would directly lead to an illegal substitution by the defense. I think it’s a potential rule improvement. Something like defining a substitution must result in 11 players on the field or something

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
To counter OSU's argument on the spot at the end of the game, just point them to our first drive and the terrible spot on Purdy's 3rd down run, which would have kept that drive going.

• Agree
Reactions: cysmiley

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Purdy also got horse-collar sacked (not called) in the first half for that a big loss and ensuing Okie State drive for points. Should've been an ISU first down. There were also plenty of other questionable ball spots and holding no-calls. The biggest miss-call was the unsportsmanlike call on X. That was totally bogus. But it got us fans into the game, which definitely became a factor.

That was the play where Purdy should have gotten rid of it. I thought it was a horse collar as well, but when I watched the replay I specifically looked for where he was grabbed. The OSU player had his arm over Purdy's shoulder and pulled him down. It had a similar look, but it wasn't a horse collar.

EDIT: Apologies. I'll have to watch it again, I guess. Velo made mention that he ended up grabbing the collar after the initial pull. I may not have watched it closely enough all the way through.

Last edited:

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
I don’t think so because they’re not going to give them the additional yards from the player being pulled. The ball would be spotted where the runner’s progress was stopped before the pull, so we decline the penalty.

None of the other common live ball penalties work that way though. Decline a block in the back or a hold, and the offense gets the ball where the play ended.

From the rule book

ARTICLE 1. REFUSAL OF PENALTIES

Unless expressly prohibited, the penalty for any foul may be declined by the offended team, and play proceeds as though no foul had been committed.

H

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

The one miss appeared to be at the edge of the kickers range. if that would have went through that would have been pretty hard to stomach.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I'll give you the 32 yarder, but the guy has a 39 yard career long and the first miss was from 50.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That was the play where Purdy should have gotten rid of it. I thought it was a horse collar as well, but when I watched the replay I specifically looked for where he was grabbed. The OSU player had his arm over Purdy's shoulder and pulled him down. It had a similar look, but it wasn't a horse collar.
The angle from the endzone shows him grab at the shoulder but then the hand slides and he gets a hold of the back of the jersey above the nameplate which by definition is a horsecollar. The last TV replay shows it.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Moot point. Should have been a penalty on the OSU lineman for pulling the ballcarrier forward. Iowa State declines, game over. Very simple.

That guy was spotting it short all day. Finally caught up to OSU at the end.

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Moot point. Should have been a penalty on the OSU lineman for pulling the ballcarrier forward. Iowa State declines, game over. Very simple.

Let alone that sideline judge until that play screwed us the WHOLE game!

83cy

May 14, 2006
Just noting, the first down was at the 40 and the yellow line was a good 1/2+ yard short of the 40. Even with the pull I don't think he made it to the 40.

• Agree
Reactions: cyrocksmypants

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
The official would not let us snap it until the Cowboys completed their half-hearted attempt at a substitution. Since the play clock was about to expire, that never happened. We were forced to call a timeout

I thought they had already run somebody off, but maybe my memory is wrong. Doesn't really matter, that big oaf never even made it to the defensive side of the ball.

H

yes.. but this is just a smart use of the rule by OSU. Def is allowed to sub. Net is, you can't make a late sub on offense or your at risk of having them pull this...

ISU has to get the right 11 on the field to start the play. Otherwise others will do this to us as well. In a close game, time outs are critical. You can't afford to use them like that.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

That's not exactly how the game works. Iowa State got the ball with a 3 point lead and about 4 minutes left in the game, and were very conservative with play calling. If they didn't have the lead at that point no doubt the play calling is different.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Okie Lite did that yesterday causing ISU to call a time out. Trotted on a lineman when they already had 11 players out there with no intention of a player coming off the field.

That's on the offense for getting plays in so late. It's been a persistent problem during Campbell's (cough cough Manning) tenure.

Our timeliness on getting plays in and clock management have to be some of the worst in CFB. Half of our timeouts have been burned because of this ****. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out/correft.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Speaking of controversial calls in a game with OSU, the YouTube algorithm thought I might be interested in this video. OSU kicking a field goal to take the lead late in the infamous 2011 game. I did not remember it at all. Sure looks good from the TV angle but that can be deceiving.