For all Cubs fans...ESPN 1000 just announced we signed Fukudome!

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
The Cubs could even sign Barry Bonds for center instead of Juan.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm mixed in with not knowing who's playing for the Cubs lately :wink: Juan left before this year, and we were platooning CFs this year - and we all know Bonds only has a shot with an AL team because his D is so bad nowadays...

I loved hearing we got Dome...a Cards friend of mine let me know the news while I was at a business dinner - made the sushi taste that much better!!! :)

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
I have been a Cubs fan for just under 30 years. I will get excited when they actually make the series. (I do appreciate the enthusiasm though expressed by others.)

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I have been a Cubs fan for just under 30 years. I will get excited when they actually make the series. (I do appreciate the enthusiasm though expressed by others.)

I agree 100% but you have to be happy that we are making some huge strides over the past two season to get there. Hey, the BoSox signed their Japanese star last year and won it, maybe that's a good sign for us!?!?

Tweedt4Cy

Apr 14, 2007
Ankeny
Thank god! Hopefully he can make a sucessful switch from japenese league to mlb and hopefully he puts up the same numbers as he did there. Excited bout the cubs this year.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I hope this turns out ok, especially considering the amount of money they've spent, but Japanese players can be a crap shoot. For every Ichiro, there's a Hideki Arabu. Even though the Red Sox won the World Series, they spent a ton of money on Dice-K who didn't quite live up to the coin spent on him. Heck, they paid over $50M just for the rights to negotiate with the guy.

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
interesting reported news about Fukudome(from mlbtraderumors.com):

• The Rangers offered the most money.
  • The White Sox were not outbid - they offered about the same as the Cubs. However, Fukudome did not want to displace Jermaine Dye from right field.
  • Fukudome was just intrigued by the Cubs, and liked the idea of being their first Japanese player.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
Fukudome helped his Japanese team win their first title in 53 years. Maybe that's his motivation for joining the Cubs.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I really like the speed that they have put together in the outfield. Soriano, Pie, and Fukudome should be able to chase down just about anything. I bet the pitching staff will sleep a little easier now.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I will admit I'm excited, but I want to wait and see him on the field against major league pitching. Not to mention, I'm sure we paid ALOT for him.

I hope he provides more bang for the buck than SorryONo.

CyBandCG

Dec 11, 2006
Ames, IA
I am very excited for this move, gives the cubs a left-handed bat. I think we could use another starter, but with D-lee, Ramirez, Soriano, and now Fukudome in the lineup, that is looking nice. I also read a good article today they may go after Brian Roberts or Chone Figgins. Also I don't understand how many people say that after a player turns 30 they are on the downside of their career. I don't think that is a correct statement anymore, maybe 10-15 years ago.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
This poor guy is gonna take a beating in certain venues because of his last name. I can only imagine what will happen in Philly...

cyclonekj

Apr 11, 2006
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe I visited the Fukudome the last time I was in Amsterdam...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I really like the speed that they have put together in the outfield. Soriano, Pie, and Fukudome should be able to chase down just about anything. I bet the pitching staff will sleep a little easier now.

What do they call Fukudome :wacko:for short?
Fdome? :eek:
Dome? :mask:
Fuk? :no:
Fuku? :tongue:
Just wondering.He better have a name like ARod :unsure:does if he is any good.:spinny:

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
I say Fuku for short... or Do Me.. and when I say me I mean mey...

I saw a report that they aren't sure he can hit left handers and might be a platoon player... That's kind of expensive for a platoon player.