Football Performance Center and NEZ

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Right now there's no way you can do anything in the NEZ with the Jacobsen Building there, so that will have to be removed. I don't like the Jacobsen Building anyway, so that would actually be a good thing, but adds to the expense too. There just isn't room for any seats on that end with how far that building extends out.
They already are talking about removing the Olsen as has been the plan for years, and going over/adding on to the Jacobson. IMO get rid of the Jacobson too, I haven't liked it since it was built.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
What a clonedude post. This isn’t about where you’d rather sit. Or any of us. Can you put a performance center and other AD needs up in that press box?

This isn’t really about the needs of JTS, it’s about enhancing JTS as a side benefit to getting a higher priority done. Obviously that’s easiest by doing some NEZ work.

I do agree though that they shouldn’t think small on this. Imo whatever makes this staff happy is priority, even if that means some non-revenue athletes have to use the Olsen building. Don’t spend a dime on demolishing Olsen if that savings can go to ISU FB or MBB in some fashion.

What a total FinalFourCy post. You obviously can't read, so I shouldn't even bother trying to reason with you, but please point to a post by me where I said we shouldn't build the performance center where the Olsen Building currently sits? I didn't, so why are you even asking if we can put it in the press box? Nobody is asking for that.

I've stated numerous times, you take care of CMC and his assistants first, then build the performance center next. But after all of that is done, I think you might consider doing the press box before you enclose the NEZ, that's all I'm saying. Who knows at that point, years and years from now, how much money you will have to spend, but I'm just saying I'd look at maybe doing the press box before enclosing the NEZ.

And to those that think adding a press box won't add value, you haven't seen many of today's new press boxes have you? Club seats, alcohol, TV's, etc. That certainly would add a lot of value, and as I've said, IMO I'd rather sit in a club seat on the side instead of in the endzone.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Right now there's no way you can do anything in the NEZ with the Jacobsen Building there, so that will have to be removed. I don't like the Jacobsen Building anyway, so that would actually be a good thing, but adds to the expense too. There just isn't room for any seats on that end with how far that building extends out.

I don’t think that’s true. Steeper seats could go in front with seats on the side. Potentially it’s cheaper to redo or remove the Jacobsen if adding significantly to capacity, but you don’t have to remove it to enhance the NEZ.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
What a total FinalFourCy post. You obviously can't read, so I shouldn't even bother trying to reason with you, but please point to a post by me where I said we shouldn't build the performance center where the Olsen Building currently sits? I didn't, so why are you even asking if we can put it in the press box? Nobody is asking for that.

I've stated numerous times, you take care of CMC and his assistants first, then build the performance center next. But after all of that is done, I think you might consider doing the press box before you enclose the NEZ, that's all I'm saying. Who knows at that point, years and years from now, how much money you will have to spend, but I'm just saying I'd look at maybe doing the press box before enclosing the NEZ.

And to those that think adding a press box won't add value, you haven't seen many of today's new press boxes have you? Club seats, alcohol, TV's, etc. That certainly would add a lot of value, and as I've said, IMO I'd rather sit in a club seat on the side instead of in the endzone.
So you are saying, you would rather sit in a club seat on the sideline. Ok, got it. Clonedude would rather sit in a club seat on the sideline.

• Winner
Reactions: FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
But after all of that is done, I think you might consider doing the press box before you enclose the NEZ, that's all I'm saying. Who knows at that point, years and years from now, how much money you will have to spend, but I'm just saying I'd look at maybe doing the press box before enclosing the NEZ.

You clearly still don’t understand. Again, they’re not choosing to do the NEZ over the press box. It’s not about where we’d rather sit. They’re likely to be choosing to do the NEZ as a feature of a performance center.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
So you are saying, you would rather sit in a club seat on the sideline. Ok, got it. Clonedude would rather sit in a club seat on the sideline.

And FinalFourCy would rather sit in the endzone. Good, at least we have that settled.

I think we can all agree that they screwed up massively in putting the Jacobsen Building where it is. If anything, they should have set it back with the idea in mind that at some point they might want to enclose that end.

I think the best, and most affordable way to do it would be to just make permanent seats over the hillside area and meet up with the side of the Jacobsen Building and just keep the band as they are now. Look at this pic and tell me how you add seats in front of the Jacobsen Building that would meet up well with the current lower bowl.

image_handler.aspx

Reactions: CyValley

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
And FinalFourCy would rather sit in the endzone. Good, at least we have that settled.

I think we can all agree that they screwed up massively in putting the Jacobsen Building where it is. If anything, they should have set it back with the idea in mind that at some point they might want to enclose it
You’re really struggling this morning. I advice you stay away from the game thread.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Watching Indiana play today. They did one of the endzones a couple of years ago and the other one is under construction. Their stadium is not near full today, but they are moving forward anyway. We should aspire to at least keep up with the Indiana's of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
You’re really struggling this morning. I advice you stay away from the game thread.

That's hilarious. When you have no rebuttal to make, you just tell people to leave.

I just want to discuss this topic with everyone. I think it's fun to do. No need to make anything personal among Cyclone friends IMO. But so be it.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Our stadium is much better than Indiana's as it is.
I just cant believe they are renovating the other end zone before adding on to that tiny press box.....The HORROR......they are putting all those club and suits in the end zone. Clonedude will never buy one of those tickets.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I just cant believe they are renovating the other end zone before adding on to that tiny press box.....The HORROR......they are putting all those club and suits in the end zone. Clonedude will never buy one of those tickets.

This is really a stupid argument because some on here think a press box is just for media people and assistant coaches, which couldn't be further from the truth. So unless we're talking about the same thing, there's no reason to debate this.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
This is really a stupid argument because some on here think a press box is just for media people and assistant coaches, which couldn't be further from the truth. So unless we're talking about the same thing, there's no reason to debate this.
The problem is, what we on here are trying to say is if we are already doing something in the NEZ why wouldn't we finish it. Not that one should be done over the other. But the other problem is, that at least some of the Skybox is Media and coaches, therefore no ROI, there will be ROI with a skybox, but a Skybox would be a much higher price tag, with a smaller ROI, so it has to be the right time, and will not be piggybacked on to another project like the NEZ could be.
So to conclude:
1. We do have suites on the entire west Sideline.
2. We do have club seats on the East sideline, the JTS Club.
3. Adding club levels to End zones increases the value of End zones thus larger ROI.
4. We are building something in the NEZ area, regardless of whether it includes stadium improvements or not, it would make sense to piggyback the NEZ improvements with it.
5. Completing the NEZ does not necessarily mean added Capacity, just actual seats.
6.Skybox expansion would be nice, everyone agrees, but would be very expensive, and other areas can be improved with a greater ROI.
7. We build for more reasons than just increase capacity, although we build for future crowds not current, as well as towards largest crowds, not smallest.
8. We all should be happy about improvements wherever they come, they are good for the program, the school, and the future of it. Recruits love this stuff.
9. The SEZ Looks great, the NEZ looks terrible, especially now compared to the SEZ, we need to balance it out. The press box is on the small side but looks ok, there are other schools with smaller ones, there are some with larger ones.
10. We know you hate End Zone seats so I assume you have JTS club season tickets on the East sideline. Since you only will sit in sideline club seats.
11. Coaches and other facilities will still get their money and upgrades regardless of what they do with the NEZ. They spread it around, I think we can see there has been a lot of investment in all facilities in all sports over the last 15 years, as well as around campus.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That's hilarious. When you have no rebuttal to make, you just tell people to leave.

I just want to discuss this topic with everyone. I think it's fun to do. No need to make anything personal among Cyclone friends IMO. But so be it.
You haven’t yet offered anything to refute. I didn’t ask you to leave, unless this is the game thread (it’s not). Details aren’t your specialty.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Watching Indiana play today. They did one of the endzones a couple of years ago and the other one is under construction. Their stadium is not near full today, but they are moving forward anyway. We should aspire to at least keep up with the Indiana's of the world.
Just for a **** measuring contest or what?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Honest question. How do other schools/teams size their stadiums? To their largest possible crowd or to some amount of seats above average attendance?

That's a great question ....I tuned into the Texas A&M game and that huge stadium had lots of empty seats.....which begs the question of when is too big of a stadium, too much to sell out conference games?

Most schools play their biggest rival at the end of the season, we don't so we will always sell out early and struggle to sell out late depending upon the opponent....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
tenor.gif

I agree that the hillsides don't necessarily project that "Big Time" vibe, but with a packed house, it still looks quite good and it adds a unique factor to our stadium. If/when it comes time to revamp the NEZ, I will understand if they go away, but they aren't some kind of eyesore that make our stadium look terrible. They are a family friendly alternative and make it much easier to accommodate a large family with children of various ages.

FINALLY:
There's a BIG difference between this:
USATSI_6214842.jpg

and THIS:
JackTriceStadium4.jpg
Gee that KU photo looks like some of the crowds (I use the term loosely) I encountered when I saw the Clones play at KU......I talked to one Jayhawk fan who raved about our NEW stadium and said he wished KU could afford a new stadium....and I'm talking about JTS circa 1980's......

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Raze the entire NEZ and do it right, no half measures or don't do it at all. The Jacobsen building looks terrible, no sense pumping more money into it.
Better yet, if it’s possible, don’t even spend money on razing it (or Olsen). Just build and hide it if at all possible.