Football Parking Selection

• Presidential Race Discussion - Please make sure to keep all discussion within the "Politics Forum" in order to keep the main forums civil and politics-free.
    You can opt-in to the Political Forum in your user settings - note that the change may take up to 2 hours to process.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
$180 season pass in the Haunted Forest doesn't seem that bad now. Early parking, easy out, can park a camper the day before, and I can stake out our area ahead of time. The downside is if it rains, it could get mushy. They did some grading and reseeded it a few years ago. I'm happy. It will be a sad day when ISU does offer them the big $$ to buy the land. Was told they were in talks with ISU this spring but when they came out with parking pass prices.... obviously it didn't happen. Still have the other private lot on the north side of South 4th bringe also.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
$180 season pass in the Haunted Forest doesn't seem that bad now. Early parking, easy out, can park a camper the day before, and I can stake out our area ahead of time. The downside is if it rains, it could get mushy. They did some grading and reseeded it a few years ago. I'm happy. It will be a sad day when ISU does offer them the big $$ to buy the land. Was told they were in talks with ISU this spring but when they came out with parking pass prices.... obviously it didn't happen. Still have the other private lot on the north side of South 4th bringe also.
Any HF passes left? My son needs a pass somewhere. Or if someone has a pass anywhere they are willing to sell?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The red stars are trolly stops

The official trolley runs infrequently and only along a prescribed route. I think there is a huge market for golf cart or even bicycle rickshaws, especially for those going in/out of the RV Village.

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yes, G10 used by staff and gameday ops. This could be some of the most valuable parking inventory for those that have both visiting the RV Village and the game in their plans.

Seriously. It seems like they could run a shuttle all day long for staff to park farther away (e.g. MWL or Vet Med) and charge a premium for donors to park close in G-10. I need to find some folks who are working during the game and are willing to be dropped off in return for use of their parking access. Does anyone know if it is done by parking pass or personal ID card?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Hec, I'll buy a golf cart and decorate it in ISU colors. Then I will charge a few bucks to drop you off from your parking spot to Albaugh Plaza. My only requirement: I must be allowed to drink and drive... don't worry, I won't hurt anyone. I could see making some good money on this.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I have it on good authority athletics gets pissy about golf carts in the lots. I'm guessing RV lot is different.

And I got pissy last year when they said they would have a trolley to bring people from the G6 lot on Friday night to our RV spot for poker, but often stopped it a few hours before the lot closed, so guys had to walk back from the diagonal end of the RV Village.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I have it on good authority athletics gets pissy about golf carts in the lots. I'm guessing RV lot is different.
I wonder how they feel about the guy on the motorized cooler that buzzes around. I still haven’t been gifted one of those yet for Christmas. 52639AC9-9DA7-4F14-ABB7-9BFAE3DCE45B.jpeg

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The official trolley runs infrequently and only along a prescribed route. I think there is a huge market for golf cart or even bicycle rickshaws, especially for those going in/out of the RV Village.
They have rickshaws from vet med.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
100% agree. We'll see what athletics thought of it. I dont have the measurements but if they threw together a Target parking lot designed to maximize parking spots people are rightly going to be angry. If they took a Target parking lot and added a 10' driving lane down the middle of each row that's a different story.
For those wondering what the straight parking with a line behind to maintain a lane looks like look at KSUs parking. My guess is it will be similar.

1687619357741.png

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Interesting concept with the space saved next to the parking. Tiger Lane at the Liberty Bowl does it really well.

1687633687373.png

1687633761751.png

1687633888699.png

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
are they going to fill in all spots so the lane is open to tailgate like they do at Chiefs games?

It would be great to fill from back to front, but in reality it'll fill around the perimeter and next to islands first -- just like always -- making it a pain in the ass to get to open spots in the middle of rows.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
are they going to fill in all spots so the lane is open to tailgate like they do at Chiefs games?
It didn't sound like it. Said a 10' fire lane.

And frankly I hope they don't do that simply because it makes it so you have to show up with your whole group at the same time to park together and may also put vehicles with people who are tailgating elsewhere in what I would consider are the few actual good tailgating spots in some of the lots.

The D lots for example used to have a bunch of spots that were great for tailgating. The way they are reconfigured cut down a whole bunch of good spots. At least eyeballing it it appeared you would have enough room for a vehicle but tents are potentially going to be a thing of the past. You'll have to bring a truck just to be able to sit in the bed.

The really ludicrous part is if that's what happens ISU saved face with the "parking is a net increase with CyTown!" schpiel only to destroy tailgating. That will go over well.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
For those wondering what the straight parking with a line behind to maintain a lane looks like look at KSUs parking. My guess is it will be similar.

View attachment 113927

If Google's distances are correct, the parking spot dimensions and overall aisle width (not the "fire lane") in the K-State pic will be identical to the new lot layout at JTS.

Same usable dimensions as the angled parking, without the wasted corners.

Reactions: Tailg8er

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You really oughta drop this shtick. Iowa State is predominately an Ag school with tons of donors that work in the Ag industry. Not everyone is going to go buy a Mini Cooper or small sedan just to please you in the tailgate lots. Pickups are always going to be a reality at games here.

Like the song goes if weren't for pickup trucks we wouldn't have tailgates.;)

cyfan50438

Oct 31, 2007
Garner, IA
It didn't sound like it. Said a 10' fire lane.

And frankly I hope they don't do that simply because it makes it so you have to show up with your whole group at the same time to park together and may also put vehicles with people who are tailgating elsewhere in what I would consider are the few actual good tailgating spots in some of the lots.

The D lots for example used to have a bunch of spots that were great for tailgating. The way they are reconfigured cut down a whole bunch of good spots. At least eyeballing it it appeared you would have enough room for a vehicle but tents are potentially going to be a thing of the past. You'll have to bring a truck just to be able to sit in the bed.

The really ludicrous part is if that's what happens ISU saved face with the "parking is a net increase with CyTown!" schpiel only to destroy tailgating. That will go over well.
What I worry about with Cytown is that the tailgaiting experience that we are used to will go away to a "you must buy beer at a "Cytown vendor" or food from a "cytown vendor or restaurant". If that is the case i will probably will be cozying up to my TV on fall Saturdays. Hope not, been going to games for 15 years.

Reactions: NWICY