Football Attendance

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Unfortunately, probably not. In a low population state like Iowa, they’ll just see that as 60k people less watching tv screens.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
"there's nothing else to do in iowa. hi-yuk, hi-yuk"

-people in norman

YEAH. We reserve that joke for those rubes in Nebraska. Because they really have nothing better to do . . .

vauEUgn.gif

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I guess I find our attendance figures impressive considering we have two major universities representing two major conferences in such a small state. Some of the schools ahead of us, Nebraska, WIsconsin, Ohio State, Penn State, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, LSU, they all have pretty much a monopoly in football. Don't see anyone else in the top 30 list from those states.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I heard Andy crapping on us on the radio today saying we don’t have any room to go up. Guess he missed the memo that DSM is the fastest growing area in the Midwest. Ankeny is the 14th fastest growing city in the nation, Dallas County is the third fastest growing country in the nation etc etc.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
If we have a run of 8+ win seasons, surpassing our current capacity won’t be a problem.

Iowa State College years are long gone and being replaced by generations of ISU being a large state university that’s very into college athletic. The ISU community is growing, as is the general population within 1-hour.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
"there's nothing else to do in iowa. hi-yuk, hi-yuk"

-people in norman

I had one of the top comments on an ESPN video, about Torrey Smith, saying how Smith had more class than the whole city of Philly. Philly fans' responses were one of 1.) Everyone in Iowa is a hick or 2.) There is no pro sports team in Iowa so you don't have the right to an opinion. Brilliant stuff from people who haven't visited.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
28th overall and 3rd in conference. I would hope this helps if conference upheaval rears its ugly head again.

While attendance is nice, what will matter WHEN the conferences realign after the current TV deals expire in the mid 2020s is how popular ISU is on a national scale. By this time my guess is popularity will not only be TV ratings. It will also be tied to how many people pay to follow teams in all manners inlcuding TV, road attendance, Yahoo, etc. Thus, having a team that casual fans enjoy watching (thank you CMC), that people talk about (thank you Tom Herman and Ferentz), and a bunch of crazy Cyclone fans tuning in on all media will help.

Because the Big 12 is the most vulnerable we can only hope that 1) the Big 12 finds a way to stay relevant on its own (25% chance), the entirety of the Big 12 get redistributed to the other Power 5 (10% chance), ISU shows it is a better option than a non Big 12 team like Wake Forest (5% chance even though I would argue ISU already is) or ISU is more relevant than at least one and likely two other Big 12 teams (best chance). I hate to root for failure but we need a team other than Kansas to be the perennial doormat of the Big 12 football over the next five to ten years (their basketball brand is too good to ignore if the Big 12 implodes).

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
While attendance is nice, what will matter WHEN the conferences realign after the current TV deals expire in the mid 2020s is how popular ISU is on a national scale. By this time my guess is popularity will not only be TV ratings. It will also be tied to how many people pay to follow teams in all manners inlcuding TV, road attendance, Yahoo, etc. Thus, having a team that casual fans enjoy watching (thank you CMC), that people talk about (thank you Tom Herman and Ferentz), and a bunch of crazy Cyclone fans tuning in on all media will help.

Because the Big 12 is the most vulnerable we can only hope that 1) the Big 12 finds a way to stay relevant on its own (25% chance), the entirety of the Big 12 get redistributed to the other Power 5 (10% chance), ISU shows it is a better option than a non Big 12 team like Wake Forest (5% chance even though I would argue ISU already is) or ISU is more relevant than at least one and likely two other Big 12 teams (best chance). I hate to root for failure but we need a team other than Kansas to be the perennial doormat of the Big 12 football over the next five to ten years (their basketball brand is too good to ignore if the Big 12 implodes).

The Big 12 is more vulnerable than the Pac 12?

• Winner
Reactions: CYCLNST8

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Dude, the PAC-12 is burning down. Even their biggest brands are having issues. No way the Big 12 dissolves without the PAC going first.

I can see a very strong possiblity of 6 of the strongest schools leaving and merging with us. Perhaps 7 if WV leaves for ACC.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE

Honestly, right now Iowa State is known more nationally as a Basketball School that has a terrific court advantage. Campbell has 4-5 years to get the football team at least registering on the national radar...he made some noise this year with the upset of Oklahoma, but much more is needed.

Oh, and the Big 12 >> PAC 12...football and basketball-wise.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron