Floyd Goes Nuts!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Good thing, too. We were only down 4 when he could have picked up the T.

I couldn't agree more, I was hoping he did not pick up the T in that situation. But to see that, and than say McDermott never blows up on refs would be a stretch....

jdmillen

Mar 14, 2007
Did you watch the end of the OU Game? I'm still shocked McDermott did not pick up a T there...

I was at a wedding that day so I missed the 2nd half, but I heard it was a terribly called game. and that coach Rutter was holding Mac back from going balistic.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No wonder Floyd is going ballistic. Looks like USC will not make the NCAA tournament, and the average attendance at home is under 6,000.
Hey Tim - regret leaving Iowa State?

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
The big thing with this call is the defender never established a legal guarding position as he was still moving into the area of the offensive player. The kid deserves credit though because he sold it like a charge. In 3 man mechanics that call is right in the middle of the lead official (baseline) and the center officials primary zone. The center official did the correct thing in raising the fist to designate a foul but never motioned a mechanic. He waited for the lead official to make the call or to confer with him before making the call.

If you watch the video again the center official stands with his arm raised the whole time, never once does he motion "block".

I think the idea of giving out technical fouls for flops is a waste of time. No official will call a technical foul for a flop. Right now many high school associations have that as a rule already but you never see officials calling a T for a flop. The appropriate call (if any call is to be made) is just to make a block call and not give the defensive player the opportunity to be rewarded for "acting". Really good officials don't have this problem because they TALK to the players on the court. They emphasize that they are not going to call flops when they see them.

Tim Floyd had the right to be upset but the official to blame is the lead official, not the center official.

The T for a flop is a good thing, even though it is never called. Refs can use it as a deterrent. I myself haven't, but I have seen refs who've warned teams to quit flopping. The particular game I saw was full of flops which were really getting the fans riled up at the no calls. Calling them for a block is just going to rile the fans up even more, so during a timeout, the ref told both teams to stop the flopping or a T would be called. Rest of the game was as smooth as could be.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Have you been attending any men's basketball games this year? Not watching on TV, but actually sitting/standing in the stands...

Have season tickets and haven't missed to many games.

Not sure what you are getting at. Greg never gets a T and rarely works over an official. That is what gets Hilton so pumped. When Orr road the officials, Floyd took his jacket off, and LE blowing a gasket. The crowd eats that stuff up

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
No wonder Floyd is going ballistic. Looks like USC will not make the NCAA tournament, and the average attendance at home is under 6,000.
Hey Tim - regret leaving Iowa State?

Thus I say that he is an overrated coach. He did some great things at Hilton but after he left people talked about him as the greatest coach ever. Never saw it. Good coach but far from great

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Good posts clone52 & acrozier22.

I tend to wish there was a different rule about the flops too. Running out of bounds to avoid a screen used to be a T, but nobody called it. Now that its just a violation I've called it several times. I've never called a T on a flop, but I have told coaches and kids to knock it off. Don't know what the right answer is there ... not my problem I guess.

BTW, I gave my first flagrant foul in 8 years of working games. It was the crown jewel of a masterpiece of a jv game that also had 3 techs - had me wanting to go home and never ref again by halftime. Sometimes it is truely amazing who parents let coach their kids.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
PAC10 officiating has been suspect all year. Last week in the UCLA/ASU game there was a terrible charge called against Collison late in the game where DC made a great move to the basket and moving his body to the side of the defender as he was in the air. You could cleary see via replay that the defender was moving into collison as collison was in the air. This should have been a and one situation but ASU shot the FT's and changed the game in the last couple of minutes.

Just for clarification, they didn't shoot free throws for the charge did they? I'm assuming you meant they fouled on the following inbounds.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Have season tickets and haven't missed to many games.

Not sure what you are getting at. Greg never gets a T and rarely works over an official. That is what gets Hilton so pumped. When Orr road the officials, Floyd took his jacket off, and LE blowing a gasket. The crowd eats that stuff up

True he never gets a T, but the man has worked over officials in pretty much every game I have seen him coach...

acrozier22

Mar 17, 2006
Southeast Iowa
The T for a flop is a good thing, even though it is never called. Refs can use it as a deterrent. I myself haven't, but I have seen refs who've warned teams to quit flopping. The particular game I saw was full of flops which were really getting the fans riled up at the no calls. Calling them for a block is just going to rile the fans up even more, so during a timeout, the ref told both teams to stop the flopping or a T would be called. Rest of the game was as smooth as could be.

Using it for that reason is a smart use. Another example of an official who over communicated and was clear in his expectations and consequences and for that reason did not have to give a T.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
For those complaining about McDermott never getting a technical:

How often do you see technicals in college basketball? How many times has an opposing coach got a technical in one of our games?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
For those complaining about McDermott never getting a technical:

How often do you see technicals in college basketball? How many times has an opposing coach got a technical in one of our games?

Doc Sadler was trying hard to get one against us this year...

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
The score was out of hand at that point and the call - good, bad, or whatever - was not going to make any difference in the outcome of the game. If looked like Tim just wanted out of there.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
The score was out of hand at that point and the call - good, bad, or whatever - was not going to make any difference in the outcome of the game. If looked like Tim just wanted out of there.

If they get the block call, and the basket, then it is a 4 point game with a minute to go. That's not even close to being out of control.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines
Gmac cant show too much emotion, cuz he's so big if he showed emotion the ref is likely to be scared for his live and pee his pants :laugh: