Flooding in Cyclone Country

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I believe I-35 is completely open. I didn't get out that far, but haven't heard anything about it being closed. They've been saying on the radio that the Hwy 30 exits Westbound from the North and South are backed up. I'd assume that the 13th street exits are also backed up, as that's where Hwy 30 traffic is being diverted.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Just got back from DM. I35 is completely open, but the northbound lanes are backed up, due to accidents, by the HWY 30 exit.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Just got back from DM. I35 is completely open, but the northbound lanes are backed up, due to accidents, by the HWY 30 exit.

That interchange is an accident waiting to happen. I was with a friend and we were over by Old Chicago trying to get back to Main Street and he took 30 west to the Dayton Ave. exit. Dayton was closed and so was 30 west so we ended up going to 35 North to 13th Street. The Highway 30/I35 interchange was a mess as you had people exiting 35 to head east on 30 while you had people trying to get on the onramp to head on 35 North. Then at the same time they shut down the 35 exit to 30 west. I thought it was bad at 4:00 but it got progressively worse.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Did anyone else notice on WHO report that they said the flooding was due to the Raccoon River.... Last I check wasn't it the Skunk???

Great reporting there....

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
The next time you are in Wallabys look at the pictures behind where they take your reservation. They have a couple pictures taken from inside Hilton during the flood.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
WOW...I didn't realize this was happening! I used to work at O'Malley's and it looks like they're totally underwater... I might head to Ames tomorrow to help out.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I haven't been around a lot of floods, so I have a question.
How long does it usually take for the waters to recede, to almost normal, that are of this magnitude?

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I really hope Happy Joe's made it out with little damage. Hank is such a great guy and a Cyclone supporter, its a shame to see that happen.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I haven't been around a lot of floods, so I have a question.
How long does it usually take for the waters to recede, to almost normal, that are of this magnitude?

The waters are receding already. This wasn't an extremely huge flood.

However, it is supposed to rain every day next week, so they may return.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
The waters are receding already. This wasn't an extremely huge flood.

However, it is supposed to rain every day next week, so they may return.

This isn't an extremely huge flood??? Water reached its second highest level ever and its wasn't that huge of a flood?? Ask the owners of the businesses hit... I doubt they will say, "mmmm it wasn't that huge of a flood, I mean the water got extremely high then fell fast. It only flooded my business for 2 hours so I should be able to vaccuum it all out..."

Seriously..... its not huge cause the water is already going down?? How long did you expect it to stay there??? A couple months or what? This is normal for any flood. I'm sure if it rains as much as its forecasted then there will be more flooding.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
This isn't an extremely huge flood??? Water reached its second highest level ever and its wasn't that huge of a flood?? Ask the owners of the businesses hit... I doubt they will say, "mmmm it wasn't that huge of a flood, I mean the water got extremely high then fell fast. It only flooded my business for 2 hours so I should be able to vaccuum it all out..."

Seriously..... its not huge cause the water is already going down?? How long did you expect it to stay there??? A couple months or what? This is normal for any flood. I'm sure if it rains as much as its forecasted then there will be more flooding.

In terms of overall business damage and how long it lasted, no it's not.

There have been more damaging floods than this one. I'm not saying it hasn't been big, but Ames is a lot more prepared this time around.

ultracreative

Sep 8, 2006
On a very good source, I'm hearing that the owners of O'Malley & MeGees are tired of recovering from the flooding time and time again. They've been putting up with the Skunk for almost 30 years now.

Looks like they are closing their doors for good.

Sad, I had a lot of good memories there.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
In terms of overall business damage and how long it lasted, no it's not.

There have been more damaging floods than this one. I'm not saying it hasn't been big, but Ames is a lot more prepared this time around.

It doesn't matter if water entered 3 seconds or 1 day. Damage is done.... Specially carpet and stuff like that. Plus, some of these businesses will be without power for a day or two... Things don't stay fresh forever.

Prepared??? I don't think anyone was prepared for how fast it came up today. Otherwise you would of seen every business with sandbags. Funny thing... I didn't see that when I drove through town when they closed Duff...

Also, part of the reason it doesn't hurt as much as it did in the past is because of all the precautionary work they did following the 93 floods including redoing roads and building up levees

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
On a very good source, I'm hearing that the owners of O'Malley & MeGees are tired of recovering from the flooding time and time again. They've been putting up with the Skunk for almost 30 years now.

Looks like they are closing their doors for good.

Sad, I had a lot of good memories there.

Thats sad... Makes me wonder about a place like the Fox 1 Lounge, the bowling alley, George's, and maybe even a Happy Joes.

All great places that could be washed up... Sorry couldn't think of a better term.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
It doesn't matter if water entered 3 seconds or 1 day. Damage is done.... Specially carpet and stuff like that. Plus, some of these businesses will be without power for a day or two... Things don't stay fresh forever.

Prepared??? I don't think anyone was prepared for how fast it came up today. Otherwise you would of seen every business with sandbags. Funny thing... I didn't see that when I drove through town when they closed Duff...

Also, part of the reason it doesn't hurt as much as it did in the past is because of all the precautionary work they did following the 93 floods including redoing roads and building up levees

Which is exactly my point. Again, there is not nearly as much damage this time around as there has been.

I'm not minimizing the damage done by the flood - and I realize that the waters were high. But the fact is, taking into account the precautionary measures that were taken post '93, as well as the fact that damage was luckily held to a minimum, this flood was not huge.

It was big - I was trapped in UV all day because all but 24th street were cut off (and south Duff), so I realize it wasn't just a little water over the road.

Help Support Us

Become a patron