Five questions (Cyclones, Big 12) w/ an Athlon editor

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Expectations are insane around here. 4-8 would be a tremendous accomplishment this year. Look at the schedule guys, look what we have back, look at the gaping holes at several positions. If 4 wins gets pr fired it's going to be a loooooong year on cf. this is a throw away year and people need to prepare themselves for that.

This far into your tenure, issues with returning talent and holes are not acceptable excuses.

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014
This far into your tenure, issues with returning talent and holes are not acceptable excuses.

True, but this is isu. Very, very difficult to win here. It's as tough to win here as when the old man turned k state around.

And that's the kinda dynamic coach it would take to turn isu into a winner. There are very few coaches that can turn isu into a winner.

Love Paul, but he ain't the guy.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Expectations are insane around here. 4-8 would be a tremendous accomplishment this year. Look at the schedule guys, look what we have back, look at the gaping holes at several positions. If 4 wins gets pr fired it's going to be a loooooong year on cf. this is a throw away year and people need to prepare themselves for that.
Honestly minus Baylor and OU, which both lost a lot from year too, the Big 12 could be very down this year. Blum made some great points on Miller and Brinson today. KU is just horrid and that offense may struggle getting 10 point a game. WV is just a disaster and now their starting running back is in jail and may have to be expidited to Deleware. Texas Tech, who knows, lost all but 1 or 2 guys on defense, lost 2 quarterbacks and the best TE in the country and just imploded the second half of last season. Texas is loaded with talent but our worst team since Chizik had that game stolen from them, Ash is their best qb but does he even make through camp without injury. TCU is about as bad of a mess as WV, lost a lot of talent on defense and starting a quarterback who has done nothing but be a backup. KSU I think has potential but lost several players on defense and Hubert and Thompson on offense plus we play them early. Okie State should be ok and loaded with senior leadership. So we could finish from 4-8 in my opinion, it's wide open.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Honestly minus Baylor and OU, which both lost a lot from year too, the Big 12 could be very down this year. Blum made some great points on Miller and Brinson today. KU is just horrid and that offense may struggle getting 10 point a game. WV is just a disaster and now their starting running back is in jail and may have to be expidited to Deleware. Texas Tech, who knows, lost all but 1 or 2 guys on defense, lost 2 quarterbacks and the best TE in the country and just imploded the second half of last season. Texas is loaded with talent but our worst team since Chizik had that game stolen from them, Ash is their best qb but does he even make through camp without injury. TCU is about as bad of a mess as WV, lost a lot of talent on defense and starting a quarterback who has done nothing but be a backup. KSU I think has potential but lost several players on defense and Hubert and Thompson on offense plus we play them early. Okie State should be ok and loaded with senior leadership. So we could finish from 4-8 in my opinion, it's wide open.

OSU ongoing investigation may remove a bowl chance for them...we will see.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Umm, you do realize this is part of a coaches job to avoid this? There is no throw away year for a coach in is 6th year who just came of a terrible season the year before.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
True, but this is isu. Very, very difficult to win here. It's as tough to win here as when the old man turned k state around.

And that's the kinda dynamic coach it would take to turn isu into a winner. There are very few coaches that can turn isu into a winner.

Love Paul, but he ain't the guy.

CPR has had success here, and is the most successful coach in his 1st 4 years of anyone in ISU's history. He had a ****** coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball, multiple injuries, a rebuilding year all around, and 1 bad year shows that he isn't the guy. I don't care who you do and who you don't support. but you are a ******* anyway you slice it.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Umm, you do realize this is part of a coaches job to avoid this? There is no throw away year for a coach in is 6th year who just came of a terrible season the year before.

Terrible seasons at ISU are 2-10, 3-9, 1-11, not 6-7. Get a grip.

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014
CPR has had success here, and is the most successful coach in his 1st 4 years of anyone in ISU's history. He had a ****** coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball, multiple injuries, a rebuilding year all around, and 1 bad year shows that he isn't the guy. I don't care who you do and who you don't support. but you are a ******* anyway you slice it.

Good post till you started name calling.

If I am not mistaken, last year was the first year that CPR had a team that was fully made up of the players that were solely recruited by his staff and not Chizek's. The result? A horrible season where they were not close to being competitive with the cream of the Big 12 teams.

You mentioned he had a bad coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. Who hired that staff? I thought that was the coach's responsibility as well.

I like Paul, but it will take a super coach to turn isu into a winning program. Kinda like Bill Snyder or that one guy before Chip in Oregon. They both turned those programs into winners.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010

So basically what you're saying is the Big12 really isn't that good. Couple teams at the top, few mid tiers and then the rest. Funny b/c everyone else on here seems to think the Big12 is the SEC.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

If I am not mistaken, last year was the first year that CPR had a team that was fully made up of the players that were solely recruited by his staff and not Chizek's. The result? A horrible season where they were not close to being competitive with the cream of the Big 12 teams.

You mentioned he had a bad coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. Who hired that staff? I thought that was the coach's responsibility as well.

I like Paul, but it will take a super coach to turn isu into a winning program. Kinda like Bill Snyder or that one guy before Chip in Oregon. They both turned those programs into winners.
Can't argue with this. Everything said is accurate.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
So basically what you're saying is the Big12 really isn't that good. Couple teams at the top, few mid tiers and then the rest. Funny b/c everyone else on here seems to think the Big12 is the SEC.
I don't understand why so many thought it was so tough last year. Might have been mostly because of how much we struggled, but Kansas, us, WVU, and TCU were awful while Tech was very mediocre at best. That right there is half the conference.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

What does that matter? He has out recruited Chizik's 2 classes almost every single year in Ames.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

Or like Hayden Fry who turned around that crappy Iowa program.

BlackHawk

Sep 30, 2010
I don't understand why so many thought it was so tough last year. Might have been mostly because of how much we struggled, but Kansas, us, WVU, and TCU were awful while Tech was very mediocre at best. That right there is half the conference.

Wait, did I read that right? Appreciate the level-headed reply. I felt the same way about our Bball schedule the last few years. Yeah we played some good teams, but man the schedule wasn't that bad. It was Iowa sucking something fierce.

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014
Or like Hayden Fry who turned around that crappy Iowa program.

Fair point, yeah, but I don't put Hayden in Bill Snyder's league or that guy that was at Oregon. I wouldn't call Hayden a dynamic coach, even though I really liked him.