CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Would appreciate suggestions for any fitness locations in Ames (preferably East Ames) in which I can work out 3-5 times per week, workout on my own, no classes, no pool, no sauna, just basics, month-to-month membership.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
East Ames has Ames fitness center but it is expensive compared to an anytime or planet. I’ve been going as a guest to planet fitness and it pretty much checks your boxes listed. They even have a basic membership that excludes spa and classes

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Ames fitness center is run by shysters with predatory business practices and expensive.

Planet fitness is cheap but they don't have much for free weights.

Ames community center (at City Hall) is cramped, but is the cheapest option and has everything you need.

There is also anytime, which I am unfamiliar with

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
There is still one other option that I personally am considering because it’s the only racquetball court in town.
Isu alumni membership coupled with a gym membership. I think it would be around $600 for the year.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Planet Fitness! I certainly works for me. The price is right it has more equipment than I will ever use. My advice is to walk in and ask for a tour. It won't take you but 15 minutes to see if it will work for you.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Planet Fitness! I certainly works for me. The price is right it has more equipment than I will ever use. My advice is to walk in and ask for a tour. It won't take you but 15 minutes to see if it will work for you.

Thanks for this suggestion. I joined yesterday.