Fitness Clubs

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Ok... Looking for some place to go either in Des Moines or Ames.. What do you guys recommend?

I'm not completely out of shape.. I bike a lot in the summer but need something different then sitting on a trainer in my basement.

Cost is kinda a factor...

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
My wife and I have been with Ames Racquet and Fitness for alittle over a year now and we love it. You can make it whatever you want it to be - personal training, fitness classses, aqua, weight lifting, cardio, etc. The staff is really solid, at least at the North location where we go. We signed a 2 year committment and paid up front and it shook out to about $20/month for each of us

Reactions: Cyched

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'll second ARFC. Great environment, plenty of machines, weights, etc. and a wide offering of classes if that's your thing. Not many other places are going to match the value you get there.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'll second ARFC. Great environment, plenty of machines, weights, etc. and a wide offering of classes if that's your thing. Not many other places are going to match the value you get there.
Are classes part of the membership then and not extra?? That's the problem with some places in Des Moines.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm not sure but if you have an alumni membership, you can get into state gym and rec center for basically a 2 bucks a day. Don't know the details but my niece does it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My wife and I have been with Ames Racquet and Fitness for alittle over a year now and we love it.
Wife and I have been going to their sister company Fitness World in Ankeny for a few years now. Love both locations, now adding a third. Great staff, and they continually re invest into equipment.
Are classes part of the membership then and not extra?? That's the problem with some places in Des Moines.

My wife does quite a few free classes. Yoga, power lifting, the drum stick exercise class.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Wife and I have been going to their sister company Fitness World in Ankeny for a few years now. Love both locations, now adding a third. Great staff, and they continually re invest into equipment.

My wife does quite a few free classes. Yoga, power lifting, the drum stick exercise class.

My wife goes there as well. I go to their West Des Moines location.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Aspen is down to $9 a month now that the fancy new "see and be seen" gym opened up a mile away.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Aspen is down to $9 a month now that the fancy new "see and be seen" gym opened up a mile away.

Check the fine print on that $9/month rate. It's a minimum three month commitment, plus there's a $79 "joining fee". And after ninety days there's another $39 tacked on as a regular maintenance fee. They're going to go the way of Seven Flags soon.

• Dislike
Reactions: bellzisu

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
I'm going to be in Des Moines for the summer and am looking for a gym. Does anyone know of a gym in the metro area that A.) doesnt require a long-term commitment (only going to be there ~10 weeks) and B.) allows the use of chalk?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'm going to be in Des Moines for the summer and am looking for a gym. Does anyone know of a gym in the metro area that A.) doesnt require a long-term commitment (only going to be there ~10 weeks) and B.) allows the use of chalk?
I know Fitness World has no chalk signs everywhere in the North Ankeny weight room, I imagine the rest of their places probably do too.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I know Fitness World has no chalk signs everywhere in the North Ankeny weight room, I imagine the rest of their places probably do too.

You said they're the sister company for ARFC; do you know if there's a way to transfer membership? I'm moving to Ankeny in about a month and was curious.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
You said they're the sister company for ARFC; do you know if there's a way to transfer membership? I'm moving to Ankeny in about a month and was curious.

They used to do it. Not an actual transfer because they are separate businesses. But similar ownership. So you should be able to sign up at FWW without a joining fee.

• Useful
Reactions: Cyched

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I joined Planet Fitness about 2 years ago. Laugh all you want, but I've spent about $250 over two years.

Help Support Us

Become a patron