First car/truck/van that you ever bought.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
My first car was a 1983 Mercury Lynx that had been salvaged from an auto accident and repaired. It was a mostly tan car, but faded from "glossy" tan to dull tan (cheap repair paint job) from front to back. I bought it when I was a junior in high school with the money I received for attending basic training for the Army during the summer. I think that it had 100,000+ miles on it when I bought it.

Not exactly a babe magnet. I didn't date much in high school ... :wink:

1982MercuryLynx.jpg

Nice Lynx!

My first car was a 1986 Buick Century Estate Wagon (w/ flip up rear facing 3rd row), affectionately known as the shaggin wagon. I had a mini disco ball that hung in the back.

The first car I purchased was a 1984 Mercury Lynx for $200 during my freshman year at ISU. It was a piece, but it got me around for a year. I fixed it up that summer and sold it for $650 in Minnesota!

aerosill

Apr 10, 2006
Fresno, CA
First car - 1965 Mustang coupe. 289, red, black pony interior. My dad bought it when I was 14 so it would be paid off when I turned 16. He bought it from a guy in Urbandale that restored Mustangs on the side (he was a Ford mechanic) - I think mine was his 103rd.

Recently sold it, to make room for my dad's 1967 convertible (also 289, originally lime gold, then acapulco blue, now candyapple red, with parchment interior and white top). The 65 went to a father who will restore it with his daughter, then it will be her first car.

First car I bought - 1990 Ford Probe (when the Mustang started needing a lot of work). Sold that to buy my 1997 Jeep, which I still have.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
First car - 1965 Mustang coupe. 289, red, black pony interior. My dad bought it when I was 14 so it would be paid off when I turned 16. He bought it from a guy in Urbandale that restored Mustangs on the side (he was a Ford mechanic) - I think mine was his 103rd.

Recently sold it, to make room for my dad's 1967 convertible (also 289, originally lime gold, then acapulco blue, now candyapple red, with parchment interior and white top). The 65 went to a father who will restore it with his daughter, then it will be her first car.

First car I bought - 1990 Ford Probe (when the Mustang started needing a lot of work). Sold that to buy my 1997 Jeep, which I still have.

NICE! Classic! I might be a Camaro guy and I know theres a big rivalry there between the Mustang fans, but I've got major respect for any good american muscle car.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
1982 Camaro Berlinetta. At the time I thought it was a cool car which I blew all my money that I had saved since the beginning of time ($2800) in 1990 at age of 15. Since I wasn't 16 I could only sit it and listen to the stereo that I had jacked in another $600 (that was a lot back then).

Although it served it's purpose and was a great HS car, I learned the quality of the Camaro was poor and wouldn't recommend the Camaro model to anyone. It was cool at the time however... even had the senior pictures taken with it in the background (I think that was normal).

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
NICE! Classic! I might be a Camaro guy and I know theres a big rivalry there between the Mustang fans, but I've got major respect for any good american muscle car.

I wrote my post the same time you wrote yours... noticed right after posting that you like Camaros.

I really thought it was a "cheaply" made car.... did I get a lemon? Did you think the quality was good? Again, the car was cool at the time, just thinking back it seemed so cheaply made.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
I wrote my post the same time you wrote yours... noticed right after posting that you like Camaros.

I really thought it was a "cheaply" made car.... did I get a lemon? Did you think the quality was good? Again, the car was cool at the time, just thinking back it seemed so cheaply made.

Man, you had the Berlinetta which was pretty luxurious for it's time...did it have 4, 6 or 8 cylinders? How many miles where on it when you got it, you might have gotten a lemon if you think it was that bad.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
It had around 75,000 when I bought it and I drove it to about 95,000 over the course of 4 years. I think the engine was 2.8L V6 with automatic transmission. It started to rust after about 2 years, shifted rough, and seemed to have a lot of road noise.

My luck... bought a lemon.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
My dad got an 87 IROC-Z28 Camaro brand new when he turned 16, 350 block, 5.7 L V8 carburated.

It was the original red with gold decals and black hood vents, convertible with tan interior. He just painted it a nice candy apple red a while ago and gave it new black and red interior and has done all kinds of performance work. Still has it to this day. It's a monster.

Last edited:

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
It had around 75,000 when I bought it and I drove it to about 95,000 over the course of 4 years. I think the engine was 2.8L V6 with automatic transmission. It started to rust after about 2 years, shifted rough, and seemed to have a lot of road noise.

My luck... bought a lemon.

Ouch. With that many miles on it, what year did you buy it in? If you bought it anywhere from 1985-1989 thats too much work put on that engine in that time, especially with the automatic transmissions.

Yea the Camaros always have had problems with rust, a lot of winter or country driving?

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I sold the car for an even $1000 bucks four years later to the first guy that looked at it. I had it listed for $1500 and the guy had 10 one hundred dollar bills. It was back at my parents who I was visiting over the weekend while living in Ames going to college. I thought... $1000 bucks cash (had bought another car)... didn't think twice. The guy seemed happy and I had cash in hand.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
You got a steal back then for how bad you make your car sound.

Then again sadly, the 82 Berlinettas WERE aimed to appeal to women...I always thought they might have given up some quality on them seeing as how most women never give their car the attention it needs performance-wise.

Most Camaros are top-of-the-line as far as reliability.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Ouch. With that many miles on it, what year did you buy it in? If you bought it anywhere from 1985-1989 thats too much work put on that engine in that time, especially with the automatic transmissions.

Yea the Camaros always have had problems with rust, a lot of winter or country driving?

I bought it in 1990. So about 8 years old when purchased. I think back then that was probably higher than average miles. I also did most my own work on the car.

I stored my first couple years during the winters but then drove the last two winters in the winter. It sat outside 100% time if not in storage. I did wash and wax it like it was gold...

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
You got a steal back then for how bad you make your car sound.

Then again sadly, the 82 Berlinettas WERE aimed to appeal to women...I always thought they might have given up some quality on them seeing as how most women never give their car the attention it needs performance-wise.

Most Camaros are top-of-the-line as far as reliability.

That's funny that it was targeted to women... that might explain it. I took good care of the care maintenance wise but it did sit in the weather and was tested at times on the road. Maybe thinking back I was just critical of a $2800 / 8 year old car. Just thinking of it brings back some good HS times. For that it was a great purchase.

Howie3310

Mar 10, 2007
That's funny that it was targeted to women... that might explain it. I took good care of the care maintenance wise but it did sit in the weather and was tested at times on the road. Maybe thinking back I was just critical of a $2800 / 8 year old car. Just thinking of it brings back some good HS times. For that it was a great purchase.

Yep, most people think of Camaros as HS cars, and they usually are just that, but they sure are fun to drive at any age, especially if it's a V8

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
ah yes....'66 Chevy Impala SS with 4 on the floor. Painted plum crazy purple with no grill. One of the ugliest cars you'll ever see but that thing could run. The only other car I had that could outdo it...
80' Z-28 with air induction. I miss THAT car!

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
First car was a Chrysler Lebaron from my parents. I don't remember the year now...somewhere from '93 to '95. That thing was a piece of crap.

My current car is the first one I bought myself--'03 Honda Accord.

cycloneace55

Nov 22, 2006
Gardena, CA
The first car I drove was a 1980 Pontiac Grand LeMans Safari Edition Station Wagon. It had a small block V-8 and no weight in the back. (rear wheel drive) That car was really fun in the snow.

The first car that was in my name was a 1989 Honda Civic LX with a 5-speed. That car was indestructible and I got it cheap off my folks after college. I drove the poop out of that thing before I sold it.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
1968 Buick Skylark back in '83. Car got about 10 mpg and we had to add a quart of oil every month. When it was really cold, the defroster would pull in any snow below the windshield so that it would be snowing inside the car.

After that was the Mercury Monterrey, not sure what year that was. The hood was about six feet long--made my subsequent car, a Gran Prix, seem small.

After that, was the glamourous Pontiac 6000. Then a 1997 Geo Metro, and finally 97 Honda Accord--the first car I needed to take out a loan to buy.