Firing Messingham mid season would light a spark on this team

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Totally Disagree. Sturdy should be auditioning, and has been on OC before. This team deserves better.

Sturdy should be interim OC starting tomorrow, but he should not be our OC going in to next year IMO. We need something much better.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
There really anything more that needs to be said at this point. We have the worst offense in the BCS that I have seen after watching probably 50 games on TV this year. The performance, week after week, just speaks for itself.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Anyone who is suggesting promoting one of our coaches to OC has never set foot on a football field. ALL of the coaches collaboratively discuss the play calls. What do you think they do during the games?

I set myself on the field in Ames Crackerjack. I'm not talking about permanently promoting Sturdy or Klenakis. I'm talking about salvaging a couple wins this season before we hire a new OC next year. Jesus.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I set myself on the field in Ames Crackerjack. I'm not talking about permanently promoting Sturdy or Klenakis. I'm talking about salvaging a couple wins this season before we hire a new OC next year. Jesus.
Which is just plain stupid in the first place.

First scapegoat, now sacrificial lamb. You geniuses need to make up your mind which is which.

And UNIguy4Cy needs to just stop posting all of this negative garbage!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I don't know that firing Mess fixes the biggest problem with this offense: consistency from the person taking snaps. Until we have Big 12 level quarterbacks we will not have a good offense. It's that simple.
Fire the slug and find out. What doi we have to lose but more games

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Fire the slug and find out. What doi we have to lose but more games
Credibility. I guess that's rocket science for some people to figure out, though.

I'm trying to figure out the point of the OP. How does firing a coach that the PLAYERS all clearly like and respect "light a fire under the team"? Hello?

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN
Which is just plain stupid in the first place.

First scapegoat, now sacrificial lamb. You geniuses need to make up your mind which is which.

And UNIguy4Cy needs to just stop posting all of this negative garbage!

Stupid? Go ask the offensive players how their morale is with Mess at the helm. Demote him, send a message now to recruits. It cannot get any worse.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
For one, I always respect a leader that takes me to horrible results.
Mess isn't the only problem on offense, but he is one that can be replaced, and needs to be.
If we go the "stay the course" route, that commercial I just heard about "no one can go it alone" will be tested by anyone in the stadium.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Credibility. I guess that's rocket science for some people to figure out, though.

I'm trying to figure out the point of the OP. How does firing a coach that the PLAYERS all clearly like and respect "light a fire under the team"? Hello?[/QUOTE

I appreciate what you are saying here, but the players don't all respect Mess, that's just not accurate.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I seemed to remember the players (woody and barnett were interviewed) raving about mess when he took over as OC.

I understand they should have been positive and not downers, but they were going above and beyond that with their comments.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I bet Mess will be back next year, he and Coach Passion are buddies, but anyway injuries and not catching the ******* ball and our qb's are just very inconsistent.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Tell me where.

Did Mess just drop a well delivered pass on 1st down that should've been 2nd and 3 instead of 2nd and 10?

Did Mess drop the pass from Richardson in the first quarter?

Did Mess drop the other 7 passes we've dropped this game?

Did Mess throw bounce passes to the receivers?

Did Mess overthrow a wide-open Coleman which turned into a pick?

Big 12 teams make those plays. Rohach and Richardson weren't highly sought after for a reason by other schools. Our coaching staff recruited them and failed miserably.

Should Mess be fired on the basis of bad play calling? No. Play calling has been perfectly fine. Should Mess be fired on the basis of recruiting and QB development? If he didn't recruit the QB I don't know but on the QB development yes.

Unfortunately we also have a depth problem. We have an injured QB and a backup playing currently. We have a patchwork offensive line (which is why Klenakis shouldn't be on any sort of hot seat). Based on the number of knee injuries we've had Yancy should be feeling some heat because it seems a training problem. Right now we have zero margin for error. Things like false starts/dropped passes/etc. hurt even more. Than normal. A lot of that is out of Mess' control and anyone who can't see that is ignoring reality.

Texas/Oklahoma/etc. can afford to have a couple players go down because they have talent to replace it. We have to turn around and count on guys who aren't ready yet for the Big 12.

First off, sorry for the post, it was in poor taste, I deleted it. I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but I don't believe the reason for those issues are player quality, I believe it is a function of coaching and development.

Need an example? Look at Bundrage. Obviously he is a talented guy, I don't think anyone can deny that. Is he getting better? I don't think you could say that.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
First off, sorry for the post, it was in poor taste, I deleted it. I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but I don't believe the reason for those issues are player quality, I believe it is a function of coaching and development.

Need an example? Look at Bundrage. Obviously he is a talented guy, I don't think anyone can deny that. Is he getting better? I don't think you could say that.

Bundrage can't get better when the other team knows he's the only threat and takes him out of the equation. I realize you were talking coaching dev. just sucks.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Anyone who is suggesting promoting one of our coaches to OC has never set foot on a football field. ALL of the coaches collaboratively discuss the play calls. What do you think they do during the games?

Maybe you can elaborate on how 3 (or more?) coaches collaborate on each play when the call goes in almost immediately? Does Mess call 1 play then they start discussing over the headsets - K - what do you think? K says maybe if we do "x" but maybe S has some input. S asks if the safeties have been rolling up..... BUT BY THEN THE FLAG HAS BEEN THROWN FOR DELAY OF GAME.

MAYBE they collaborate on the overall game plan but would HIGHLY doubt the "collaboratively discuss the play calls" is what happens.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron