Fill your growler at the grocery store

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
$10 on Mondays. I'm in. By the way it's Hy Five now.

Just so we're clear...you realize that's $10 for less than a 6 pack, right? At some point y'all will start to realize that just because it's more expensive, doesn't mean it's better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not busting on craft beers, I love the movement and I used to homebrew, but I think it's jumped the shark a bit on pricing.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
Just so we're clear...you realize that's $10 for less than a 6 pack, right? At some point y'all will start to realize that just because it's more expensive, doesn't mean it's better. Don't get me wrong, I'm not busting on craft beers, I love the movement and I used to homebrew, but I think it's jumped the shark a bit on pricing.
I think it's worth it. I havnt drank a bud light or mainstream beer in a longgggggg time. Only craft brew for me.

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
This also allows local breweries to bring in seasonal stuff to stores quicker without having to bottle them

Last edited:

ClonesTwentyOne

Feb 10, 2014
DSM Area
$10 for a sixer of craft beer is expensive. Growlers are pointless when you can buy that same beer in a sixer.
Not all local breweries have six packs in stores. Some don't bottle seasonal stuff either. This gives them an opportunity to get in stores and expand

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Not all local breweries have six packs in stores. Some don't bottle seasonal stuff either. This gives them an opportunity to get in stores and expand

I agree and that part is great. Just pointing out that if you can get the same beer in a sixer, thats better then paying $10 for a growler.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I think it's worth it. I havnt drank a bud light or mainstream beer in a longgggggg time. Only craft brew for me.

Except...you're basing your value on what you like, not what it really costs. I could make homebrew in about the most expensive fashion (small batch sizes, extract rather than all grain, etc) and make about any standard beer, aside from imperials or something with a ridiculous hop bill for basically bud light pricing (admittedly, that didn't include labor, profit or taxes). So, if you figure the profits and taxes are offset by the economies of scale that a brewer would have over me...the price rise in craft beer is not attributed to the cost to produce it, they're raising prices simply because demand supports it. And that's when I opt out.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
People seem to forget that they often pay $10 for a 16oz can of Bud at a sporting event or $6 for a pint of Miller Lite at the bar. I have no problem paying for quality. People also forget that many times you're getting double the amount of alcohol.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
$10 for a sixer of craft beer is expensive. Growlers are pointless when you can buy that same beer in a sixer.

But you can't buy that same beer in a sixer in a lot of cases.

Here are the Des Moines area breweries:
515, Madhouse, New American, Firetrucker, Exile, Flix, Cabco, Rock Bottom, Confluence.

Out of that Madhouse and Exile have sixers, New American does like 22ozers, does anyone else bottle?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I'm excited for this mainly because some styles of beer taste way better from a keg than a bottle. Prime example for me is Bent River's Uncommon Stout, great if you can find it on tap but it's been terrible every time I've picked up a six pack.

If you're a fan of crushing Bud Light 6 days out of the week then this isn't probably for you. I drink maybe once or twice a month, so for me I don't mind spending a little extra for something of higher quality.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Has anyone else seen the 'growlers' available at HyVee? They are laughable in size. I haven't checked, but I assume that the growler 'filling station' in my local store is the bar inside the 'Market Cafe' where they have all of six products on tap (I think one is industrial like Bud, and at least two are Iowa Beers - one being Blonde Fatale from Peacetree).

Last edited:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I think there are plans to add growler stations to the actual Class C liquor stores at some point.

Confusingly enough, the market Grill/Cafe places will also fill growlers (32 or 64 oz I think...though not sure) and could even before the law change.