Misc: FIFA exco-member claims 2022 World Cup won't be in Qatar

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
In his opinion. Hope it's true but there's a lot of money floating around that could keep it there.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
That's what I was wondering....only thing nice for the US is stadium-wise we could host on short notice. Multiple new and impressive venues around the country. Obviously, there is a ton of logistics that would be have to be figured out as well.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That's what I was wondering....only thing nice for the US is stadium-wise we could host on short notice. Multiple new and impressive venues around the country. Obviously, there is a ton of logistics that would be have to be figured out as well.
Yeah as far as stadiums go we'd be pretty well off for hosting, I bet we have close to 20 stadiums that could seat 75,000+ for a soccer match.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yeah as far as stadiums go we'd be pretty well off for hosting, I bet we have close to 20 stadiums that could seat 75,000+ for a soccer match.

Only if you're willing to settle for college stadiums. Currently only 13 NFL stadiums seat 75k+ (if you count SROs - otherwise it's only 7):

AT&T Stadium (Dallas)
FedEx Field (Washington)
MetLife Stadium (New York)
Lambeau Field (Green Bay)
Sun Life Stadium (Miami)
U of Phoenix Stadium (Phoenix)
Sports Authority Field (Denver)
EverBank Field (Jacksonville)
Superdome (New Orleans)
Arrowhead Stadium (Kansas City)
Georgiadome (Atlanta)
Levi's Stadium (San Francisco)
Raymond James Stadium (Tampa Bay)

Throw in CenturyLink Field because you can't leave Seattle out of this, Soldier Field for Chicago, and LA Coliseum or Rose Bowl for LA, and you have a well-rounded American stadium situation. And you can also add in Michigan and Ohio Stadiums...

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Only if you're willing to settle for college stadiums. Currently only 13 NFL stadiums seat 75k+ (if you count SROs - otherwise it's only 7):

AT&T Stadium (Dallas)
FedEx Field (Washington)
Sun Life Stadium (Miami)
Superdome (New Orleans)
Georgiadome (Atlanta)

Throw in CenturyLink Field because you can't leave Seattle out of this, Soldier Field for Chicago, and LA Coliseum or Rose Bowl for LA, and you have a well-rounded American stadium situation. And you can also add in Michigan and Ohio Stadiums...
That's like 16 stadiums and there's a few more that are just short of 75,000, that'd be plenty, although I don't know if somewhere like Lambeau or The Superdome could even fit a soccer field? Most new ones tend to be built to accommodate them.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I'd kill to watch a FIFA WC match in Chicago. The town would go nuts.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Brazil had 12 host cities, so for discussion's sake, I'll keep the choices around there

Must have locations:

Dallas - no way we don't showcase that stadium and it can get to 100k
New York - no brainers, it's our showcase city for the country
Los Angeles - not sure which stadium gets to host, but again....huge media market
Seattle- seems to be the biggest soccer town in the country

Possible locations:

Minneapolis - New stadium
Denver - geographically makes sense and high capacity stadium
Miami
Chicago - obviously use the renovated Soldier Field
Washington DC

Would be fun, but not sure it'd happen:

Kansas City - obviously have to use Arrowhead
Portland
Indianapolis
San Francisco

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

AT&T Stadium (Dallas)
FedEx Field (Washington)
Sun Life Stadium (Miami)
Superdome (New Orleans)
Georgiadome (Atlanta)

I don't think they'd go to Lambeau....seems like the city would be too small. Also, I don't think the Georgiadome will exist in 2022. They're tearing it down here in the next year or so.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Brazil had 12 host cities, so for discussion's sake, I'll keep the choices around there

Must have locations:

Dallas - no way we don't showcase that stadium and it can get to 100k
New York - no brainers, it's our showcase city for the country
Los Angeles - not sure which stadium gets to host, but again....huge media market
Seattle- seems to be the biggest soccer town in the country

Possible locations:

Minneapolis - New stadium
Denver - geographically makes sense and high capacity stadium
Miami
Chicago - obviously use the renovated Soldier Field
Washington DC

Would be fun, but not sure it'd happen:

Kansas City - obviously have to use Arrowhead
Portland
Indianapolis
San Francisco

If 75,000 is indeed a hard and fast number Minneapolis will have a problem. The new stadium is slated to seat 65,000 expandable to 73,000 for things like the Super Bowl. That is maxed out; would not be able to cram another 2,000 in there.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If 75,000 is indeed a hard and fast number Minneapolis will have a problem. The new stadium is slated to seat 65,000 expandable to 73,000 for things like the Super Bowl. That is maxed out; would not be able to cram another 2,000 in there.

Ahh wasn't sure the criteria. I just know its not your cookie cutter stadium and would be a good one to showcase.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I this a requirement?
No it was just a number I made up, a stadium in a good city that seats 50k would probably be a better pick than a bigger stadium in a crappy city. Brazil had some that were in the 40-50k range and a few that were 60-75k+.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
Another thing to consider would be artificial turf versus grass. I believe AT&T Stadium has artificial turf, correct? I think the MLS is the only league that plays on artificial turf. I imagine the soccer world would go nuts is the World Cup was going to be played on anything other than grass. Maybe I'm wrong and someone who knows more can correct me.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
No it was just a number I made up, a stadium in a good city that seats 50k would probably be a better pick than a bigger stadium in a crappy city. Brazil had some that were in the 40-50k range and a few that were 60-75k+.
That's what I thought, people started throwing around stadium numbers and I was like umm... We have so many venues it is ridiculous.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That's what I thought, people started throwing around stadium numbers and I was like umm... We have so many venues it is ridiculous.
You'd want several of the very large venues for sure though.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Another thing to consider would be artificial turf versus grass. I believe AT&T Stadium has artificial turf, correct? I think the MLS is the only league that plays on artificial turf. I imagine the soccer world would go nuts is the World Cup was going to be played on anything other than grass. Maybe I'm wrong and someone who knows more can correct me.
Pretty sure they brought in grass for champions league final. Is it ideal, no. Could they do better in 7+ years, yes.

diplomaCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 7, 2012
Brazil
Only two or three of the stadiums for this year's World Cup had more than 50,000 seats, and the biggest was right around 75k. And yes, the grass is a huge deal and a must-have, but I'm sure they could lay a temporary field.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Only two or three of the stadiums for this year's World Cup had more than 50,000 seats, and the biggest was right around 75k. And yes, the grass is a huge deal and a must-have, but I'm sure they could lay a temporary field.

All that glass in the Vikings stadium would come in handy if they drop real turf on the field...