FERGUSON: Joens' return sets sky-high expectations for Iowa State in 2022-23 season

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Wow! Most sensible post yet! And yes it would be nice to have that Angie Welle like post. But it has to be someone with the right personality that will not ruin the chemistry this team has! One bad apple...
The only problem with having and Angie Welle is that we have not had an AW since AW. She ran the floor and made post moves that we have not had since she left. Our posts need to be able to run and when you get into the 6'5"-6'6" most of them can't.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I guess there just isn't quite the roster turnover in WBB as there is in MBB and I agree there's limited opportunity to reinvent the wheel here. I just hope it's not another year of complaining when we get out-physicaled. It's time to do something about it in the way we construct our roster.

I would also agree it's time to take a good, long look at where our offense runs through. I think by the end of the year we rightfully figured out Ashley iso-ball can be effective but isn't a long term plan.

I guess I'd say he has been trying to do something about it the past couple years, it just hasn't worked out perfectly. This season they had 4 posts on the roster, which is more than they've had in recent years. Last offseason he went out and got Jordao. A couple years ago, he also got Lindsey Jarosinski in the transfer portal, who fits the size that people describe. Apparently she left the team before playing a game though.

I obviously would like to have a 6'5" athletic post, too, but that's a lot easier said than done. And I do think if the current posts on the roster continue to develop, that could make the team more competitive in that area next year. I also think Diew's development gives the roster more flexibility to play somewhat bigger lineups that don't require Ashley to be defending down low.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think it's tough to say they lost the Sweet 16 game because of lack of variety. They just didn't play their best game and it bit them. That team was 7-0 with six comfortable wins against capable teams that play a similar style. That's just March and Creighton caught lightning in a bottle. Missed opportunity for sure to hang another Elite 8 banner, but yeah like I said it just didn't go their way.

Creighton may have been an imperfect example but so much of the post-game comments on this site by those who followed closely described this team always having a ceiling.

Throughout the year they settled into a pretty predictable pattern of beating teams that allowed us a free-flowing game, and losing (and often time losing pretty big) to teams that were physical with us. I guess the question just becomes what are you doing to fix the issue of our post-season success being seemingly dependent on who we draw. And I say that knowing the ability to fix these types of issues in one post season with a small number of scholarships is probably not viable.

I'd just hate to see another season of lamenting the way the game is being played now by Bill without trying to do something to adjust.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and cyclone13

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think it's tough to say they lost the Sweet 16 game because of lack of variety. They just didn't play their best game and it bit them. That team was 7-0 with six comfortable wins against capable teams that play a similar style. That's just March and Creighton caught lightning in a bottle. Missed opportunity for sure to hang another Elite 8 banner, but yeah like I said it just didn't go their way.
It pains me to think about what could have been having Fritz to put in with Ryan, Donarski, Joens and Diew when Creighton kept burning us on the cuts to the basket. I'm pretty sure Fritz would have defended those cuts much better and might have made them pay with a couple of steals.

Along with seeing Fritz play, I'm most anxious to see what Diew adds to her game this offseason. She may already be the most versatile player on the squad.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It pains me to think about what could have been having Fritz to put in with Ryan, Donarski, Joens and Diew when Creighton kept burning us on the cuts to the basket. I'm pretty sure Fritz would have defended those cuts much better and might have made them pay with a couple of steals.

Along with seeing Fritz play, I'm most anxious to see what Diew adds to her game this offseason. She may already be the most versatile player on the squad.

You may be right, but I find this funny that you've concluded Fritz would have guarded better based on her 24 total minutes of game time.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Disagree. Creighton was more diverse and more disciplined on offense than we were. We have, for a number of reasons, become very predictable and easy to scout - especially if the other team is bigger and/or more athletic than us. Creighton was neither.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You may be right, but I find this funny that you've concluded Fritz would have guarded better based on her 24 total minutes of game time.
I base it on Fennelly's comments about wanting Fritz with him if has to go down a dark alley at night. I'm pretty sure Bill has seen her play more than 24 minutes.

Besides, I doubt she could have defended them much worse.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Our posts don't need to be able to run if you get caught up in slugfests. Slugfests are where ISU gets in trouble with matchups. Clinging to that excuse will also secure our ceiling as a Sweet 16 level program. Adapt to how physical they let teams play or keep making excuses.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I just want a post who can more often than not, make a move by the basket without getting blocked and/or missing. Just using the post at Iowa for example. Seems to be able to get her shot off and finish pretty consistently.

By the way, does Jordao have any eligibility left? And what exactly was Fritz's injury again?

TrulyCyclone

Jul 31, 2021
Some seem to think only Iowa State and Bill Fennelly complain about how Texas plays basketball. Plenty of other coaches have also made fairly strong statements about how Texas' style is dirty. It's not basketball within the rules. I would hate for us to play that way and if the only way to the top is to cheat (play outside the rules and benefit from bad refs) I'm happy as an upper mid tier program with likeable players.

I also recognize the talent disparity between the 1 seeds and Iowa State, so if the options are more McD's AA (a thing we wont get) or play outside the rules, I'm happy where we are. Again, we are Iowa State, I'm a fan of a variety of programs that are good but not great. At least womens basketball let's me see player growth over 4 years.

Elite Eight is special, if we simply played our game (make free throws and just a couple more shots) we would have been there. We didn't. But now we can hope for another great season and fun run next year!

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
I enjoy the comments here, and yes, a bigger post or center would be nice. My much bigger worry next year is pressure. I've written about it before. I hope the fans can back off a bit and let the women play. Our girls were under a LOT of pressure to win; Creighton were on the floor laughing and grinning, just like they did against Iowa. They had nothing to lose and had very little pressure on them. Reading the above, you are already ratcheting up the pressure. Remember, we make our free throws against Creighton and one or two more baskets and we win that game. Nothing strategic. Nothing requiring changes to the nature of the womens' game. Maybe the team needs a sports psychologist more than a bigger post or a center. For me, I am happy to sit back and watch then women play, I thoroughly enjoyed watching them this year, and will do so again next year. They showed character and grit all season long. Oh, and by the way, do you really think Ashely came back just to break a few team records?
You're dang right there's going to be pressure and there should be. You're bringing back the schools all time leading scorer for an unprecedented 5th season and every major contributor. They're going to be ranked top 10. At some point if they want to take the next step they're going to have to deal with the teams like Creighton that have nothing to lose and overcome the pressure because it will never be greater than next year. I don't get the comment about wanting fans to back off a bit. This is Power 5 NCAA Division 1 basketball.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
My much bigger worry next year is pressure. I've written about it before. I hope the fans can back off a bit and let the women play. Our girls were under a LOT of pressure to win; Creighton were on the floor laughing and grinning, just like they did against Iowa. They had nothing to lose and had very little pressure on them. Reading the above, you are already ratcheting up the pressure. Maybe the team needs a sports psychologist more than a bigger post or a center.
That’s a bunch of hooey. Everybody here thoroughly enjoyed watching the team play this year. Top teams will inherently have pressure to deal with and the fans aren’t the source of it.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
You're dang right there's going to be pressure and there should be. You're bringing back the schools all time leading scorer for an unprecedented 5th season and every major contributor. They're going to be ranked top 10. At some point if they want to take the next step they're going to have to deal with the teams like Creighton that have nothing to lose and overcome the pressure because it will never be greater than next year. I don't get the comment about wanting fans to back off a bit. This is Power 5 NCAA Division 1 basketball.
Fans should SUPPORT not come on here and complain about specific players as none of us are on the staff and really know the players. The coaching staffs job is to teach and motivate them to be their best and they don't need us to call players out. My hope is most players stay away from CF so they don't read the comments some make but I am sure parents and friends do so it can get back to them.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I hope we never have a center like tx has. Their coach has not done anything for her long term well being. She was a non issue against the athletes of Stanford.

Reactions: BenEClone

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
We need a little better play at every position to expect to advance further. Posts improved during the year - missed some short shots early against CU which could have changed that game. Cassandra should have everyone a little stronger and faster. Bill can strategize. JP has some off season work to do in the rules and officiating area. And, maybe there is someone in the portal who wants to be part of something great.

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
We need a little better play at every position to expect to advance further. Posts improved during the year - missed some short shots early against CU which could have changed that game. Cassandra should have everyone a little stronger and faster. Bill can strategize. JP has some off season work to do in the rules and officiating area. And, maybe there is someone in the portal who wants to be part of something great.
I agree. So much of the coaching is teaching how our defense works. This is an interesting study, with everyone coming back, where can we go with that extra time that we have never gone before.

If we haven't tried a sports psychologist or hypnotist before, why haven't we? We put pressure on ourselves in the big games. We play hard but our shots stop dropping when we have made those shots so many times before.

Reactions: peatyscotch

Jimr

Dec 7, 2013
Ames
I’m no expert and I appreciate reading all the comments on here but I think we’re missing a couple of important points;
1) experience. The really good teams talk about being able to come back again and again. We have the experience of going to the sweet sixteen now and it will make the ladies less pressured by coming back to the sweet sixteen again. We could have beaten Creighton but we didn’t hit our shots, I’m guessing nerves and experience will allay them
2) luck. We had a pretty good draw this year and hopefully we can have a good draw next year. On to the Championship Cyclones!
3) we have beat Baylor and Texas without a super big in the past. We can do it again next year.