Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
Following what might have been the most hectic off-season in modern history, Bill Fennelly is coming out bold.

His program brought in a highly anticipated, long-committed freshman class to Ames that’s already being treated differently than a normal group alike.

“We’ve got to be careful about what we’re putting in because we’re going to play four freshmen,” Fennelly said.

It of course helps that the class coming into Ames is the highest rated group of prospects Iowa State has ever landed. All four players were ranked in ESPN’s Top 100.

The group, headlined by top-15 star Lexi Donarski, will be relied on like the top recruiting class they are. The expectations of them are sky-high.

“They’re all going to play. I don’t know where, when, or how, but they’re all going to play,” Fennelly said during the program’s media day Zoom on Wednesday. “They all can score. They’re very high basketball IQ people. They’re learning the system. They all have a very...

Continue reading...

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Good article. Hope this group is ready to play! Can't wait to see them hit the court, whether in-person or via the internet. This season has much potential. High expectations are tough, but this group should welcome a challenge.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
From past observations I would guess that around 80% of most freshmen are not all that effective until their sophomore year. But there are some that just hit the floor running and they are dynamite from the get go. That's why it's so interesting to see how fast they develop. And in the case of this class it sounds like Bill is going to give them plenty of opportunities to prove their stuff early on.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
From past observations I would guess that around 80% of most freshmen are not all that effective until their sophomore year. But there are some that just hit the floor running and they are dynamite from the get go. That's why it's so interesting to see how fast they develop. And in the case of this class it sounds like Bill is going to give them plenty of opportunities to prove their stuff early on.

Only eleven gals on the roster so it's not exactly an earth shattering comment that they will all get, or need, to play. People will miss time due to injuries and Covid is going to be a huge wildcard for a short roster. On paper they are all projected to be capable however we aren't going to be seeing three of them on the court at the same time unless we are in a game with a really short bench from injury/illness.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Only eleven gals on the roster so it's not exactly an earth shattering comment that they will all get, or need, to play. People will miss time due to injuries and Covid is going to be a huge wildcard for a short roster. On paper they are all projected to be capable however we aren't going to be seeing three of them on the court at the same time unless we are in a game with a really short bench from injury/illness.
There is no reason to assume at this point that three will not be playing at once in games where the outcome is in doubt.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And, consider that you have the exact team coming back next year, the four freshmen will still be freshmen...but with a season of experience. Pretty tasty Cyclone kool-aid for fans of the ladies.

We will have three seniors eligible to do a 5th year, not sure anyone has any inkling if they will or will not come back at least I haven't heard anything. All three will most assuredly be graduating this school year so who knows. Does present an interesting "What if" scenario.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ticket info yesterday it will certainly be different you can pick 3 games in Dec, 2 Jan, 2 Feb. It will still be fun watching them on whatever version of TV it's on. Oh well it'll be an interesting yr putting the new players in with what we've got coming back.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Ticket info yesterday it will certainly be different you can pick 3 games in Dec, 2 Jan, 2 Feb. It will still be fun watching them on whatever version of TV it's on. Oh well it'll be an interesting yr putting the new players in with what we've got coming back.
If you can pick up an extra ticket for Jan 31 I'll try to come up and take it all in.

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you can pick up an extra ticket for Jan 31 I'll try to come up and take it all in.

Did they limit capacity at Baylor? I checked in on one of the threads and it seemed like the AD was maybe trying to jerk you season ticket holders around a bit.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Did they limit capacity at Baylor? I checked in on one of the threads and it seemed like the AD was maybe trying to jerk you season ticket holders around a bit.
From what I've read on various forums OU, TT, TX & BU are going to allow 25% capacity. This will knock out over half of BU's normal crowd. But the other three would actually add fans if they could get 25% . OU, TX & TT have had extremely small crowds the last few years. They report handsome numbers but go to their games and you'll see what I mean. I have my season tickets purchased. That's still no guarantee. I just read today that Duke will not allow any fans in. Hard to imagine Duke (men) playing in an empty arena.

I'm also not sure what the Biden presidency will do for us WBB fans. His team is talking today about a 6 week total shutdown. That would occur right during the prime time of the season, tournaments and so forth. I sure hope that isn't true.

• Informative

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Covid is always a wild card in everything on a college campus. Players get infected and all of a sudden the entire team has to quarantine for 14 days. That's a bunch of games to reschedule. Not telling if that 6 week lock down would impact athletic events or only attendance. As bad as things are getting in Iowa right now it may be the type of thing that has to happen to get things under control.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I was relieved when I read the actual article. I read the headline as we were going to start four freshmen. That would be rough no matter how talented they are - especially this year.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was relieved when I read the actual article. I read the headline as we were going to start four freshmen. That would be rough no matter how talented they are - especially this year.
We could have the women fab five like the 80s Michigan guys (or was that 90s). We may need to recuit one more freshman if we only have four though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron