Feldman's CFB Top 50 Freaks

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
https://theathletic.com/1065937/201...9-college-football-top-athletic-performances/

41. Will McDonald, Iowa State, linebacker
One of the more coveted prospects Matt Campbell has brought to Ames, the 6-4, 230-pound Wisconsin native has a 6-9 wingspan and a 35-inch vertical jump. The redshirt freshman is expected to be Iowa State’s starting Sam linebacker. He actually played in four games last year as a defensive end before getting a redshirt. In his first career snap vs. TCU, he got up the middle to sack the QB and forced a fumble that led to a touchdown.

In high school, he was all-state in football and basketball, where he averaged 18.3 points and 12.8 rebounds. He actually never played football until his junior year of high school. In track, he won the state discus title with a throw of 179-9 and was third in the high jump with a leap of 6-4. He won the discus while doing it in a pair Chuck Taylors no less.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
https://theathletic.com/1065937/201...9-college-football-top-athletic-performances/

41. Will McDonald, Iowa State, linebacker
One of the more coveted prospects Matt Campbell has brought to Ames, the 6-4, 230-pound Wisconsin native has a 6-9 wingspan and a 35-inch vertical jump. The redshirt freshman is expected to be Iowa State’s starting Sam linebacker. He actually played in four games last year as a defensive end before getting a redshirt. In his first career snap vs. TCU, he got up the middle to sack the QB and forced a fumble that led to a touchdown.

In high school, he was all-state in football and basketball, where he averaged 18.3 points and 12.8 rebounds. He actually never played football until his junior year of high school. In track, he won the state discus title with a throw of 179-9 and was third in the high jump with a leap of 6-4. He won the discus while doing it in a pair Chuck Taylors no less.

I see McDonald as one of the pieces that could help the defense reach its upside potential. Lots of proven talent (especially on the D Line) that will keep the floor VERY high for this defense. If additional guys emerge as difference makers this year (McDonald at LB, the young guys at CB) this could be an elite defense...

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I anticipate he eventually will, but he hasn't even been declared the starter yet! Talk about hype train.

We're certainly loaded at LB so some guys behind him might have something to say too

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm a little surprised that I didn't notice him more last year during his four games. Did he demonstrate this freakishness and I just missed it? Or have they not yet unleashed the beast?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Go to 14:55 of the video below. They also show a replay right after it too.

Granted he's untouched, but the speed he has coming around the corner on that stunt gave the QB no chance. Love it!!

Reactions: CYCLNST8

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I anticipate he eventually will, but he hasn't even been declared the starter yet! Talk about hype train.

We're certainly loaded at LB so some guys behind him might have something to say too

I agree we have to wait and see what he is able to produce in an expanded role... I hope he adds a dimension to the defense, adds another play maker to the rotation this season. But may not happen until next year...

But I don't think that this list is necessarily about guys who will compile the most stats this year... it is who are the most athletically / physically gifted college football players. Which is a bit different.

From the article:

"Since the early 2000s, I’ve spotlighted the biggest Freaks in college football around this time of year. The premise: Showcase guys who generate buzz inside their programs by displaying the type of rare physical abilities that wow even those folks who are used to observing gifted athletes every day."

Reactions: cyhiphopp

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
This whole thing seems strange to me. Our coaching staff are the only ones that have been giving the info about McDonald. He is on list all over the place and has barely played a game. The games he did play he didn't get all that many snaps.

This means the coaching staff is high enough on him that they are promoting him. All of the writers have been told by coaches. None have really said they saw him and he was being a freak...they all said stuff like a little birdie told me. Crazy to think about

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
This whole thing seems strange to me. Our coaching staff are the only ones that have been giving the info about McDonald. He is on list all over the place and has barely played a game. The games he did play he didn't get all that many snaps.

This means the coaching staff is high enough on him that they are promoting him. All of the writers have been told by coaches. None have really said they saw him and he was being a freak...they all said stuff like a little birdie told me. Crazy to think about

They’re not promoting him. They’re setting expectations for him (Will).

• Winner
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Heck, I played High School Basketball in Chuck Taylors (High tops) and was able to secure several rebounds my senior season. So you you can be a freak in them.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sounds like the 2nd coming of Von Miller.;)