Favorite TV Announcers for ISU FB (with Poll)

Favorite Announcer for ISU Football

• Brando/Tillman

• Gus Johnson

• Blum/Sage

• McDonough/Blackledge

• Other

• Brian Custer

• Joe Tessatore

Results are only viewable after voting.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Most of the play by play guys are pretty decent. It is something they have worked on as a career. It seems harder to find a quality analyst. Most are retired players who appear to do very minimal prep for the game. Due to the large number of TV games, I think the overall quality of the analyst is down.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Though they tend to have the douche factor turned up to 11, I think Klatt, Jesse Palmer and Dan Orlovsky are good analysts that do their homework. McElroy is good too, but I'd say he's considerably more vanilla.

McDonough and Blackledge are pros
Brando and Tillman are solid as well.

For some reason I tend not to notice play by play guys much because I'm so focused on the play. They have to suck hard for me to notice. I found that Barrie (?) guy on ESPN that did the Texas game this year quite annoying. Pairing him with the younger Golic was painful.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
OK, so I didn'see "TV" announcer specified (Oops, now I see it in the thread title, but I will still keep my answer!) . Thus, I have to say Pete Taylor and his immortal call of Seneca Wallace and "The Run"! https://www.pinterest.cl/pin/421297740111897629/

Almost as good was his call on Marv Seiler's run against NE. Here is a video where Eric Heft and John Walters remember Pete and you hear that NE call.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

IndyClone15

Jan 28, 2019
Metropolis
Am I the only one who doesn't really care about TV announcers? I'm watching the games for the teams and players on the field and not who is calling the game. Like CBS is paying Tony Romo $10+ million to call NFL games. Are people tuning in just to hear him? I doubt it.

That said, it's impossible to beat a late game Gus-gasm. Give me Gus Johnson all day.
I prefer to call it an or-gus-m

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Who all know who some of the awful ones are.......

but who are the best/most preferred for our football games?

(Poll coming)
I voted Brando and Tillman because they usually always really compliment that gameday atmosphere at the Jack and talk about how great an environment Ames is (and you can tell it's not pandering and they mean it)