Favorite Thanksgiving Foods or Traditions

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
My mom always made a really tasty spinach quiche for Thanksgiving, that has become part of the tradition, in our house. So, for me, spinach is very tied to the holiday.

in before real men don't eat quiche....

By the way I love quiche. Not sure why a real man wouldn't enjoy quiche.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
The subsequent five days of nothing but turkey sandwiches and left over mashed potatoes and green been casserole.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I convinced my family to do steaks one year and brisket another. It was a nice change of pace that everyone enjoyed.

My husband and I hosted Thanksgiving once and got turkey and brisket from Battle's - nobody else but us was a fan, for some reason.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Well, depending on the year, husband and I have 1-4 Thanksgivings to go to. This year is 2. Each one has their own 2-3 things I can't miss.

Maultaschen, stuffing, green bean casserole, creamed corn, sweet potatoes, homemade rolls, my MIL's apple crisp and homemade cheesecake, black raspberry pie, pink fluff salad, strawberry pretzel salad.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I am un-American since I hate both green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. But never fear...my MIL makes a California mix casserole with Velveeta and Ritz crackers, and an absolutely scrumptious chocolate pie.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I am un-American since I hate both green bean casserole and pumpkin pie. But never fear...my MIL makes a California mix casserole with Velveeta and Ritz crackers, and an absolutely scrumptious chocolate pie.

chocolate pie is really good too. My grandma made a wonderful one, but I am not good at making it.:sad:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Oh yeah... mom's recipe scalloped corn is a must. That, and lefse for sure!

I like it best with crunched up, golden brown saltines on top.

D

DistrictCyclone

I convinced my family to do steaks one year and brisket another. It was a nice change of pace that everyone enjoyed.

I did this with a stuffed pork loin once--the stuffing made it semi-traditional, which cut back on the squawking from family.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I'm attempting my first ever turkey fry tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Good luck. Get the outside and cavity as dry as possible, leave plenty of room in the fry pot, and plan on it taking up to a few minutes to lower it into the oil. I'm sure you've seen the boilover fire videos.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Good luck. Get the outside and cavity as dry as possible, leave plenty of room in the fry pot, and plan on it taking up to a few minutes to lower it into the oil. I'm sure you've seen the boilover fire videos.

I really like Good Eats episode on how to do that safely.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Boneless, skinless Turkey breast from West Liberty Food Market

Yukon Gold mashed potatoes

Green bean casserole

rolls

Pecan Pie

~ Pumpkin pie like Lasagna or Spaghetti > you prefer your mom's version and afraid to eat someone elses' offering