Favorite NCAA basketball announcers

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
With the tournament upon us, I was thinking of my favorite announcer. Mine is Gus Johnson. Here is my favorite Gus Johnson moment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgeqrYxu_YM&feature=related]YouTube - Screaming Gus Johnson[/ame]

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't watch enough national bball to have much of an opinion on "favorite"

But I'd like to say that although I can't stand him if I ever have to listen the Chiefs, I thought Mitch Hol?????? did a pretty darn good job in the few ISU games I heard him do. Brings some good passion, seems to do his homework, does a smooth call, and doesn't really have a favorite in his broadcast.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Al McGuire was the best. Good guy too. Gotta love Bill Raferty talking about a kid having a big valentine (heart).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I love Gus. I'm glad he's young and I hope he says as excited as he is right now. I used to hate Raftery but he's grown on me and he's my #2.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Good grief, do all you guys love Jim Rome too? I didn't mind Gus earlier in his career but when every game starts sounding like the National Championship it soon gets old. Same with Raftery who is really starting to lose it in his old age.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
it's Bill Raferty for me. He is clearly at the top. Gus Johnson is very good also. I just love Raferty's little things he ads. The whole Send it home Jerome was the best dunk call ever.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
I don't watch enough national bball to have much of an opinion on "favorite"

But I'd like to say that although I can't stand him if I ever have to listen the Chiefs, I thought Mitch Hol?????? did a pretty darn good job in the few ISU games I heard him do. Brings some good passion, seems to do his homework, does a smooth call, and doesn't really have a favorite in his broadcast.

Holthus is an excellent basketball announcer, and his ties to the midwest make him a lot more relavent than someone who flew into town the day before the game.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Good grief, do all you guys love Jim Rome too? I didn't mind Gus earlier in his career but when every game starts sounding like the National Championship it soon gets old. Same with Raftery who is really starting to lose it in his old age.

i totally agree with this. gus johnson was great before he became known being the over-the-top guy. it used to be awesome but now its just a show.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Gottlieb and Bilas...they break down x's and o's better than anyone, and don't act as though people are tuning in to listen to them instead of watch the game.

Cycloin

Feb 5, 2009
Johnston
Fanorite all-time: Ron Franklin and Jon Sundvold from Big Monday back in the day.

Current for the tournament: Anyone besides Jim Nantz and Billy Packer.

A-town Cy

Aug 4, 2006
Huxley
rise-and-fire.gif

Cycofan1

Jan 12, 2009
Reid Gettys and Dave Armstrong.

Just Kidding I hate those 2 guys they are the Big 12 annoucers.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I like Verne Lundquist and Bill Raftery.

Right with you on this one. I've always liked these guys and it made it even sweeter that they were working the ISU games during the 2000 tournament run.

They covered the regional in Detroit (Auburn Hills) the year we made the Elite Eight. They were both hanging out at the bar located just outside The Palace right after we beat UCLA. They were very approachable and it was a blast B.S'ing with them that night.

Last edited:

isunorth

Mar 3, 2009
Minneapolis
Raftery. No one is even a close second.

With the Kiss!
Send it in!
Man-to-man!
Onions!

Doesn't get any better in my opinion.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I love Gus Johnson's passion...sure he makes every game sound like the national title but I love his excitement.