Favorite memories from the season?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So, now that it's been a couple of days since our season ended, I've been thinking about what a fun ride it was and remembering some of the highlights of it, and I'm curious to hear from other posters what those might be.

For me, I'll separate it between non-conference and Big 12 play;

Smashing Iowa by 20 was great, as was the road win at Creighton, but for me the highlight of the non-conference schedule was our victory over Memphis in the NIT. I remember going into that game that I thought there was a real chance that we could get our a$$ kicked by a much more talented, Top 10 team, and instead it was our Cyclones who did the a$$ kicking. I remember cackling with glee like a deranged madman in front of the TV watching us completely eviscerate them in the 2nd half of that game.

For the Big 12 season all of the road wins were amazing, particularly at TCU, as we really, really needed that one, but for some reason the home win against Texas really stands out to me. It wasn't a blowout against a solid team, but IIRC we were more or less in control pretty much the whole way, and if I remember correctly from looking at T-rank it might have been one of our best games of the season.

As for the NCAA tournament, where to start? The LSU win was by no means a gimme for us, and I shrieked in delight when Tyrese hit that last 3-pointer to more or less ice the game. As for Wisconsin, quick little anecdote; my former roommate and I had gotten tickets to go see "Hamilton" down in Denver waaay back before the season even started, and while in the back of my mind I knew that there could be a conflict with the NCAA tournament I also never, ever expected us to make the NCAA's in the first place. Thank God for DVR!

Anyway, does anyone else want to chime in?

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Non con Memphis was a lot of fun watching with family on Thanksgiving weekend and my first "holy **** we are for real" moment of the season. Smoking Iowa was obviously fun but my other top win would probably be Creighton. That was a really gritty win.

Conference wise the road win at Okie State was probably my favorite. Brockington was great down the stretch. Grill made like five threes. And I think that was the game that neither team had the lead more than 5 points the entire game. Just a heart attack inducing thriller

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Brockington’s steal and immediate basket to help defeat West Virginia was one of my favorite moments of the regular season.

Of course Hunter’s huge 3’s to help defeat LSU, and then Gabe’s big game against Wisconsin will be moments that I will remember.

Crushing the Hawks by 20 at home was pretty fun as well.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
1. Wisconsin - beat big 10 champs in essentially a road game to do what only a few ISU teams have done.
2. Memphis - a beatdown that made it clear this team was the real deal
3. Iowa - beatdown of a rival. I didn’t think Iowa was very good at the time, or I might have ranked it higher
4. WVU at home. Stealing a win with slim odds when the team really needed a win.
5. LSU - Yawn, just another quad 1
6. At TCU - tough fought road game that was desperately needed

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Going to Milwaukee to watch the game against LSU. It was my first ever tournament game, and also probably the first time I’d gone to see an ISU basketball game in person in roughly five years. Terrible day to explore Milwaukee but the game made the experience 100% worth it.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
So, now that it's been a couple of days since our season ended, I've been thinking about what a fun ride it was and remembering some of the highlights of it, and I'm curious to hear from other posters what those might be.

For me, I'll separate it between non-conference and Big 12 play;

Smashing Iowa by 20 was great, as was the road win at Creighton, but for me the highlight of the non-conference schedule was our victory over Memphis in the NIT. I remember going into that game that I thought there was a real chance that we could get our a$$ kicked by a much more talented, Top 10 team, and instead it was our Cyclones who did the a$$ kicking. I remember cackling with glee like a deranged madman in front of the TV watching us completely eviscerate them in the 2nd half of that game.

For the Big 12 season all of the road wins were amazing, particularly at TCU, as we really, really needed that one, but for some reason the home win against Texas really stands out to me. It wasn't a blowout against a solid team, but IIRC we were more or less in control pretty much the whole way, and if I remember correctly from looking at T-rank it might have been one of our best games of the season.

As for the NCAA tournament, where to start? The LSU win was by no means a gimme for us, and I shrieked in delight when Tyrese hit that last 3-pointer to more or less ice the game. As for Wisconsin, quick little anecdote; my former roommate and I had gotten tickets to go see "Hamilton" down in Denver waaay back before the season even started, and while in the back of my mind I knew that there could be a conflict with the NCAA tournament I also never, ever expected us to make the NCAA's in the first place. Thank God for DVR!

Anyway, does anyone else want to chime in?
Attended the Texas game after a tough winter trek and it was so worth it. Offense was also really clicking that afternoon.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Creighton was huge: 1st true road game against a P6 foe.

Gabe’s back to back 3s against WVU is underrated awesomeness.

Coming back to take the lead on Baylor after they mocked us getting our 6th point after being down 25 was pretty fun.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Going to the sweet 16 by far. That feeling on Sunday night was hard to replace.

Also the student section chanting one more year to Bohannon…

Reactions: NWICY

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Creighton was huge: 1st true road game against a P6 foe.

Gabe’s back to back 3s against WVU is underrated awesomeness.

Coming back to take the lead on Baylor after they mocked us getting our 6th point after being down 25 was pretty fun.
That's my chocie too!

I went to the game @ Creighton without expectations and just had a good time.

Attachments

• ISU@Creighton_120421.jpg
    ISU@Creighton_120421.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I started compiling my top-10 wins of the season list, but I won't post it here yet.

I'd love to see a montage of top 10/20 plays of the season, from anyone who is good at compiling and producing it.

Meantime -- here's a photo that encompasses the thrill and underdoggishness of NCAAT first weekend.

Attachments

• ISU-Robert Jones.jpg
    ISU-Robert Jones.jpg
    740.6 KB · Views: 16

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Honestly, the Creighton game was my favorite. That's a good program and a huge arena and we got the dub.
Always nice to beat Mizzou too.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Preseason NIT and realizing basketball was going to be fun again. It was also fun debating if/where ISU was going to land in the Top 25 after that.