Favorite Band that Few People Know

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
great band for sure. Yes, and Beatle-esque is the perfect way to describe them. My favorite album by them is Skylarking.
Skylarking was my first XTC album. But then I went backwards. You must. Go. Backwards.

And have you listened to their alter-ego, The Dukes of Stratosphere? That is some weird ****.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Where to start.... Usual suspects that I am sure u have too @Brett44 Shakey Graves, Lucero, and Turnpike Troubadour’s. But on a new music angle, a few punk bands I recently discovered The Slow Death (Paddy from d4’s super group), The Dirty Nil’s and Iron Chic!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Where to start.... Usual suspects that I am sure u have too @Brett44 Shakey Graves, Lucero, and Turnpike Troubadour’s. But on a new music angle, a few punk bands I recently discovered The Slow Death (Paddy from d4’s super group), The Dirty Nil’s and Iron Chic!!!

Great options. I'm a huge, huge Shakey fan - some similar artists that are under most's radar that are similar are Shovels & Rope, Deer Tick, and Bahamas.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
A few from a variety of genres:

- Greta Van Fleet - are awesome, sound a ton like Led Zeppelin. They just released their first full album, and have a great sound:

- The Sheepdogs - they are a little bit more of a 60s throwback, have some notes of The Beatles sometimes. Very jangly:

- St Paul and the Broken Bones - very cool soul/R&B, a bit of a throwback to the Motown soul era:

- Republican Hair - they are a tiny little band out of Memphis, but are just freaking hilarious and pithy and catchy, check out several of their songs:

Thanks for the tip on Greta Van Fleet. Must have.

• Friendly

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A lot of my choices have been mentioned. I'd add these:

The Hold Steady. Springsteen meets Thin Lizzy.

Tyler Childers. The next Sturgill Simpson.

The Yawpers (thanks to @isukendall for turning me on to them). Greasy, filthy, literate punk/country/blues/rock hybrid.

Natural Child. Drunk, stoned, and worshiping at the altar of 1973.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Does War on Drugs or Manchester Orchestra count? Or are they too well known at this point to be considered some of the best bands out there right now?
Saw War On Drugs last month. Outstanding show!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Does War on Drugs or Manchester Orchestra count? Or are they too well known at this point to be considered some of the best bands out there right now?

They are both good and I'm sure SOMEONE hasn't heard of them, so worth a share.

Reactions: drlove

cyking

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Boone
http://www.coldrain.jp/
Check out the Japanese rock band, their lead singer’s mother is from Iowa.
Their music is performed in English.
They have toured all over the world and in USA.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron