Farmageddon Commercial

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
That's the problem with this whole thing - you don't just go out and "find a rival." Rivalries have a life of their own that develop naturally. ISU's two REAL rivals are Iowa and Nebraska. And as for the "Iowa-Purdue rivalry," there is no such thing. Ask fans on both sides about this and they will likely not know what you're talking about. That is simply a scheduling anomaly. Iowa's rivals are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and of course Iowa State. Sure ISU may form some other rivalries over time, but for now there is none that matters more than Iowa. Be honest with yourselves - Farmageddon will never eclipse ISU-Iowa!

I'm being perfectly honest when I say I would much rather have beaten KSU than Iowa this year. Iowa will never be in our conference. I think this will develop into an actual rivalry since in the new conference each of us wants to make the other a team that we typically beat. It's also far more natural than Iowa-Purdue. We're both Land Grants living in the shadow of our sister state universities.

Also, it doesn't have to come down to hate. Army and Navy don't "hate" each other. We don't have to hate KSU to recognize that we're bonded in things beyond football.

Cyrok

Oct 14, 2009
DSM
nice work - loved the music and can't wait to see it after you add the football clips

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
That's the problem with this whole thing - you don't just go out and "find a rival." Rivalries have a life of their own that develop naturally. ISU's two REAL rivals are Iowa and Nebraska. And as for the "Iowa-Purdue rivalry," there is no such thing. Ask fans on both sides about this and they will likely not know what you're talking about. That is simply a scheduling anomaly. Iowa's rivals are Minnesota, Wisconsin, and of course Iowa State. Sure ISU may form some other rivalries over time, but for now there is none that matters more than Iowa. Be honest with yourselves - Farmageddon will never eclipse ISU-Iowa!
Dont forget ISU vs. Mizzou for the telephone trophy though IMO I think that is more of just a game and they said lets play for a trophy. I do not really consider it much of a rivalry.

SillyCyLow

Dec 21, 2010
I'm being perfectly honest when I say I would much rather have beaten KSU than Iowa this year. Iowa will never be in our conference. I think this will develop into an actual rivalry since in the new conference each of us wants to make the other a team that we typically beat. It's also far more natural than Iowa-Purdue. We're both Land Grants living in the shadow of our sister state universities.

Also, it doesn't have to come down to hate. Army and Navy don't "hate" each other. We don't have to hate KSU to recognize that we're bonded in things beyond football.
Yeah, RIGHT!!! I'm being perfectly honest when I say I don't know of another TRUE Cyclone fan who doesn't want to beat the Hawks whenever they play each other. But, to each his own.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006

You know, since the move of Nebbie to the Big 10 my experience living here in Omaha, has been an intense anticipation on the part of Iowa and Neb fans for the UI/NU game this fall. All I hear Hawk fans talk about over here is the Nebraska game and not the ISU game, and certainly not Purdue. And of course there won't be any NU/ISU rivalry. I mean don't you have to play the other team to actually be a rival.

Maybe things are different in central and eastern Iowa, but ISU/Iowa isn't a big rivalry thing over here as I view it. Of course the OWH likes to hype the Iowa/Nu game to ad nauseum. Actually, much to my chagrin, ISU is slowly sinking into a state of irelevancy as far as the media over here is concerned. But that has a lot to do with the Big 12 losing its relevancy as well.

Of course, a lot of that could change with a resounding win by the Cyclones over the Hawks this fall, and a highly sucessful football season for the Clones over all, say 8+ wins.

Also, Farmageddon wise, isn't there some hype on the part of Neb/Iowa folks to pirate that label for thier game? Or do KSU and ISU have a lock on it? If not, I think ISU/KSU need to get off their collective butts and claim it.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Yeah, RIGHT!!! I'm being perfectly honest when I say I don't know of another TRUE Cyclone fan who doesn't want to beat the Hawks whenever they play each other. But, to each his own.

:twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy::twitcy:

Okay tough guy I guess I'm not as hardcore as you.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
This is the dumbest argument ever. Of course every cyclone fan wants to beat the hawks. Every cyclone fan wants to beat every opponent. Ranking win importance is an entirely different animal.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I updated the end so it isn't so anti-climatic. Its not supposed to be high intensity video a lot of you want, but more of a movie teaser/trailer. I'd add a bunch of awesome football clips if I had them, but I have zero KSU clips. Either way, enjoy. Its February afterall.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs8rcoDRgIw"]YouTube - Farmageddon Teaser[/ame]

And Farmageddon is really no different than any other rivalry. They all start some place. Some started in the 19th century, some start now. That's life. Its not a hated rivalry like with Iowa or Nebraska, but more of a fun rivalry between 2 states, schools, and fanbases who are pretty much identical.

Edit: I tried Bread & Water, Al, and it just didn't have the feel I wanted. I was looking for that country, back porch, slide guitar feel.

Last edited:

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
We are supposed to hate each other because the conference tells us we are. That is the best part, in my opinion. At least they found a rival that makes some sense instead of the Iowa Purdue crap rivalry.

That's great and all, but the video conveys none of that. It just conveys that KSU has farmers and Ames has farmers and the dust bowl was a tough time. That's pretty much all I got out of it. Gotta make it so an "outsider" has a clue. By outsider, I don't mean Ponyboy or two-bit. I mean someone in Florida or Washington would watch and understand there is a general dislike between the two schools.

Also, what's at stake? For Michigan/Ohio St. it was most often the Big10 Championship or even national title hopes. For Army/Navy is bragging rights for a storied tradition of honor and respect. For others is just hatred for one another. What is at stake between us and KSU?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
That's great and all, but the video conveys none of that. It just conveys that KSU has farmers and Ames has farmers and the dust bowl was a tough time. That's pretty much all I got out of it. Gotta make it so an "outsider" has a clue. By outsider, I don't mean Ponyboy or two-bit. I mean someone in Florida or Washington would watch and understand there is a general dislike between the two schools.

Also, what's at stake? For Michigan/Ohio St. it was most often the Big10 Championship or even national title hopes. For Army/Navy is bragging rights for a storied tradition of honor and respect. For others is just hatred for one another. What is at stake between us and KSU?

see, I disagree. I think that the more tongue-in-cheek and off beat we keep it, the better this rivalry gets. I mean, the country has scores of big rivalries for good reasons with true hate. How about a rivalry that only the two schools and their fans get. I mean, I think the video should do a few images of dust bowl, tractors, and random farm **** and then go straight to football images and then something really cheesy like "Farmaggedon: Harvest is Over, But This Season Is Just Starting" just make everybody else think, "what the **** was that?" I mean, lets be honest, no one in Washington or Florida is ever going to say, man that KSU/ISU rivalry is intense but we might be able to get them to say, man, that KSU/ISU rivalry is the most entertaining in sports as far as the pregame banter between fanbases. I personally think KSU has some of the most talented humorists on the internet and if we can match them and be willing to laugh at ourselves we might have something special. And, lets do something original instead of a trophy. Like, lets play for the "Golden Acre." An Acre somewhere in between KSU and ISU...maybe in Missouri just to make it odd enough to get people talking that gets planted the next season in wheat if KSU wins and in corn if ISU wins.

Last edited:

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009

I'm pretty sure I hate KSU more than Iowa.

Can't stand Bill Snyder, Can't stand Frank Martin. I think their fans are some of the dumbest in the nation. I hate purple, I hate their mascot, and I hate their stupid *** EMAW.

Last edited:

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
see, I disagree. I think that the more tongue-in-cheek and off beat we keep it, the better this rivalry gets. I mean, the country has scores of big rivalries for good reasons with true hate. How about a rivalry that only the two schools and their fans get. I mean, I think the video should do a few images of dust bowl, tractors, and random farm **** and then go straight to football images and then something really cheesy like "Farmaggedon: Harvest is Over, But This Season Is Just Starting" just make everybody else think, "what the **** was that?" I mean, lets be honest, no one in Washington or Florida is ever going to say, man that KSU/ISU rivalry is intense but we might be able to get them to say, man, that KSU/ISU rivalry is the most entertaining in sports as far as the pregame banter between fanbases. I personally think KSU has some of the most talented humorists on the internet and if we can match them and be willing to laugh at ourselves we might have something special. And, lets do something original instead of a trophy. Like, lets play for the "Golden Acre." An Acre somewhere in between KSU and ISU...maybe in Missouri just to make it odd enough to get people talking that gets planted the next season in wheat if KSU wins and in corn if ISU wins.

That is the best idea I've heard yet. Even better, put it on the loser school's campus (research farm) and put up a sign with the score or something.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I updated the end so it isn't so anti-climatic. Its not supposed to be high intensity video a lot of you want, but more of a movie teaser/trailer. I'd add a bunch of awesome football clips if I had them, but I have zero KSU clips. Either way, enjoy. Its February afterall.

YouTube - Farmageddon Teaser

And Farmageddon is really no different than any other rivalry. They all start some place. Some started in the 19th century, some start now. That's life. Its not a hated rivalry like with Iowa or Nebraska, but more of a fun rivalry between 2 states, schools, and fanbases who are pretty much identical.

Edit: I tried Bread & Water, Al, and it just didn't have the feel I wanted. I was looking for that country, back porch, slide guitar feel.

The more I watch it, the more I think that was the right call. Bread and Water would work for a more "high intensity" type video, which is totally different than what you're shooting for. The Black Keys were a good call here.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
You know, since the move of Nebbie to the Big 10 my experience living here in Omaha, has been an intense anticipation on the part of Iowa and Neb fans for the UI/NU game this fall. All I hear Hawk fans talk about over here is the Nebraska game and not the ISU game, and certainly not Purdue. And of course there won't be any NU/ISU rivalry. I mean don't you have to play the other team to actually be a rival.

Maybe things are different in central and eastern Iowa, but ISU/Iowa isn't a big rivalry thing over here as I view it. Of course the OWH likes to hype the Iowa/Nu game to ad nauseum. Actually, much to my chagrin, ISU is slowly sinking into a state of irelevancy as far as the media over here is concerned. But that has a lot to do with the Big 12 losing its relevancy as well.

Of course, a lot of that could change with a resounding win by the Cyclones over the Hawks this fall, and a highly sucessful football season for the Clones over all, say 8+ wins.

Also, Farmageddon wise, isn't there some hype on the part of Neb/Iowa folks to pirate that label for thier game? Or do KSU and ISU have a lock on it? If not, I think ISU/KSU need to get off their collective butts and claim it.

Yep, absolutely no anticipation of this game at all by anyone in the state. Local media doesn't talk about it all week long. WHO sports team never takes an RV out all week and stop the last day at the home team's parking lot. HyVee doesn't do anything special that week, or anyother business. Never been to a football party that week with rival fans. I think your probably right, no one cares.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Iowa fans have never talked about the ISU game though. They act as if it's not a rivalry, which is of course undermined when they storm the field after beating us.

Nebbie fans will overlook Iowa very soon, regardless of what happens on the field. The only Big 10 program they probably respect is Ohio State, but that's not an "every year" type thing.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
Yep, absolutely no anticipation of this game at all by anyone in the state. Local media doesn't talk about it all week long. WHO sports team never takes an RV out all week and stop the last day at the home team's parking lot. HyVee doesn't do anything special that week, or anyother business. Never been to a football party that week with rival fans. I think your probably right, no one cares.

A quote from me:

"You know, since the move of Nebbie to the Big 10 my experience living here in Omaha, has been an intense anticipation on the part of Iowa and Neb fans for the UI/NU game this fall."

I also pointed out that I really don't know about central or eastern Iowa because I don't live there.

I WAS POSTING ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE HERE - OMAHA!! LOCAL MEDIA HERE, ETC. GET IT? JEESH!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site