Fanalytix: Iowa State 38, Baylor 31

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Simply put, it is a graphic drive chart. Shows the order, duration, and results of drives and scores.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Essentially, it provides a graphic presentation of this data, but using color to separate the teams rather than have two lists.

1604984685978.png

• Winner

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I mean that’s interesting, but that’s about it. The point of a chart is to make raw data easier to consume. This graphic does the reverse- it actually makes it more difficult.

I understand why you might think that. It does seem like there is a lot going on. However, I find that it shows the flow of the game in a very simple, almost elegant manner. I can make observations immediately with ease that are harder to make from a regular drive chart (and I like regular drive charts).

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I'm just a lowly Professional Engineer with a wife who has a PhD in statistics. This makes sense to neither of us.
You can’t read a circle?
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone and aauummm

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
CheerfulUnfoldedCusimanse-size_restricted.gif

I love me some infographics, I do. It would help immensely if there was was some visual queue to immediately identify this is set up as a clock. Just add some simple text outside the ring to identify each quadrant as Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4? And the drive directional arrows I completely missed the first few times looking. Those could use a completely different color.

Now for the biggest head scratchers of mine:
  • In the center of the ring, why is there a state of Iowa icon above the Baylor score?
  • And what is the icon above the Iowa State score?
All in all, I can dig the concept. It is fun to have a visual representation of the dynamics of the game and the overall flow of the game...and see how that matches up with what we remember watching.

....Now I want to see one of these for the K State game in Rhoads final season. :mccaffery:

• Agree

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I guess kids have broken my brain.
chuckle...that can sure do it! Actually, I looked at the chart that he did for KU and it looked so confusing that I just casually examined it and then gave up. When I took a look at this one it then began to make more sense. Then after studying it a bit more it finally all fell into place. It's really just a drive chart that's arranged in a circle rather than being linear. Without getting into the details of the chart information, it shows the drive length for both distance and time by the amount of color for each team.

Last edited:

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I understand why you might think that. It does seem like there is a lot going on. However, I find that it shows the flow of the game in a very simple, almost elegant manner. I can make observations immediately with ease that are harder to make from a regular drive chart (and I like regular drive charts).

Why make it a circle though? Just add the lines to the chart.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
As someone already mentioned, it is easier to see flow of the game. You immediately see the depth (yards) and duration (time) of each drive. The result (score, turnover, punt) are not as evident. The amount of red immediately tells me we controlled time of possession (breadth of drives). ISU drives were drawn out while BU had more quick scores. The length of the red sections tells me that we got first downs on almost every drive (looks like 2 drives were 3 and out or turnover in 3 plays or less) all in first 22 minutes of game.

1605015023101.png

psychlones

Jun 13, 2006
Ames, IA
  • In the center of the ring, why is there a state of Iowa icon above the Baylor score?
  • And what is the icon above the Iowa State score?

To me, this looks like:

1. A map of Iowa with an indicator for Ames, thus showing where the game was played.

2. A visual representation of the outline of Jack Trice Stadium when viewed from above?

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
chuckle...that can sure do it! Actually, I looked at the chart that he did for KU and it looked so confusing that I just casually examined it and then gave up. When I took a look at this one it then began to make more sense. Then after studying it a bit more it finally all fell into place. It's really just a drive chart that's arranged in a circle rather than being linear. Without getting into the details of the chart information, it shows the drive length for both distance and time by the amount of color for each team.

What confuses it a bit is that the drive direction on the chart changes each quarter just as it does in the game. I keep having to remind myself of that.
I don't think that is true unless I am not understanding what you mean. ISU scored TDs in the second, third and fourth quarters. All of them are represented by reaching the perimeter of the ring. Baylor scored TDs in the first, second and fourth quarters. All of them are represented by reaching the interior limit of the ring.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It took me a while to figure it out - partly because I was working with such a small image. But as I started to figure out the details it started to make more and more sense and it became more useful.

Every time I look at it I discover another detail I missed. Like the little turnover icons are placed where on the field the turnover occurred - like the Rose interception is in the end zone despite the Baylor drive not getting that far.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Here's the cheat codes :
Fat slices = lots of time consumed
Skinny slices = less time off clock
Long slices = more yards gained
Sort slices = less yards gained

• Agree

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I don't think that is true unless I am not understanding what you mean. ISU scored TDs in the second, third and fourth quarters. All of them are represented by reaching the perimeter of the ring. Baylor scored TDs in the first, second and fourth quarters. All of them are represented by reaching the interior limit of the ring.
You're right. I now notice, after you mentioned that, that there are little gray arrows at the beginning of each drive. Very hard to see at the posted resolution (more noticable on the graph that Chris first posted). All of our arrows are pointed toward the outer ring and all of Baylor's arrows are pointed toward the inner ring, just as you say. Now I'll have to go back and look at that graph again with that new information!

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I assume the three little circles in the middle are team comparisons of rushing yards, passing yards and (?)penalty yards. Why is there more green for penalty yards though? Didn't ISU gain many more yards through penalty than Baylor? Why would you put this one as yards lost through penalty rather than yards gained through penalty? Do I have what that third circle represents wrong?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Good lord, its not that hard to understand if you spend a few minutes looking at it. Its just another way to visualize data. It's not terribly useful for me because I don't care about that level of detail with a game, but I suppose if it's a choice between this and a table full of numbers give me this. There are definitely trends you can see quickly and intuitively that don't pop out when staring at raw numbers. That's why we find different ways to visualize data.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron