Fan support?

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I don't get it. Why doesn't fan support matter to recruits? Baylor is ranked #4 in the country. Okie State has an NBA point guard(Evans) with a new coach leading them to a 7-2 record. Yet both crowds are sparse tonight, and I mean sparse. Yet neither school has had trouble getting good recruits/talent to their programs. Just seems like it would be a factor for a 3 or 4star who was deciding after the top kids go to the blue bloods. While we promote it and boast our sellouts, I don't know that it really has ever been a factor in getting us a recruit. Too many other factor$, I suppose?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Who says it doesn't?

The answer is, is doesn't matter to all of them...maybe not even the majority?

Let's not act like all kids are motivated by the same things. Some are 100% about the coach. Others the tradition. Some want to be in a warmer climate. Others might care about game-day atmosphere. There are probably a hundred different factors....and arena atmosphere is only one of them.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Who says it doesn't?

The answer is, is doesn't matter to all of them...maybe not even the majority?

Let's not act like all kids are motivated by the same things. Some are 100% about the coach. Others the tradition. Some want to be in a warmer climate. Others might care about game-day atmosphere. There are probably a hundred different factors....and arena atmosphere is only one of them.
Who says it doesn't?

Okay...maybe I should have simply asked, why can't a Top 5 ranked Baylor, or a Power 5 Okie State with talent, get a crowds. Baffles me. Please don't tell me its just because they're football schools.

Reactions: capitalcityguy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If fan support and attendance were the be all and end all then we would have the best women's basketball program in the Big 12. But it isn't and we aren't. Same applies to MBB once you drop below the blue blood schools with their crazy support and tradition.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
A young recruit might hear about Hilton Magic but coming here for a game an entirely different matter.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
So whats the draw to Waco and Stillwater if they don't have sledding and no fan support?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
We've heard from numerous recruits they like our environment. Once they are here it's almost always the same response.

I would venture a guess that the recruits who see college as the realistic pinnacle of their playing days will find atmosphere more important than a recruit who knows they will be in the NBA. At that point it's about skill development and the right coach.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So whats the draw to Waco and Stillwater if they don't have sledding and no fan support?

You know what has a lot to do with it? Changing coaches every 5 years for more than 20 years. Success and longevity matters in recruiting. We have had some success. We haven't had longevity. There isn't a successful power 5 program (there slso really isn't an unsuccessful program) that has had the type of turnover we've had. People say it doesn't matter, but it does.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
When did the popular place to lunch tray sled move from the president's house hill to the DG course? Although I've done both.
They were lunch tray sledding on that hill back in the 70's. We had a tractor inner tube that you could pile people onto. We used to pick up some serious speed going down that hill.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
When did the popular place to lunch tray sled move from the president's house hill to the DG course? Although I've done both.

Bigger hill, and after the ice Storm of 07/08 that mother ****** was like sledding down Everest in an avalanche.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

That answer is real easy....Its the COACH boys and girls....why was Johnny Orr a success at ISU and glen anderson ....Ken Trickey and Lynn Nance abject failures?????

Its the coach and with most recruits thats all it is.......Players who grew up in the south dont want to come up here for the winters if they can stay down south.......

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron