Fall Lawn Care

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am looking to seed some small patches of my yard that I accidentally sprayed with Roundup. They are patches about 4-6" in diameter. I looked online and it says seed Mid-August to Mid-September. I overseeded last fall so my lawn is pretty good except for these spots. I know it has been dry, but the extended forecast looks relatively cool for highs. Should I seed the spots now or hold off? I also plan on aerating later this fall so I was hoping to get the grass started before I aerate.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Doesn't Roundup last 12 months? You may have to wait until next spring.
Roundup has no residual activity.

If you're just seeding those spots I would wait until you get some consistent rain in the forecast then throw it down any time. You may need to supplement a little water here or there. If you're doing the whole yard again, wait a couple weeks then aerate first. Labor day is generally a good seeding target in Iowa.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I tried some Scott's patchmaster stuff early this summer and some grass came up but hardly any. The stuff was pretty much all ground up cardboard so I'm not surprised. I did put some new top soil in the spots as well when I put it down so shouldn't be a problem. I plan to put a bit more top soil when I seed and cover it with some peat moss or straw to hold moisture.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Roundup has no residual activity.

If you're just seeding those spots I would wait until you get some consistent rain in the forecast then throw it down any time. You may need to supplement a little water here or there. If you're doing the whole yard again, wait a couple weeks then aerate first. Labor day is generally a good seeding target in Iowa.
I didn't figure it would hold any residual. It was a different brand of glyphosate (Bayer stuff) and I grabbed it by mistake to spray some weeds and was super pissed once I realized I sprayed the wrong stuff.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
I am looking to seed some small patches of my yard that I accidentally sprayed with Roundup. They are patches about 4-6" in diameter. I looked online and it says seed Mid-August to Mid-September. I overseeded last fall so my lawn is pretty good except for these spots. I know it has been dry, but the extended forecast looks relatively cool for highs. Should I seed the spots now or hold off? I also plan on aerating later this fall so I was hoping to get the grass started before I aerate.
Put down your fall fertilizer in the next month or so. I’m a firm believer in seeding literally before the first snowfall. I have never had an issue with the grass growing. Snow melts and pushes the seed in.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Wondering how long pre-emergent crabgrass preventer lasts. I applied it April 1, so it is inert by now right?

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I always spot seed bluegrass now. Especially in this weather pattern hot days and cool nights. Put grass clippings over it and water water water. Too thick of layer of clippings bad---Too thin bad it wont hold the moisture. You can error too thick a layer of clippings to start but once emergence starts, check to see if it is mostly emerging thru the layer of clippings. Seeding later is less work but I start running out of yard time later in the year.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Any guidance on this from the pros on here? Looking to try to thicken the grass and hopefully make my yard smoother. Best timing, methods, application rates, etc.

Thanks
Get your broadleaves killed while it's still warm. Then work on aeration and seeding. Both work better if done when the soil is moister than it has been lately. I don't like to overseed areas larger than I can irrigate frequently (even daily) for a week or so. Dry, breezy fall weather can undo your best laid plans. Your existing grass can thicken up nicely if we have an extended fall with good moisture and you can fertilize lightly and keep it mowed consistently. As with growing anything, luck helps.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Get your broadleaves killed while it's still warm. Then work on aeration and seeding. Both work better if done when the soil is moister than it has been lately. I don't like to overseed areas larger than I can irrigate frequently (even daily) for a week or so. Dry, breezy fall weather can undo your best laid plans. Your existing grass can thicken up nicely if we have an extended fall with good moisture and you can fertilize lightly and keep it mowed consistently. As with growing anything, luck helps.

Thank you!

Would you aerate first, then seed?

Help Support Us

Become a patron