Fall lawn care-overseeding/mowing/bagging

INCyclone

Jan 17, 2012
Indiana
Good morning to the lawn care experts. A few weeks ago I aerated my yard, fertilized and over seeded. I've had good results with the warm weather in Indiana, but I haven't mowed and it's pretty tall right now. I would like to mow but was wondering if I should mow at the highest setting or middle or low for the winter? Also, I'm planning on bagging it since it's so tall, but do you normally just mulch and leave it on the grass?

Thanks for any suggestions!

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Good morning to the lawn care experts. A few weeks ago I aerated my yard, fertilized and over seeded. I've had good results with the warm weather in Indiana, but I haven't mowed and it's pretty tall right now. I would like to mow but was wondering if I should mow at the highest setting or middle or low for the winter? Also, I'm planning on bagging it since it's so tall, but do you normally just mulch and leave it on the grass?

No expert......however moved to our current address ten years ago and the lawn was basically a weed patch. Big lawn. Did not want to pay outrageous fee's for professional or the cost of sodding. So what we decided since we are here for the long haul was every fall over seed(which you did) and every spring weed and feed, once, right after a big rain. And we never, ever bag...best mulch in the world. Holds moisture and helps seed germinate. Now, it's a golf course. It might take a few years, but be patient and when you over seed, use multiple varieties of seed i.e. drought resistant etc. Oh, and sharpen blade before every mow. You would be surprised how your grass responds. And always have setting on high. It helps the health of the lawn in case of drought.

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
I aerated and over seeded several weeks back. The front yard looks great. The back yard however seems to have some drainage problems during heavy rains, and seems that the seed likely washed away. It has several bald spots and I've tried the lawn patch twice, in addition to the over seed with absolutely no luck.

Any opinions on redoing the over seed on the back yard? Worth it yet this fall or wait till spring?

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I aerated and over seeded several weeks back. The front yard looks great. The back yard however seems to have some drainage problems during heavy rains, and seems that the seed likely washed away. It has several bald spots and I've tried the lawn patch twice, in addition to the over seed with absolutely no luck.

Any opinions on redoing the over seed on the back yard? Worth it yet this fall or wait till spring?

I think you can still try it again this fall. Get the seeds on the ground with some soil contact. The growing season is slowing, but you might be surprised what comes up next Spring when the snow melts.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines

Kill it with fire

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Mow high this round if you haven't mowed in awhile. Then gradually bring it down for winter. Try to never cut more than 30% of your grass height off.

Based off of pictures I see on FB...I have extreme yard envy of your neighbor.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
Mow high this round if you haven't mowed in awhile. Then gradually bring it down for winter. Try to never cut more than 30% of your grass height off.

The 30% (technically 33%) rule is a very good one, I would caution cutting very low before winter freeze up. You want no shorter than 3 inches. Any lower opens up the grass to winter-kill or unnecessary stress.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I weeded with weed-b-dead and pulled weeds in late summer and than raked it hard and top dressed with compost and seed this fall. I'd even bought a little non-power reel mower so I won't blow the seed and compost away. Than had a 5-inch in a day rainfall and it ALL washed down the street. :( So back to where I was in August. Guess I'll try again next year.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's amazing what rain can do. I did absolutely nothing to my yard this year and during the mini drought we had in the summer it looked terrible and there were weeds everywhere. I was kicking myself for not doing more. Came back from a two weeks vacation and it looked nearly perfect.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
What type of late fall/winter fertilizer should I put down this wknd? My new grass is already coming in well, so I dont think that would get damaged by any ingredients.

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
What type of late fall/winter fertilizer should I put down this wknd? My new grass is already coming in well, so I dont think that would get damaged by any ingredients.
I'm no expert, but from what I heard you want to avoid weed n' feed until all the new stuff is well established. Don't know how long it's been since you seeded, but wouldn't hurt to just go straight lawn food unless you have serious weed concerns.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota

Most residential lawns have plenty of phosphorus, for example in Minnesota it is illegal to apply it to your lawn unless a soil test from a lab tells you there is a need. Potassium might be a concern if you have a sandier lawn.

For nitrogen, as long as you don't apply more than 1 lbs nitrogen per 1000 sq feet at any one time you'll probably be OK. Look for slow release type sources with sulfur coated urea. Uncoated urea or ammonium nitrate/sulfate type stuff can burn or be lost if you aren't careful.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Missed the fall overseed window in Late Sept/Early October so now I’m reading about dormant broadcast seeding. Lawn looks pretty good already, just looking to thicken, cover some areas and make it more uniform. Anyway, wanted to get opinions, and anything to do going into spring. Is Weed-And-Feed a no go in spring since the seeds won’t start until after the thaw?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I should probably get out and run the mower over the lawn to mulch and bag the leaves that are still in my yard now that they have all fallen off. I did that a few weeks ago so this should clean up nicely.

ghettocowboy4cy

Oct 27, 2013
Missed the fall overseed window in Late Sept/Early October so now I’m reading about dormant broadcast seeding. Lawn looks pretty good already, just looking to thicken, cover some areas and make it more uniform. Anyway, wanted to get opinions, and anything to do going into spring. Is Weed-And-Feed a no go in spring since the seeds won’t start until after the thaw?

If you want to broadcast this late in the game, watch the weather for snow and do it right before so the birds etc don't get to it as bad.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I should probably get out and run the mower over the lawn to mulch and bag the leaves that are still in my yard now that they have all fallen off. I did that a few weeks ago so this should clean up nicely.

Start at the far end of your lawn. Mow one direction, a pain but it required. Keep blowing onto the unmowed part of your lawn, it will mulch it up better. Last pass, keep blowing it the same direction. Your neighbor does not want you on his lawn so stop at that point.